ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #15511
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
i have jesse racks. they seemed the strongest and "tightest" racks on the market.

they look the nicest when the bags arent on IMHO
you can tell by how i had to bend in my altrider luggage rack how tight they can be mounted. i have about 1/4" between the blinkers and the boxes

they fit within my rumbux cage and my boxes arent small
I've got a new set of Odyssee 2's for a 950 in my shop now. Quality work and they really fit close to the bike. Both good and bad for what I'm trying to do.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #15512
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar View Post
Pretty pleased with the Happy Trails set up
sorry for the multiple posts. I'm not quite fininshed with my first cup.

HT is now winning.

I know others have Holans which are pretty scarce in the states. TT is prolly another option.

I'll be borrowing an OEM set to cover that application. I just need a full rack set for my own bike and a starting point for others. I'll be making an expedition quality box to mount to the racks along with other usefull additions.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #15513
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Here's another vote for the Conti's. I really like the way they hold in the wet. They do wear faster than the k60, but I like the smoothness of the Conti..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #15514
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Here's another vote for the Conti's. I really like the way they hold in the wet. They do wear faster than the k60, but I like the smoothness of the Conti..
Just for having options, I used Conti Road Attack 2 on my GS. Worked great. Also a recommendation for the Michelin Anakee 2. Is a good tire for 98% road.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #15515
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,411
[QUOTE=Flydream;20519057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Glubs... you’re right!!

Well… because I’m quite small I search for big riders...

no comments on this pluric ???
seems that the black is getting jaumev if you know what i mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post

(ok... waiting Pluric... )

I'm on the cruise ship trying to decide if it's worth the 75 cents a minute
for internet to flip people shit. Tuff call.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #15516
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,411
By the way, I go out of town for a few days and all you do is talk bikes??? WTF?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #15517
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Hi guys... can anyone help me out with a doubt on which tires to use for my upcoming ROAD trip. My wife and i will cover some 8000km across Spain, Portugal and France, late this May, and i'am confused on tire choice. Most of the times i use knobbies,but now i need something with hi millage,and good road manners, How bad would be to choose K60 compared to other, more road biased tires? Do they feel the same as TKC and Karoo's, or more like Tourances etc.?
Thing is, i wanna give a chance to K60 to prove themselves as a best universal all-round tire, even if on this trip there will not be any off road riding, unless i get lost.
To make it short... Yes or no? If it's "No", then which ones?

Your help will be much,much appreciated.
I had the Conti Attacks on and, as said, they are very grippy if that is what you need. They are currently in my garage, little used, as I like you, virtually always use off road tyres.
I have also just swapped a worn out TCK 80 rear for a K60 and I am very impressed with it, as was my wife. The tyre is a lot smoother than the TCK and she noticed the better ride immediately. The TCK was also very grippy but I used up 50% of it in 3 days on twisty mountain roads. The K60 has not yet done much mileage but other accounts give long life results. They are a lot cheaper too. I was so impressed I will be changing the front for a K60 soon.

At the end of the day it really depends what you intend to do with it and how you ride. All tyres are a compromise between longevity and grip.

.....Yes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #15518
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,498
[QUOTE=pluric;20534484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post

cheap bastard, you probably booked a cruise on the Costa Concordia

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 11:22 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #15519
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Spring s going to be here soon so I need to get my ass in gear.

What is the most popular pannier rack option for the S10?

I need racks in place before I start on my list of baubles and bolt-ons.
The Happy Trails racks are pretty tough and I really like their mounting system... I've used their system on my KLR for several years with good results. The boxes don't come off unless you take them off, but when you want them off they come off easily... I have the Happy Trails 9" Teton boxes, they have been through Hell and back and still look pretty good, they have never dented, bent or changed shape through my many tip overs on nasty mountain roads with lots of boulders and rocks...
The Happy Trails system will turn Your 1200 Tenere into a "big butted girl"... their rack system and boxes are equa distant on each side of the bike, making the overall rack system a lot wider than some others. I like this because it gave me room to mount my tool tube under the right rack which balances up nicely with the left side where the exhaust is... we'll have to see how wide is too wide... I have a KLR for the tougher mountain trails and plan to ride the Tenere 80% tarmac... without any single track at all... so the width of the HT system doesn't bother me... ymmv

silverspurs screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 01:16 AM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #15520
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Tnx guys for your experiences. Unfortunately, where i live, Conti's are the least available tires. Metz, Michelin, Bridge...no problem what so ever. Even for the Haidenau's i've got to pull a couple of magic tricks.

@Ray
Usually i do everything with my s10, but mostly commuting and travelling. When the day comes that i want to go offroading with it, i don't want to change tires. Therefore, if this K60 is comfy enough for a big road trip, i'am done searching for the right tire any more.
I guess, if i dont try it now, i'll never no. Than again, i don't want to ruin my holiday because of the shaky tire.
I'll do some more reshearch and i'll let you know how it went, if i choose Haidie's.

Tnx.

©
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #15521
wordnerd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Tnx guys for your experiences. Unfortunately, where i live, Conti's are the least available tires. Metz, Michelin, Bridge...no problem what so ever. Even for the Haidenau's i've got to pull a couple of magic tricks.

@Ray
Usually i do everything with my s10, but mostly commuting and travelling. When the day comes that i want to go offroading with it, i don't want to change tires. Therefore, if this K60 is comfy enough for a big road trip, i'am done searching for the right tire any more.
I guess, if i dont try it now, i'll never no. Than again, i don't want to ruin my holiday because of the shaky tire.
I'll do some more reshearch and i'll let you know how it went, if i choose Haidie's.

Tnx.

©
We're getting over 20,000 miles (not km) on the K60s in commuting and highway use in the US. I did a 10,000 mile ride on mine and didn't half use the rear. They get really squared off at the end but they ride well and while not a sport tire, I've had mine in on twisty roads many times. I ride regularly 2-up or with lot of weight and the tires have been great.
wordnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #15522
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
The Happy Trails racks are pretty tough and I really like their mounting system... I've used their system on my KLR for several years with good results. The boxes don't come off unless you take them off, but when you want them off they come off easily... I have the Happy Trails 9" Teton boxes, they have been through Hell and back and still look pretty good, they have never dented, bent or changed shape through my many tip overs on nasty mountain roads with lots of boulders and rocks...
The Happy Trails system will turn Your 1200 Tenere into a "big butted girl"... their rack system and boxes are equa distant on each side of the bike, making the overall rack system a lot wider than some others. I like this because it gave me room to mount my tool tube under the right rack which balances up nicely with the left side where the exhaust is... we'll have to see how wide is too wide... I have a KLR for the tougher mountain trails and plan to ride the Tenere 80% tarmac... without any single track at all... so the width of the HT system doesn't bother me... ymmv
Could you post a pic of the bike with just the HT racks (no boxes) from either side? Please...?

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #15523
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
http://www.happy-trail.com/ZoomImage...2-5f6ff3768609

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #15524
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,405
[QUOTE=pluric;20534484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post

You is a cheapskate bar steward

I have just paid $42 just to phone the US embassy in London (all to the US govt - not the phone company) for the privilege of allowing them to take another $320 off my card for a 30 minute visa interview next week.

75 cents...pah....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #15525
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
It's the left side I really want to see, the HT site doesn't show it. But thanks.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote