Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #16936
Boyd Koehler
I'll ride anywhere.

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Installed a Excel Throttle Control on the Super Tenere- here's a short video.

Great video. Gunna have to get myself one of those babies.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #16937
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Several of us have come off DL 1000s. I had one for 8 years. A little tweaking and
they are fine for what they cost. Very dependable.

For me the Tenere is well worth the money difference. Performance wise they are close.
Suspension and off road ability they have a pretty large gap. The shaft is nice too.

I have no regrets moving on to the Tenere from a Strom.
+1. The Strom is good value for money, A bit rough around the edges (character). It falls more in the Jacked up street bike category and if that is 95% of what you then it's not too much of a problem.
The Wee is still a jacked up street bike but is easier to handle off road. The Wee/Vee are great for people people that are Adventure curious / occasional dirt road riders. The Vee is a good mile muncher once you find a screen that works for you.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #16938
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Laugh It's worth the difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
I see a lot of stuff here on the Tenere and the DL650, but it is almost as if the DL1000 doesn't exist.

A new DL1000 is coming (for sure, maybe), so dealers are "getting rid" of 2012 DL1000's for $8,500 out the door.

I'm a newbie, just wondering why the DL1000's are rarely mentioned.

You know how it is...just before you buy a bike you start to question everything...

I love the Tenere, just wondering why it costs $4,000 more. Hec, that is almost a KLR.

Without a doubt the Suzuki's a fine motorbike... Wonderful "bang for the buck", but as others have mentioned it's really more of a street bike dressed up like an "adventure" mount. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're looking for.

OTOH, let's look at a few things the Super Tenere has that the big 'Zook doesn't...

- There's that wonderful Yamaha shaft drive system - arguably the very best one in the world. Stone, cold reliable with no shaft-jacking effects, etc., and all without any Mickey Mouse articulation, etc.

- The Yamaha has much better suspension front and rear, especially for off-road use, and uses much more modern design and components, not mention having fully adjustable forks (preload, compression and rebound dampening). It also has over an inch more suspension travel at both ends.

- A truly spectacular traction control system. TCS-1 makes riding completely drama and worry free in the rain. TCS-2 is great both off-road and on-... letting you hang the tail out if you like, but catching you before letting anything lbad happen. And you can always turn it off if you wish.

- Arguably the finest ABS braking system ever put on a motorcycle. Certainly it was the first one ever sold to the public that worked just as well off-road as it did on pavement... Many people - most of those used to BMW's system that was downright dangerous off-road - *thought* they wanted a switch to turn the Yamaha's ABS off, but quickly learned that was completely unnecessary. It works so good off-road you never need to turn it off.

- Something rarely mentioned... The Super Tenere's linked braking. I've always *HATED* linked braking systems, but the Super Tenere's is so good, so well thought out, and so transparent that it's a joy.

- The big 'Zook has cast wheels, which is fine as long as you stay on pavement. The Yamaha has spoke wheels... much better for off-road riding.

There's other major differences, too, but that's a start. For me those alone were worth well more than the price difference between the 'Zook and the Super Tenere. And I used to own a KLR...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #16939
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,348
Dallara, I can't help but notice a new slant to your posting. Suddenly all helpful as opposed to "google it, use search dammit!" Delayed New Year's resolution? Gave up being snarky for Lent and it felt so good you kept going?

I've got a question for you, and anybody else.

So I had the re-flash done by AF-1. Talked to Ed about my needs and am very happy with the performance. He re-flashed it for 87 octane since I can get ethanol-free at many places around here, but only in 87 octane. Also, many small country gas stations around here only have 87. Plus I'm a cheap bastard and saving $.30 a gallon sounds pretty good. He also figured a slip-on into the re-flash.

I have not installed the slip-on yet... Waiting for the bike budget to build back up a bit. May not even do it then...

So yesterday I had my visor up for the first time in a while at highway speeds and rolled on the throttle at about 4000 rpm in 6th. There was pinging . Anybody else re-flash the ECU for 87 octane and get pinging? Am I the only one who didn't go for a premium fuel flash? Will installing a slip-on help it? Didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition did you?

Of course all this occurred behind a huge v-stream windshield, with the visor up, and my head down close to the tank, so perhaps it sounded much worse than it was.

Maybe I just got some gas off the tail end of the tank and it wasn't even up to 87 octane... I filled up a fresh tank with 87 octane from a much busier gas station last night, so I'll see what happens today and report back.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #16940
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
ticket says max cycle 10w40 16.49 qt
I've never run Royal Purple in the Tenere, but did in my Vstrom once just to see if it was worth $16/qt. No clutch problems with it then, but no real advantage over Mobil1 that I could tell. Is this the same type of oil you've run for the last 35k?

I guess the tune-up was done at a shop? Take it back!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #16941
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Laugh It's nice to feel wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Dallara, I can't help but notice a new slant to your posting. Suddenly all helpful as opposed to "google it, use search dammit!" Delayed New Year's resolution? Gave up being snarky for Lent and it felt so good you kept going?

So I had the re-flash done by AF-1. Talked to Ed about my needs and am very happy with the performance. He re-flashed it for 87 octane since I can get ethanol-free at many places around here, but only in 87 octane. Also, many small country gas stations around here only have 87. Plus I'm a cheap bastard and saving $.30 a gallon sounds pretty good. He also figured a slip-on into the re-flash.

I have not installed the slip-on yet... Waiting for the bike budget to build back up a bit. May not even do it then...

So yesterday I had my visor up for the first time in a while at highway speeds and rolled on the throttle at about 4000 rpm in 6th. There was pinging . Anybody else re-flash the ECU for 87 octane and get pinging? Am I the only one who didn't go for a premium fuel flash? Will installing a slip-on help it? Didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition did you?

Of course all this occurred behind a huge v-stream windshield, with the visor up, and my head down close to the tank, so perhaps it sounded much worse than it was.

Maybe I just got some gas off the tail end of the tank and it wasn't even up to 87 octane... I filled up a fresh tank with 87 octane from a much busier gas station last night, so I'll see what happens today and report back.

Ah, flattery will get you...

Well, in this case, not much.

You see, when I got my re-flash from AF-1 I went ahead and spec'ed for premium fuel. I figured that's what Yamaha preferred the bike to run on and for the most part it's readily available in my neck of the woods. Besides, since I was riding a bloody $12,000+ motorsicle I didn't want to look like a cheapskate wanting to run low-buck fuel... After all, I didn't run cheap oil or cheap filters in the damn thing.

Of course, I knew I would probably come across situations where I might have to run low-octane fuel, but if that happened I'd just be a bit more gentle and vigilant. As it turns out I have actually had to run three or four tanks of "regular" through there, but I noticed no ill effects. Ran fine, and no pinging I could ever detect. Of course, I wear ear plugs, but then again I do run a Parabellum windscreen so mine's a fairly quiet cockpit.

For the record, currently my bike still has the stock header pipes and stock muffler. Been riding the damn thing too much to ever install the Arrow headers. I run a stock paper air filter, too.

So I don't know what to tell ya' there, my backwards spinning friend. Maybe it was just some bad gas. Only way to really know is to keep ridin' and keep listenin'... You could pull the spark plugs and see if they're showing any signs of distress, but with today's ignition systems, etc. plugs burn so clean and crisp it's hard to get much of a read off them anymore until it's almost too late.

And no... it's actually not any sort of new, *kinder and gentler* Dallara out there. It's just that as of late there has been a dearth of stupid, repetitive, inane questions around here!!!

Dallara

p.s. - and I wouldn't run Royal Purple products in my lawn mower... cooking oil is better stuff.

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #16942
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Koehler View Post
Great video. Gunna have to get myself one of those babies.
I wonder now if my bike with Vibranators and Barkbusters will even work with this. I ordered one from Tom.

Will figure it out once it gets here.
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #16943
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

- Something rarely mentioned... The Super Tenere's linked braking. I've always *HATED* linked braking systems, but the Super Tenere's is so good, so well thought out, and so transparent that it's a joy.

Dallara

~
Tell me about it! I 'don't notice' the Tenere's linked braking in a good way.

OTOH, the linked brakes ('CBS') on my Blackbird were downright scary at times. Scrubbing off enough speed after going into a corner too hot was, errr...'exciting' if you weren't totally used to the system. I told myself I'd never own another bike with linked brakes unless it was combined with a very good ABS. Enter the XT1200Z
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #16944
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

And no... it's actually not any sort of new, *kinder and gentler* Dallara out there. It's just that as of late there has been a dearth of stupid, repetitive, inane questions around here!!!

Dallara

~
I can remedy that... Let me tell you about my new picture taking device.

I repeated the same scenario today, but with a full tank of 87 octane from a station that does a lot more volume than the one where the last tank came from. After giving the fuel about 15 miles to mix up and get through the lines I rolled on to WOT in 6th at 4000 rpm. I didn't hear any pinging this time, visor up with earplugs in. Ran it up to about 90mph before backing out of it and all was good. It was about 50 degrees outside as opposed to 65 yesterday.

So I guess I should mark the original gas station off the list for a while.

Either way, it's not like I run WOT much at all, so who cares. I had a full size GMC Jimmy with a 350 that pinged badly for many thousands of miles and it kept running until it threw a rod at 140k miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #16945
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:

I also had AF-1 re-flash for 87 octane. I thought it would ease fuel logistics.

I have never heard any pinging.

Qualifiers: I always wear earplugs, a helmet and have put sound deadening material on my skid plate. Those might have some impact on me not hearing anything.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16946
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
I also had AF-1 re-flash for 87 octane. I thought it would ease fuel logistics.

I have never heard any pinging.

Qualifiers: I always wear earplugs, a helmet and have put sound deadening material on my skid plate. Those might have some impact on me not hearing anything.
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few tanks of gas. Looking to run through a couple of tanks tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #16947
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Dallara, I can't help but notice a new slant to your posting. Suddenly all helpful as opposed to "google it, use search dammit!"
Dallara and Pluric rock. They should get a few t-shirts or treats from Yamaha for their tips/encouragement here.

Google and Stromtroopers.com are not quite helpful on the DL1000 Strom as Suzuki is now installing replacement ECM's and irridium (sp?) spark plugs for free to 2012 buyers that solve a list of problems.

Pluric and Dallara's comments, as usual, are on target. I wish they were wrong, only because I worry about all the farkle-factories and my lack of self-control.
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #16948
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,092
Aw shucks, thanks. (blush)
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #16949
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Bump.

Just saving the thread from becoming the bottom of the barrel. It was 1 topic away from the drain.

Snow must be melting everywhere.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #16950
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Bump.

Just saving the thread from becoming the bottom of the barrel. It was 1 topic away from the drain.

Snow must be melting everywhere.
It is certainly melting here, finally, but it's pretty cold.

That, and this stupid bikes still haven't broken. Anybody managed to break anything yet?