Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #16831
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
What goes around comes around.

I'm kinda jealous watching you guys pick up your new bikes. Guess it's
pay backs for when you watched us get ours last year.

I can't even think of a new doodad to get to make me feel better.

Well, enjoy it. I know many are.
here ya go .... and they are BLUE

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #16832
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Uh, interested in a project bike? I think I'll be finally moving on from the Uly, I'll give you a special Utard deal on that. What have you been saying to annoy the Moderators?
It's interesting you can call a Uly rider an inbred, sheep shagging, pedophile, knob sucking, rainbow loving,
unicorn tatto wearing, front of the the gay pride parade, assless chap chumps and no one says a thing.

Buuuuuuttt, mention certain color Tenere bikes (raven) may have an ulterior agenda and dems fightn' words.

Based on your threads with your Buell experience all I can say is it's about time. What are you leaning
towards? KTM, Ducati, Ural, Royal Enfield? You know something you can just put a key in and ride?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #16833
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
here ya go .... and they are BLUE

Well that should certainly make the doodad I already have happy.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #16834
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
It's interesting you can call a Uly rider an inbred, sheep shagging, pedophile, knob sucking, rainbow loving,
unicorn tatto wearing, front of the the gay pride parade, assless chap chumps and no one says a thing.

Buuuuuuttt, mention certain color Tenere bikes (raven) may have an ulterior agenda and dems fightn' words.

Based on your threads with your Buell experience all I can say is it's about time. What are you leaning
towards? KTM, Ducati, Ural, Royal Enfield? You know something you can just put a key in and ride?
For the kind of person I am, a raving liberal atheist quasi-alcoholic tree hugging anti gun foodie, Washington is in almost every way a better placer to live than Utah. The one exception to this is that Utah has far more and better opportunities for off road riding. My riding here is, with the rare exception of the exploration of the occasional forest service gravel road, on the tarmac. Yet, I still prefer the 'adventure' class bike because I prefer the ergonomics and hey, it looks great outside of a Starbucks. Based on all that, I'm down to the short strokes on either a Super Tenere or the Triumph Tiger Explorer. I like the Tiger a bit more and the fact that the S10 is generally considered better off piste isn't a big deal to me. There's a dealer not too far from here that carries both bikes, so I intend to do a final test ride comparison perhaps as soon as this afternoon. On the other hand I'm such a cheap bastard I may just buy another Uly for parts. We'll see.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #16835
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
For the kind of person I am, a raving liberal atheist quasi-alcoholic tree hugging anti gun foodie, Washington is in almost every way a better placer to live than Utah. The one exception to this is that Utah has far more and better opportunities for off road riding. My riding here is, with the rare exception of the exploration of the occasional forest service gravel road, on the tarmac. Yet, I still prefer the 'adventure' class bike because I prefer the ergonomics and hey, it looks great outside of a Starbucks. Based on all that, I'm down to the short strokes on either a Super Tenere or the Triumph Tiger Explorer. I like the Tiger a bit more and the fact that the S10 is generally considered better off piste isn't a big deal to me. There's a dealer not too far from here that carries both bikes, so I intend to do a final test ride comparison perhaps as soon as this afternoon. On the other hand I'm such a cheap bastard I may just buy another Uly for parts. We'll see.
Sounds like a win/win. The parts bike option sounds like you are back where you started
only with less garage space.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #16836
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I was down looking at a Tenere at the Yamaha dealer today. They quoted a price of $16,000 out the door for a 2013 with tall windscreen, bags and heated grips.

Seat height is much much lower then my GS, I wonder what the ground clearance is?

How well do these bikes handle on the road? Do you think they handle as well as a BMW?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #16837
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
How well do these bikes handle on the road? Do you think they handle as well as a BMW?
Never had a tank slapper.

Off road yes, on road not as sharp. The LC has been nudged a bit more toward tarmac so the European press will salivate a bit more. Both great bikes. BMW is still the recall king though.

That info is just scraped from the interwebs. Haven't ridden an wasser yet though. Thought the older model was "very BMW" but didn't do anything much me for the extra 7K it costs here. If the older one was the same price I may have considered it.

Twinrider will have a better idea on the new one.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #16838
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:

Whine much? Get your ass out and ride that blue slug.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #16839
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I was down looking at a Tenere at the Yamaha dealer today. They quoted a price of $16,000 out the door for a 2013 with tall windscreen, bags and heated grips.

Seat height is much much lower then my GS, I wonder what the ground clearance is?

With the stock tires the Tenere is well planted, stable and feels very confident in corners.
I swapped bikes with my Beemer buddy and liked his as well. It felt lower and a little more
cramped to me. His GS felt more like a sport standard with wider bars. The Tenere was higher
and has a large dirt bike feeling.

Having quasi raced with him through the twisties outside of Cabo I have to say I was a little
nervous with the K60s. I also felt the high speed stability was sacrificed with K60s.

I've said it before, I enjoyed the Tenere over the FJR in the twisties. Just doesn't have the OMG
factor in the motor.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #16840
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Whine much? Get your ass out and ride that blue slug.
Good advice. This weekend looks promising. I feel so spring rusty it's like
"can I even do this?" kinda thing.

After trading the mid life car off on a sedan I'm feeling even more geriatric.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #16841
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 195
Recently got a Marc Parnes balancer. Did a tire on my Tenere. Works great. Front Distanzia took 5 grams.

This is a sweet unit for those intersested.

dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #16842
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Recently got a Marc Parnes balancer. Did a tire on my Tenere. Works great. Front Distanzia took 5 grams.

This is a sweet unit for those intersested.
I just shove mine back on the bike on its own axle but without the calipers or any other wheel bits.

Is that any different ???
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #16843
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
With the stock tires the Tenere is well planted, stable and feels very confident in corners.
I swapped bikes with my Beemer buddy and liked his as well. It felt lower and a little more cramped to me. His GS felt more like a sport standard with wider bars. The Tenere was higher and has a large dirt bike feeling.
Ok, that is two conflicting reviews. This Yamaha dealer is just going to have to let me try one if he wants me to buy. I want to be able to haul ass through the twisty’s then hit dirt roads.

What do you think of the price? $16,000 out the door with tall windscreen, saddlebags and heated grips.

Seat height on my GS is much higher then the S10. But I had to raise the rear of the GS to get it to handle well in the wind and at speed. I always thought there was something wrong bike. A very few on GSpot seem to have had the handling problems I had.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #16844
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,877
it's mine, it's mine, it's mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

I've been planning and scheming for almost a year now, and I finally pulled the trigger. It's got almost everything I want already on it, it's in perfect condition, OCD maintained, only 13,000 miles and a 4 year Y.E.S. warranty.

Now for a weekend in the Hill country to figure what's right and what needs to be changed..............

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #16845
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I just shove mine back on the bike on its own axle but without the calipers or any other wheel bits.

Is that any different ???
No. Not really.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote