User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #17041
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 270
K60

For me the K60s are too compromised, on the Tar they weave like a shopping trolley at decent pace and off road the front washes easily at low speed on the local trails (soft soil/mud/clay except if baked in a rare summer). These limitations for me mean I could probably do just as well if a little bit slower off road on a "normal" adv tyre ie EXP or Anakee 3 perhaps , and retain good tarmac grip as well. As stated the K60s are a TC light bonanza even at moderate throttle though the front K60 held up well in an Emergency stop situation I had with a Range Rover that swapped lanes as I overtook recently, that was full front brake and fork drive though it did wander a bit as my butt cheeks puckered. Wear rates seem variable, I got 3.5Kmile out of a Tourance EXP rear and the K60 looks like its got about 1k left (2mm of usable tread left at 3.5kmiles), probably down to all the TC action it sees.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #17042
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
For me the K60s are too compromised, on the Tar they weave like a shopping trolley at decent pace
Interesting, I've pushed my K60s hard on twisty mountain roads and they've been stellar so far.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #17043
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
TCK80s are amazingly grippy as you are not concerned about cost/mileage. 3000 miles is the norm for a rear.

This is about the limit for the TKCs. I typically got about 6-6.5K miles out of rear, though the knobs were pretty short in the middle...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #17044
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Interesting, I've pushed my K60s hard on twisty mountain roads and they've been stellar so far.
Its more in a straight line on the gas that the front gets very unstable, reduced the effect a bit by running at max allowed pressure but not eliminated. Prior to that it was stable as a very stable thing even on squared off Tourance EXPs. The Acid test will be how it behaves on the next set of fresh tyres likely to the Anakee 3s.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #17045
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,887
Quote:
Its more in a straight line on the gas that the front gets very unstable, reduced the effect a bit by running at max allowed pressure but not eliminated. Prior to that it was stable as a very stable thing even on squared off Tourance EXPs. The Acid test will be how it behaves on the next set of fresh tyres likely to the Anakee 3s.
That is my experience too. Used to it now. The first time was an eye opener.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #17046
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,913
Dunno, straights or twisties they've been fine so far.

Here's a good endorsement in this epic thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I am using the Heidenau K60's
I like them and hoping to buy some here in Bogota
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #17047
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
These limitations for me mean I could probably do just as well if a little bit slower off road on a "normal" adv tyre ie EXP or Anakee 3 perhaps , and retain good tarmac grip as well.
Wear rates seem variable, I got 3.5Kmile out of a Tourance EXP rear and the K60 looks like its got about 1k left (2mm of usable tread left at 3.5kmiles), probably down to all the TC action it sees.
Holy shit, Batman, I've got 15,000 miles on the rear K60 and it still has plenty of tread left, even if it is squared to look like an old Army truck tire.

Hard to believe, but there is 4mm of tread remaining at the edge of that center rib!

I got the K60s after a gravel road ride with Dirt Dad and DCStrom and my worn OEM BW tires were just miserably all over the place. I was also looking at a ride from DC to Alaska and wanted tires that could last.

As with Mikef, I've liked the K60s but have always been reminded of their compromises. The big one is the fat center rib that is essentially a slick surface on a wet road, now that it's worn. There just are zero rain grooves to it. Leaned way over, the K60s do OK, but are clearly more of a knobby, especially in the sandy corners of West Virginny. I'm realizing that even though the K60s do last forever, for me I'm not totally comfortable with the trade of fresh rubber for less cost. ($/mile versus feel)

So while the squared-off rear K60 technically has some life left and I'm going to try cutting some rain grooves in that center rib, a set of Anakee 3s is waiting on the garage floor. Maybe I'll be back to the K60s later, maybe not.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #17048
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

15K??? That's just amazing. I would never look at another brand if I could get that.

I've posted this before but I was so pleased to get 6,500 miles out of a rear. That was
my best ever rear tire mileage. I did replace it with another K60.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #17049
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
It's all those wheelie's and uncontrollable desire to impress the hotties...

Mine at 8.5k miles...

NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #17050
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
15K??? That's just amazing. I would never look at another brand if I could get that.

I've posted this before but I was so pleased to get 6,500 miles out of a rear. That was
my best ever rear tire mileage. I did replace it with another K60.

15k miles... wow... I have to think, not a ham fisted throttle... rarely loaded up heavy... riding on roads with less coarse grit... impressive!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #17051
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

[QUOTE=Wreckchecker;21170191]Holy shit, Batman, I've got 15,000 miles on the rear K60 and it still has plenty of tread left, even if it is squared to look like an old Army truck tire.

QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Mine at 8.5k miles...
That's it. I want my money back.

Really, that is some very impressive mileage to get out of a rear tire.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #17052
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
Pluric,
Go buy and test those Full Bore tires and report back... but it does seem too good be true...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #17053
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,279
[QUOTE=pluric;21170660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Holy shit, Batman, I've got 15,000 miles on the rear K60 and it still has plenty of tread left, even if it is squared to look like an old Army truck tire.

QUOTE]

That's it. I want my money back.

Really, that is some very impressive mileage to get out of a rear tire.
Chris (Sail2XX) got 24,000 in mostly commuting and is also here in Maryland. Seeing that I just finished the annual chore, maybe it's just the texture of the dollar bills that our roads seem to be lined with every tax season.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #17054
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Pluric,
Go buy and test those Full Bore tires and report back... but it does seem too good be true...
I know. Send me a set and I will call you a sponser.

I'm actually the last guy who should test stuff. I seldom can tell a difference in tires or suspension.

There's guys out there that can't sleep with a pea under their mattress. They can notice
a one pound drop in tire pressure and report the difference. I'm more in the
"Hey, I didn't crash so it must handle okay" I seldom notice subtle differences in anything.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #17055
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I seldom notice subtle differences in anything.
Except innuendo.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote