ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #16621
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
You can just do what I did and install this, fused connection directly to the battery. Its also where I plug the bike into the batter tender.

For reliability . . .
It's better to add a small panel than to drill in the plastic sub-frame. Follow the frame to see what all it holds and then think about a crack starting from one of these new mounting holes will do.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #16622
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
You would know all about slime pumps.
Well, I never! GB could you please delete this obscene sexual innuendo???

Nevermind PM sent.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #16623
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
Ray -

How will your Supa10 exhaust the engine heat with those Wolfman bags so close to the fan exit??

Can the thing breathe???

(*I'm sure you've thought of this already - just seems so very close to that hot air escape area.*)
hANNAbONE and pluric,

Fair comment, but when I made the bars up 2 years ago I had this in mind and even allowed space to remove both the side panels without removing the bars.

I have tested it for 50 miles but the weather was relatively cold. If the fan stays on whilst riding out of town I will have a rethink.

See this old pic:
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #16624
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 429
I thought about this excellent bike even before it came out but had some issues so I have waited to get one. Next month they will release the new KTM1190R here in Australia which seems to be a great bike as well but since I can get the XTZ brand new or a demo for AUD$5-7K cheaper I wonder if the new KTM is that much better, a test ride will tell.
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). Seems to be vibrations from the handlebar? Need to use the clutch at lower speeds, like the shaft drive idea but gearing can not be changed. That the XTZ got around 35% lower power output does not worry me since I got a back up bike if need will be for the drag strip. Tank range? My current DL650 can go up to 500km`s between fill ups and the KTM according to owners in Europe says around 300-400km. My mate got a XTZ1200 and I can see how fast he is on really bad roads, impressive for such a big bike! Need a bit more convincing than the lower price compared to the KTM1190 but price is an issue of course and for AUD$5K+ I can get a lot of extras for the XTZ. Anyone that had buffeting problems that solved that issue? Many thanks for a great forum!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #16625
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.
 
Happy Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, almost heaven!
Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I thought about this excellent bike even before it came out but had some issues so I have waited to get one. Next month they will release the new KTM1190R here in Australia which seems to be a great bike as well but since I can get the XTZ brand new or a demo for AUD$5-7K cheaper I wonder if the new KTM is that much better, a test ride will tell.
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). Seems to be vibrations from the handlebar? Need to use the clutch at lower speeds, like the shaft drive idea but gearing can not be changed. That the XTZ got around 35% lower power output does not worry me since I got a back up bike if need will be for the drag strip. Tank range? My current DL650 can go up to 500km`s between fill ups and the KTM according to owners in Europe says around 300-400km. My mate got a XTZ1200 and I can see how fast he is on really bad roads, impressive for such a big bike! Need a bit more convincing than the lower price compared to the KTM1190 but price is an issue of course and for AUD$5K+ I can get a lot of extras for the XTZ. Anyone that had buffeting problems that solved that issue? Many thanks for a great forum!
I find that the standard screen with an adjustable bracket works for me for the buffeting issue.

Cheers

Mark Taylor
__________________
Happy Snapper

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #16626
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
.............
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). ...............
Most people have this problem and as such there are now many aftermarket screens and adjusters. DO NOT be tempted to buy the larger Yamaha one. It is actually the same size but a bit wider at the top.

Piccy of the "Large" one installed and the original held on top.

__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 03:41 PM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #16627
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RonKZ650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 238
It seems like 95% of the stock screens are mounted wrong, using the top holes, where they are supposed to mount in the lower holes. I don't know if using the wrong mounting points makes for more or less wind turbulence, but mine is mounted low where it's supposed to be and any wind tubulence I get is not enough to even think about for me anyway.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #16628
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,753
Talking Texas Hill Country & Lone Star M/C Museum This Weekend - March 22 - 24

~

Any of you Texas Tenere pilots gonna' been anywhere around the Texas Hill Country this coming weekend - March 22nd - 24th?

I'm meeting up with some guys from the "3rd Coast Ducati" group for some Hill Country twisty fun and visit to the "Lone Start Motorcycle Museum" (http://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/) in Vanderpool. Some may not be aware of it, but the owner/curator/restoration wrench/etc. of the museum, Allan Johncock, has been having some health issues so a bunch of us decided we'd ride up, spend the weekend in the Hill Country, and go pay that wonderful gentleman a visit. Would be great to meet up with some of you here while up there and get to ride with ya' in person!

Most of the group is arriving in Kerrville on Friday, March 22, and staying at the YO Ranch Resort Hotel (http://www.yoresort.com/). Plan is to ride all day Saturday and Sunday, with some heading home Sunday evening and others on Monday. Group ranges from ex-expert racers to novices, and bikes from classic '80's Honda's to the latest and greatest Ducati sportbikes, with lots in between. No real routes, etc. laid out yet as this is pretty free-form group... But for this ride everything will be on pavement as all but a couple of bikes are pure street iron.

Post in this thread or drop me a PM if you're interested in meeting up, and I hope to see some of you there this weekend!

Thanks!

Now back to your regularly scheduled "Pluric Sex & Slime" programming...

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #16629
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MurphCO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I thought about this excellent bike even before it came out but had some issues so I have waited to get one. Next month they will release the new KTM1190R here in Australia which seems to be a great bike as well but since I can get the XTZ brand new or a demo for AUD$5-7K cheaper I wonder if the new KTM is that much better, a test ride will tell.
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). Seems to be vibrations from the handlebar? Need to use the clutch at lower speeds, like the shaft drive idea but gearing can not be changed. That the XTZ got around 35% lower power output does not worry me since I got a back up bike if need will be for the drag strip. Tank range? My current DL650 can go up to 500km`s between fill ups and the KTM according to owners in Europe says around 300-400km. My mate got a XTZ1200 and I can see how fast he is on really bad roads, impressive for such a big bike! Need a bit more convincing than the lower price compared to the KTM1190 but price is an issue of course and for AUD$5K+ I can get a lot of extras for the XTZ. Anyone that had buffeting problems that solved that issue? Many thanks for a great forum!
How tall are you?

That plays into the buffeting fix.....


I'm 6'-3" and I got a madstad adjustable bracket (great for GPS Mount too) and the Madstad 20 inch windshield. I prefer it at 90 degrees, makes for a nice bubble of wind free space for me
__________________
Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. - Evel Knievel
MurphCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #16630
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
I find that the standard screen with an adjustable bracket works for me for the buffeting issue.
Same for me. Using the Tobinator bracket.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #16631
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 429
In the beginning with my DL650 I tried to sort out the buffeting with different screens and Madstad bracket but the only thing that reduced the buffeting to almost non existent was to remove the screen, the lower/no screen the less buffeting just clean air which is nice especially when it is hot.
If I ever buy the XT1200 I probably remove the screen completely or get a shorty screen. I`m 5 11 (180cm), the taller the better.
I most likely will get a replacement for my DL soon. Looking at the XT1200, KTM 1190R or a second hand GSA. The retail price for the XT is around AUD$20-21K and for another 3-4 grand I get the KTM that already got low screen, 150 hp, 25-30 kilo lighter e.t.c. but I`m a Yamaha man..... a friend at my work place is willing to let go of his very little used GSA for 1/2 the price what it originally cost but heard a lot of issues that happen to the GS models.
Cheers.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #16632
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 384
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Any of you Texas Tenere pilots gonna' been anywhere around the Texas Hill Country this coming weekend - March 22nd - 24th?

I'm meeting up with some guys from the "3rd Coast Ducati" group for some Hill Country twisty fun and visit to the "Lone Start Motorcycle Museum" (http://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/) in Vanderpool. Some may not be aware of it, but the owner/curator/restoration wrench/etc. of the museum, Allan Johncock, has been having some health issues so a bunch of us decided we'd ride up, spend the weekend in the Hill Country, and go pay that wonderful gentleman a visit. Would be great to meet up with some of you here while up there and get to ride with ya' in person!

Most of the group is arriving in Kerrville on Friday, March 22, and staying at the YO Ranch Resort Hotel (http://www.yoresort.com/). Plan is to ride all day Saturday and Sunday, with some heading home Sunday evening and others on Monday. Group ranges from ex-expert racers to novices, and bikes from classic '80's Honda's to the latest and greatest Ducati sportbikes, with lots in between. No real routes, etc. laid out yet as this is pretty free-form group... But for this ride everything will be on pavement as all but a couple of bikes are pure street iron.

Post in this thread or drop me a PM if you're interested in meeting up, and I hope to see some of you there this weekend!

Thanks!

Now back to your regularly scheduled "Pluric Sex & Slime" programming...

Dallara



~
BOY! Does that sound great. I haven't ridden down in that part of the earth for a long time. But I'd have to getta snowplow to open my garage to get ol'Blackie (the FAST one) out. Too darn badd. Have a ball. Going skiing, again, instead.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #16633
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
In the beginning with my DL650 I tried to sort out the buffeting with different screens and Madstad bracket but the only thing that reduced the buffeting to almost non existent was to remove the screen, the lower/no screen the less buffeting just clean air which is nice especially when it is hot.
If I ever buy the XT1200 I probably remove the screen completely or get a shorty screen. I`m 5 11 (180cm), the taller the better.
I most likely will get a replacement for my DL soon. Looking at the XT1200, KTM 1190R or a second hand GSA. The retail price for the XT is around AUD$20-21K and for another 3-4 grand I get the KTM that already got low screen, 150 hp, 25-30 kilo lighter e.t.c. but I`m a Yamaha man..... a friend at my work place is willing to let go of his very little used GSA for 1/2 the price what it originally cost but heard a lot of issues that happen to the GS models.
Cheers.
Hey Red.

I sold a DL 1K for the S10. As regards the buffeting. It is better on the S10 than a stock Strom for me. A bit worse than a very tilted Madstad though. Basically I used the madstad to get the air off my helmet but still not blowing me off the bike, so my head was in cleanish air but my chest wasn't being a wind sock if you know what I mean.
It's all pretty much solvable with a small amount of money and none of them to date have been that good regardless what the press says.

Good luck with the hunt..Glad I have found the bike I like though
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #16634
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kelvininin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: The way left and wet coast.
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
For reliability . . .
It's better to add a small panel than to drill in the plastic sub-frame. Follow the frame to see what all it holds and then think about a crack starting from one of these new mounting holes will do.
The only thing that was modified as the drilling of 4 small screw holes for the bulkhead SAE fitting. This was installed in place of the factory 12V 3A Cig lighter port and this part is not structurally to the bike at all.

The original switched 3A power is used to power my GPS, the SAE connection a fused connection directly to the battery.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #16635
Space Traveler
explorer
 
Space Traveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Most people have this problem and as such there are now many aftermarket screens and adjusters. DO NOT be tempted to buy the larger Yamaha one. It is actually the same size but a bit wider at the top.

Piccy of the "Large" one installed and the original held on top.


I just rode 60km with the bike and I have the wider screen with winglets. It is noisy, but no turbulence at all, and wind on shoulders was minimal. Really happy with this setup.

I was on a R1200GS last year, and I think the S10 have a better airflow with this shield and winglets. Can't compare with the GSA, never rode one.

Will comment a little more when it gets warmer.
Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014