Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #15916
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I got mine to start to weave a little bit at a GPS'd 115mph with 3 Trax cases on it all fully loaded and only about 2/3 preload on the rear shock and about 215 pounds of me in gear on it, with a huge cal-sci windscreen.

But true tank slapping head shake? Only my old Tiger did that.
crazyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #15917
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
When I switched out to K60s I got a good surprised. Just hitting triple digits the
front end was all over the place. It was rock steady with the stockers.

I'm on my second set of K60s and same thing. I know it's coming now.
Noticed mine does that on K60s too (if the triple digits are Km/hr) upping the pressures to max recomended seems to reduce it for the most part but i also tend not to push it that way much these days
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #15918
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Tempting

Does it come come with colour coded milk crate?

It's not black is it?
I thought some folks on this forum would be all over a "black" bike.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #15919
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
Last bike I had a head shake on was many moons ago, it was the Magna 1100 V4. I didn't know suspensions back then, so just lived with it, very scary tho as it came in turns and high speed usually under acceleration.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #15920
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,551
Laugh "Scary" is an accurate description...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Last bike I had a head shake on was many moons ago, it was the Magna 1100 V4. I didn't know suspensions back then, so just lived with it, very scary tho as it came in turns and high speed usually under acceleration.

Ah, yes... Honda's V-65 1100 Magna. Sold a ton of 'em when I was a dealer. Honda's ad machine hyped its horsepower and dragstrip performance, but neglected to mention its rather, uh... *elastic* handling characteristics!

One of the worst "tankslappers" I ever experienced was on an 1100 Magna. Four of us were playing high-speed games shooting for top end with some different bikes, and switching off to try each one. My stint on our demo 1100 Magna we were doing a very gentle uphill left on the freeway at around 120, and I crossed a not that big pavement transition, and the front end started oscillating. I did the usual first recommended of staying hard on the gas and trying to get my weight further aft - hard to do on that stupid Magna seat - and it just made things worse. Weaving was amplifying, and took me all the way left across a little concrete gutter transition to the concrete shoulder going to the concrete wall and chain-lnk fence. When it crossed that tiny gutter the bike got really upset... Shaking like a just bathed English sheepdog. It was whipping back and forth so bad that it swung my feet off the pegs and took me all the way to the wall.

In fact, it was the wall that saved me. I had gotten out of the throttle, preparing to get flung off, but when we bumped the wall it sort of damped it out and the weaving got where I could muscle it out, slowing the whole time. By the time I got everything in hand and my feet back on the pegs I was down to about 60, and scared sh*tless, rolling down the concrete shoulder.

One funny thing... As it was headshaking so bad at one point as I was preparing to bail off I glanced down and I swear I could see those long forks flexing back and forth like two cane stalks, and the Magna's had a fork brace! Unnerving at best...

I rode that piglet back to the shop at a sedate speed, where all the other guys who had been riding with me were laughing like hell, and I never rode one of those nasty SOB's ever again. We still sold the hell outta' them, but we always made sure anybody buying one knew that they were *NOT* intended for high-speed cornering...

They were fast for their day, though...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 05:57 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #15921
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Ok judging by the avalanche of responses I would say that we are all in denial.

Just wondering whether I just had a weird bike. No hard starting unless I spend hours making it. No loose spokes, no head shakes....

I think I've been duped.. POS YAMAHA.

Well, I have TKC80's and if I ride over 195kph I do get a front wheel shake. I try my best to ride at 194kph in order to prevent that.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #15922
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,702
My old ST1100 would get a case of the shakes on decel around 40 mph. It was no big deal if you had both hands on the bars but if you took your hands off, God help you. I hadn't had the bike that long and was coasting to a stop because of a red light. For some reason, I took both hands off of the bars for a second. That big red pig started to tank slap itself violently. Scared the shit out of me. Fortunately, I was able to regain control of both the bike and my bowels. That bike was great for eating miles and miles of super slab but I never did trust its handling in anything curvy.

sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #15923
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
My old ST1100 would get a case of the shakes on decel around 40 mph. It was no big deal if you had both hands on the bars but if you took your hands off, God help you. I hadn't had the bike that long and was coasting to a stop because of a red light. For some reason, I took both hands off of the bars for a second. That big red pig started to tank slap itself violently. Scared the shit out of me. Fortunately, I was able to regain control of both the bike and my bowels. That bike was great for eating miles and miles of super slab but I never did trust its handling in anything curvy.
My 93 ST1100 had the same decel headshake, started about 29,000 miles. I put tapered steering head bearings in it and it never had that problem again in the next 50,000+ miles I put on it.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #15924
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Ah, yes... Honda's V-65 1100 Magna. Sold a ton of 'em when I was a dealer. Honda's ad machine hyped its horsepower and dragstrip performance, but neglected to mention its rather, uh... *elastic* handling characteristics! ...

Probably my favorite commercial, when I was a kid...

I was never a sports fan, but used to watch "Wide World of Sports", just to see if I would catch it.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #15925
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
FAST, yep! I can't remember how many times I come up on someone leaving a redlight in a huff, I would downshift and goose that thing, go by them like they were sitting still. 2 tickets in one night pretty well did it for me, hit me in the pocket book and I change pretty quick. Sold that puppy to my mailman, he used to putt all over on it for years.

I tried everything to get out of the headshake, even slamming on the front brakes repeatedly, nothing worked but slowing down and starting over.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #15926
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Well, I have TKC80's and if I ride over 195kph I do get a front wheel shake. I try my best to ride at 194kph in order to prevent that.
That'll be the knobs flying off.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #15927
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,172
I thought the ECU flash only gave a couple of extra BHP.

I just had my bike Flashed with the ECUunleashed system and I had a PCV fitted. It was then Dyno'd and tuned and this is the result. An extra 8 bhp at the rear wheel which works out to about an extra 10 bhp at the crank.

This is the 5th gear results, TCS off and S mode. 84.8 bhp before, 92.8 bhp after. There are no other power train mods on my bike. (i.e. stock exhaust/ air filter etc)

And this is the torque difference in 2nd gear. Bloody hell !!!!!

I haven't collected the bike yet but cannot wait till Saturday when I do. I am also doing a test ride on a Triumph 1200 Explorer just to see what it is like. Don't worry, I am a Yamaha man at heart.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #15928
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Hey, I thought we had a deal!! Now your trying to deal off that great dual sport to someone else
It's in such high demand I got confused as to who all wanted it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #15929
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,603
Git,

I had a question about your first graph...

During roll-ons, and somewhere between ~3500 and 4500 PPM, my bike has this incessant "drumming", as if the timing is completely dicked-up.

It appears, from the graph, that they were able to smooth things out, in that area (orange lines).

There is a poster (can't recall his screenname), on YST.com, who says that the ECUnleashed reflash neither made that much of a difference, nor smoothed-out the drumming on his bike. So, from that comment, and from what I can see, the PC-V (combined with the reflash) seems to make all the difference.

So, my question is...

What exactly can they do with the PC-V? (ignition timing, etc.)

Thanks.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #15930
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Probably my favorite commercial, when I was a kid...

The "famed" Jay Gleason at the helm.... he could get a couple nano-seconds faster out of just about any bike of the day.