ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #16996
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercat View Post

I was really leaning towards the K60's...until I really had a great weekend of some of Oklahoma's finest curvy roads on the Battlewings...and realized how much I love running fast with it. But I also want to ride gravel, dirt, some mud and some sand...I'm still about 80/20 though.

Now the Anakee 3's are out...

I have read every thread on the web concerning the K60's and the Anakee 2's and 3's (not much on the 3's really out there obviously). It seems the K60's have a great following (I honestly don't care about how many miles the tires will get), I want to have a decent off road tire that won't let go on the pavement when wiping out the edges of the tires; there is a bit of contradiction concerning wet road handling with the K60's, too.

Now I'm asking for guidance here...crazy I know
I was on the fence about the K60s and decided the only way to really know would be to try them myself. Have had them on for a couple weeks now and done some touring that included very aggressive twisty riding and at times wet roads. No issues with grip at all despite the fact that the K60s will get the traction control light flashing far easier than the Battlewing. In the rain I dial down the pace appropriately but would do that for any tire as it's just common sense.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #16997
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
I was completely torn on which tires to put on my Tenere a year ago, and now I've put 10k miles on my K60's, and I'm STILL torn about what tire to put on it.

I don't love the K60's, but they are a great compromise tire. At $340 a set though, I'm having a real hard time buying them again.

Dry pavement, they stick just fine. I ran them hard down in the smokey mountains without issue, and I regularly drag pegs here around town. They're not the most confident inspiring, but they work none the less.

They have a little wobble around 4 mph, and a vibration around 25 mph; neither major enough to cause issue/discomfort.

In the wet they blow. Wet tar strips are slicker than ice, and wet pavement I can easily spin up my back tire through all 6 gears (including, cruising at 70 mph, 6th gear, crack the throttle, and the back tire effortlessly breaks loose). Can be a fricken blast... can be terrifying. Damp pavement isn't nearly as bad, but wet (as in, riding in the rain) is about terrible.

Off road they do very well.

Mileage they do very well.

I've got a cheap rear tire on order to hold me over till the front is worn out too, but then I honestly don't know what I'm going to get. I'm seriously contemplating trying the Mitas E-07 Dakars. I've heard great things, and even if they don't last quite as long (should be very close), if the traction and confidence is better through their life, it'd be worth it. Shipping is expensive from Canada, but they still cost a bit less than K60's in the end.
The K60's are too expensive for a tire I don't love.
The New Metzler Karoo 3's look sweet... but all signs point to crappy mileage and high prices.
Shinko 705's are a killer value, but I don't want to deal with tire changes every 3 months, and I'd like a little more off-roady-ness.
The Full Bore M-40/M-41 have me very intrigued! The thread about them seems to pass them off as Shinko copies, but different rubber in the same mold can still make them act like completely different tires. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they act like the Shinko's (good compromise on and off-road) yet pulled a bit more mileage (ok, like double, 8k miles would be sweet). Still not very off-roady.

Damn compromises.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #16998
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Shinko 705's are a killer value, but I don't want to deal with tire changes every 3 months, and I'd like a little more off-roady-ness.
The Full Bore M-40/M-41 have me very intrigued! The thread about them seems to pass them off as Shinko copies, but different rubber in the same mold can still make them act like completely different tires. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they act like the Shinko's (good compromise on and off-road) yet pulled a bit more mileage (ok, like double, 8k miles would be sweet). Still not very off-roady.

Damn compromises.
I am currently running a front 705 that has 8.5K on it and shows little wear so far. Has worked fine for the typical Texas dirt roads I ride, and I have no complaints on blacktop. I just replaced the Battlewing rear with an M40. I am interested to see how long M40 lasts. It was cheap enough if it doesn't last long and I am normally pretty easy on tires.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #16999
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercat View Post
Okay, I have searched, mulled over, meditated and had major brainstorm meetings in my mind about the tires I'm going to put on my Tenere.

I was really leaning towards the K60's...until I really had a great weekend of some of Oklahoma's finest curvy roads on the Battlewings...and realized how much I love running fast with it. But I also want to ride gravel, dirt, some mud and some sand...I'm still about 80/20 though.

Now the Anakee 3's are out...

I have read every thread on the web concerning the K60's and the Anakee 2's and 3's (not much on the 3's really out there obviously). It seems the K60's have a great following (I honestly don't care about how many miles the tires will get), I want to have a decent off road tire that won't let go on the pavement when wiping out the edges of the tires; there is a bit of contradiction concerning wet road handling with the K60's, too.

Now I'm asking for guidance here...crazy I know
TCK80s are amazingly grippy as you are not concerned about cost/mileage. 3000 miles is the norm for a rear.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #17000
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
TCK80s are amazingly grippy as you are not concerned about cost/mileage. 3000 miles is the norm for a rear.
The fronts match up really well with an Anakee 2 rear. Been running that combo for about 4000 miles so far and probably have another 1000-2000 left.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #17001
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 981
All signs point to crappy mileage for the Karoo 3?

Didn't think they were available yet.

High prices is probably accurate though.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #17002
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 314
K60

For me the K60s are too compromised, on the Tar they weave like a shopping trolley at decent pace and off road the front washes easily at low speed on the local trails (soft soil/mud/clay except if baked in a rare summer). These limitations for me mean I could probably do just as well if a little bit slower off road on a "normal" adv tyre ie EXP or Anakee 3 perhaps , and retain good tarmac grip as well. As stated the K60s are a TC light bonanza even at moderate throttle though the front K60 held up well in an Emergency stop situation I had with a Range Rover that swapped lanes as I overtook recently, that was full front brake and fork drive though it did wander a bit as my butt cheeks puckered. Wear rates seem variable, I got 3.5Kmile out of a Tourance EXP rear and the K60 looks like its got about 1k left (2mm of usable tread left at 3.5kmiles), probably down to all the TC action it sees.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #17003
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
For me the K60s are too compromised, on the Tar they weave like a shopping trolley at decent pace
Interesting, I've pushed my K60s hard on twisty mountain roads and they've been stellar so far.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #17004
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

This is about the limit for the TKCs. I typically got about 6-6.5K miles out of rear, though the knobs were pretty short in the middle...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #17005
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Interesting, I've pushed my K60s hard on twisty mountain roads and they've been stellar so far.
Its more in a straight line on the gas that the front gets very unstable, reduced the effect a bit by running at max allowed pressure but not eliminated. Prior to that it was stable as a very stable thing even on squared off Tourance EXPs. The Acid test will be how it behaves on the next set of fresh tyres likely to the Anakee 3s.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #17006
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,499
Quote:
Its more in a straight line on the gas that the front gets very unstable, reduced the effect a bit by running at max allowed pressure but not eliminated. Prior to that it was stable as a very stable thing even on squared off Tourance EXPs. The Acid test will be how it behaves on the next set of fresh tyres likely to the Anakee 3s.
That is my experience too. Used to it now. The first time was an eye opener.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #17007
twinrider
pass the catnip

Dunno, straights or twisties they've been fine so far.

Here's a good endorsement in this epic thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I am using the Heidenau K60's
I like them and hoping to buy some here in Bogota
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #17008
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
These limitations for me mean I could probably do just as well if a little bit slower off road on a "normal" adv tyre ie EXP or Anakee 3 perhaps , and retain good tarmac grip as well.
Wear rates seem variable, I got 3.5Kmile out of a Tourance EXP rear and the K60 looks like its got about 1k left (2mm of usable tread left at 3.5kmiles), probably down to all the TC action it sees.
Holy shit, Batman, I've got 15,000 miles on the rear K60 and it still has plenty of tread left, even if it is squared to look like an old Army truck tire.

Hard to believe, but there is 4mm of tread remaining at the edge of that center rib!

I got the K60s after a gravel road ride with Dirt Dad and DCStrom and my worn OEM BW tires were just miserably all over the place. I was also looking at a ride from DC to Alaska and wanted tires that could last.

As with Mikef, I've liked the K60s but have always been reminded of their compromises. The big one is the fat center rib that is essentially a slick surface on a wet road, now that it's worn. There just are zero rain grooves to it. Leaned way over, the K60s do OK, but are clearly more of a knobby, especially in the sandy corners of West Virginny. I'm realizing that even though the K60s do last forever, for me I'm not totally comfortable with the trade of fresh rubber for less cost. ($/mile versus feel)

So while the squared-off rear K60 technically has some life left and I'm going to try cutting some rain grooves in that center rib, a set of Anakee 3s is waiting on the garage floor. Maybe I'll be back to the K60s later, maybe not.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #17009
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,499
15K??? That's just amazing. I would never look at another brand if I could get that.

I've posted this before but I was so pleased to get 6,500 miles out of a rear. That was
my best ever rear tire mileage. I did replace it with another K60.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #17010
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
It's all those wheelie's and uncontrollable desire to impress the hotties...

Mine at 8.5k miles...

NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote