ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #16516
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Now you are going to have a couple of hours having fun: cutting and modding...
Cutting?! No thanks! There's usually a point where I cut in the wrong place and the fun goes away really quickly.
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z

tremor38 screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 04:58 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #16517
NicolasR
Adventurer
 
NicolasR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Oddometer: 41
final drive leaking. Help needed

My S10 has 11 000 kilometers now. When it had about 3000 km, after a ride, a couple of drops of oil appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin. It was definitely oil because of the smell.
When it had around 8000 km, after a 3500 km ride around my country, some drops appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin again. Nothing to worry about. Both times I just cleaned the pumpkin and with a pressure washer cleaned the gap between the back of the casing and the hub. Both times it worked. I assumed it was some grit in the central retainer.

Now, however, cleaning and washing with pressure don't seem to work. Now it drips to the floor and the leak has become bigger and unstoppable ( As a GS!!!). I cheked the oil level and it is always fine. I changed the drive oil last time when it has 5000 Km. Always using mobil 1 synth drive oil.
I have not taken the rear wheel off ever, but I wonder if the final drive has a retainer in the center of the casing where the axle crosses. It is definitely coming from there and not from the assembly with the shaft as other have shown.

I need your help. It is driving me nuts!!!! I am kind of paranoid with leaks. You know ex beemer owner!!!!

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #16518
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr
 
bouldertag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Originally Posted by bouldertag When and if i get this tenere i will show you me doing a table top jump on it. I did it with my 640 adventure 410 pounds so i will try it with this if i get it...


Oh! Sh$%^!!

Note to self, GrahamD will never forget a post....

I think I forgot to add I was trying to be funny. Well I guess I need to get to the gym and start prepping for my ultimate ________.
__________________
Burn out dont fade away!!

bouldertag screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 07:04 AM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #16519
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,727
It was 55F and sunny yesterday...even though my Driveway was a complete mud pit. I took the Tenere out for its first ride...only 10 miles as it was late in the day and I was exhausted from along trip. What smile I had on my face

Trying to get up my driveway (steep hill with wet gravel/mud) the traction control kept kicking in and and stalling the bike. Or I just haven't gotten use to it or something, Had to kick it to TC2 to allow me enough throttle to go up the hill. I was being overly cautions....didn't want to dump the bike first time out.

Very happy with the bike
__________________
"Beer cans explode with a nice loud pop when they are hit by a Heidenau K60 at 40 miles an hour. Now my bike smells like last call..." Me
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #16520
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In Transit
Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
My S10 has 11 000 kilometers now. When it had about 3000 km, after a ride, a couple of drops of oil appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin. It was definitely oil because of the smell.
When it had around 8000 km, after a 3500 km ride around my country, some drops appeared in the bottom of the pumpkin again. Nothing to worry about. Both times I just cleaned the pumpkin and with a pressure washer cleaned the gap between the back of the casing and the hub. Both times it worked. I assumed it was some grit in the central retainer.

Now, however, cleaning and washing with pressure don't seem to work. Now it drips to the floor and the leak has become bigger and unstoppable ( As a GS!!!). I cheked the oil level and it is always fine. I changed the drive oil last time when it has 5000 Km. Always using mobil 1 synth drive oil.
I have not taken the rear wheel off ever, but I wonder if the final drive has a retainer in the center of the casing where the axle crosses. It is definitely coming from there and not from the assembly with the shaft as other have shown.

I need your help. It is driving me nuts!!!! I am kind of paranoid with leaks. You know ex beemer owner!!!!

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
Sounds like the oil seal between the final drive and rear wheel has failed. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Go easy with the pressure washer in the future, normal hose pressure should be enough to clean anything on a bike.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #16521
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
It was 55F and sunny yesterday...even though my Driveway was a complete mud pit. I took the Tenere out for its first ride...only 10 miles as it was late in the day and I was exhausted from along trip. What smile I had on my face

Trying to get up my driveway (steep hill with wet gravel/mud) the traction control kept kicking in and and stalling the bike. Or I just haven't gotten use to it or something, Had to kick it to TC2 to allow me enough throttle to go up the hill. I was being overly cautions....didn't want to dump the bike first time out.

Very happy with the bike
You did the right thing. TC1 will stall you in a steep climb on dirt. I almost never run TC1 unless I'm on slick, wet tarmac. Besides, TC2 allows the rear end to kick out for corners, which is a hoot on a bike this size.


Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #16522
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
You did the right thing. TC1 will stall you in a steep climb on dirt. I almost never run TC1 unless I'm on slick, wet tarmac. Besides, TC2 allows the rear end to kick out for corners, which is a hoot on a bike this size.


Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Likewise, TC1 can cause you to stall out on washboard roads!
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #16523
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,727
Thanks, guess this bike has a little bit of a learning curve.
__________________
"Beer cans explode with a nice loud pop when they are hit by a Heidenau K60 at 40 miles an hour. Now my bike smells like last call..." Me
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #16524
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...
 
WARRIORPRINCEJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: South Central Texas
Oddometer: 9,723
I've scrolled through the photo thread, but might have missed it.

Does anyone have a photo handy, of their RideOnADV sidestand foot mounted to their ride?


.
__________________
I spent all my money on motorcycles, 4X4's, whiskey, and women...The rest I just wasted. (edited to fit/original phrase by "WIBO")

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #16525
pluric
Banned
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I've scrolled through the photo thread, but might have missed it.

Does anyone have a photo handy, of their RideOnADV sidestand foot mounted to their ride?


.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rideo...5%3B768%3B1024
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #16526
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Geology Rocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Out looking for Bigfoot
Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
"Soon" I'm in for a new bike.
I ride the XT660Z at the moment and always wanted to buy the S10, but now with the release of KTM's 1190 Adventure (R) I'm having doubts bout which one to get!! dilemma!!
No! You cant be a trader! You could always ride back to my place, sell me your 660, then buy an S10 to take home.

I hope all in well
__________________
Romans 5: 3-5
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z
2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #16527
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
No! You cant be a trader! You could always ride back to my place, sell me your 660, then buy an S10 to take home.

I hope all in well
Hows your mobility these days ??
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #16528
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Geology Rocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Out looking for Bigfoot
Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Hows your mobility these days ??
Getting there! I should be riding very very soon. When will you be in the Denver area? I should be able to ride with you if its 30 days out.
__________________
Romans 5: 3-5
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z
2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #16529
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Getting there! I should be riding very very soon. When will you be in the Denver area? I should be able to ride with you if its 30 days out.
Brilliant.

It will be a long while yet though, possibly June/July before we get there. We do not fly till 10th April and we have New York > Toronto > Miami > Chicago > Alaska and Vancouver to fit in first . (In that order !).

Oh, and I have to pop in to Salt Lake and see Pluric and explain to him what is meant by the term 'politically correct'.
Not that I want him to use it, just to keep him out of forum jail.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #16530
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Brilliant.

It will be a long while yet though, possibly June/July before we get there. We do not fly till 10th April and we have New York > Toronto > Miami > Chicago > Alaska and Vancouver to fit in first . (In that order !).

Oh, and I have to pop in to Salt Lake and see Pluric and explain to him what is meant by the term 'politically correct'.
Not that I want him to use it, just to keep him out of forum jail.
While you're in Utah, Pluric wants you to weld a swing and a reclining chair onto his bike. He's a bit jealous of your ride. :

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014