Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #16516
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Now you are going to have a couple of hours having fun: cutting and modding...
Cutting?! No thanks! There's usually a point where I cut in the wrong place and the fun goes away really quickly.

tremor38 screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 04:58 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #16517
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
final drive leaking. Help needed

My S10 has 11 000 kilometers now. When it had about 3000 km, after a ride, a couple of drops of oil appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin. It was definitely oil because of the smell.
When it had around 8000 km, after a 3500 km ride around my country, some drops appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin again. Nothing to worry about. Both times I just cleaned the pumpkin and with a pressure washer cleaned the gap between the back of the casing and the hub. Both times it worked. I assumed it was some grit in the central retainer.

Now, however, cleaning and washing with pressure don't seem to work. Now it drips to the floor and the leak has become bigger and unstoppable ( As a GS!!!). I cheked the oil level and it is always fine. I changed the drive oil last time when it has 5000 Km. Always using mobil 1 synth drive oil.
I have not taken the rear wheel off ever, but I wonder if the final drive has a retainer in the center of the casing where the axle crosses. It is definitely coming from there and not from the assembly with the shaft as other have shown.

I need your help. It is driving me nuts!!!! I am kind of paranoid with leaks. You know ex beemer owner!!!!

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #16518
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Originally Posted by bouldertag When and if i get this tenere i will show you me doing a table top jump on it. I did it with my 640 adventure 410 pounds so i will try it with this if i get it...

Oh! Sh$%^!!

Note to self, GrahamD will never forget a post....

I think I forgot to add I was trying to be funny. Well I guess I need to get to the gym and start prepping for my ultimate ________.

bouldertag screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 07:04 AM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #16519
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
It was 55F and sunny yesterday...even though my Driveway was a complete mud pit. I took the Tenere out for its first ride...only 10 miles as it was late in the day and I was exhausted from along trip. What smile I had on my face

Trying to get up my driveway (steep hill with wet gravel/mud) the traction control kept kicking in and and stalling the bike. Or I just haven't gotten use to it or something, Had to kick it to TC2 to allow me enough throttle to go up the hill. I was being overly cautions....didn't want to dump the bike first time out.

Very happy with the bike
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #16520
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
My S10 has 11 000 kilometers now. When it had about 3000 km, after a ride, a couple of drops of oil appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin. It was definitely oil because of the smell.
When it had around 8000 km, after a 3500 km ride around my country, some drops appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin again. Nothing to worry about. Both times I just cleaned the pumpkin and with a pressure washer cleaned the gap between the back of the casing and the hub. Both times it worked. I assumed it was some grit in the central retainer.

Now, however, cleaning and washing with pressure don't seem to work. Now it drips to the floor and the leak has become bigger and unstoppable ( As a GS!!!). I cheked the oil level and it is always fine. I changed the drive oil last time when it has 5000 Km. Always using mobil 1 synth drive oil.
I have not taken the rear wheel off ever, but I wonder if the final drive has a retainer in the center of the casing where the axle crosses. It is definitely coming from there and not from the assembly with the shaft as other have shown.

I need your help. It is driving me nuts!!!! I am kind of paranoid with leaks. You know ex beemer owner!!!!

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
Sounds like the oil seal between the final drive and rear wheel has failed. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Go easy with the pressure washer in the future, normal hose pressure should be enough to clean anything on a bike.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #16521
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
It was 55F and sunny yesterday...even though my Driveway was a complete mud pit. I took the Tenere out for its first ride...only 10 miles as it was late in the day and I was exhausted from along trip. What smile I had on my face

Trying to get up my driveway (steep hill with wet gravel/mud) the traction control kept kicking in and and stalling the bike. Or I just haven't gotten use to it or something, Had to kick it to TC2 to allow me enough throttle to go up the hill. I was being overly cautions....didn't want to dump the bike first time out.

Very happy with the bike
You did the right thing. TC1 will stall you in a steep climb on dirt. I almost never run TC1 unless I'm on slick, wet tarmac. Besides, TC2 allows the rear end to kick out for corners, which is a hoot on a bike this size.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #16522
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
You did the right thing. TC1 will stall you in a steep climb on dirt. I almost never run TC1 unless I'm on slick, wet tarmac. Besides, TC2 allows the rear end to kick out for corners, which is a hoot on a bike this size.

Likewise, TC1 can cause you to stall out on washboard roads!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #16523
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Thanks, guess this bike has a little bit of a learning curve.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #16524
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
I've scrolled through the photo thread, but might have missed it.

Does anyone have a photo handy, of their RideOnADV sidestand foot mounted to their ride?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #16525
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I've scrolled through the photo thread, but might have missed it.

Does anyone have a photo handy, of their RideOnADV sidestand foot mounted to their ride?

http://www.google.com/search?q=rideo...5%3B768%3B1024
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #16526
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
"Soon" I'm in for a new bike.
I ride the XT660Z at the moment and always wanted to buy the S10, but now with the release of KTM's 1190 Adventure (R) I'm having doubts bout which one to get!! dilemma!!
No! You cant be a trader! You could always ride back to my place, sell me your 660, then buy an S10 to take home.

I hope all in well
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #16527
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
No! You cant be a trader! You could always ride back to my place, sell me your 660, then buy an S10 to take home.

I hope all in well
Hows your mobility these days ??
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #16528
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Hows your mobility these days ??
Getting there! I should be riding very very soon. When will you be in the Denver area? I should be able to ride with you if its 30 days out.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #16529
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Getting there! I should be riding very very soon. When will you be in the Denver area? I should be able to ride with you if its 30 days out.
Brilliant.

It will be a long while yet though, possibly June/July before we get there. We do not fly till 10th April and we have New York > Toronto > Miami > Chicago > Alaska and Vancouver to fit in first . (In that order !).

Oh, and I have to pop in to Salt Lake and see Pluric and explain to him what is meant by the term 'politically correct'.
Not that I want him to use it, just to keep him out of forum jail.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #16530
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Brilliant.

It will be a long while yet though, possibly June/July before we get there. We do not fly till 10th April and we have New York > Toronto > Miami > Chicago > Alaska and Vancouver to fit in first . (In that order !).

Oh, and I have to pop in to Salt Lake and see Pluric and explain to him what is meant by the term 'politically correct'.
Not that I want him to use it, just to keep him out of forum jail.
While you're in Utah, Pluric wants you to weld a swing and a reclining chair onto his bike. He's a bit jealous of your ride. :