• Devilishly handsome
  • Awesome rider
  • Caustic and abrasive
  • Highly delusional....
Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #17207
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,401
I just had to bin the O2 optimisers on my bike. I have the ECUleashed flash and a Power commander fitted.

I got 160 miles out of a tank riding at about a steady 50mph, fully loaded. So I decided to take the optimisers out of the equasion. The bike now runs a lot smoother with no (almost) hanlebar vibes and easy slow speed riding.

We wait to see if the consumption improves. The downside is the throttle response is a bit down but the lack of vibes more than makes up for it.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #17208
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 886
Eh? Where are you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I just had to bin the O2 optimisers on my bike. I have the ECUleashed flash and a Power commander fitted.

I got 160 miles out of a tank riding at about a steady 50mph, fully loaded. So I decided to take the optimisers out of the equasion. The bike now runs a lot smoother with no (almost) hanlebar vibes and easy slow speed riding.

We wait to see if the consumption improves. The downside is the throttle response is a bit down but the lack of vibes more than makes up for it.
Where are you at

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #17209
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post
Where are you at
Looking at his bike he could be in two States at the same time.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #17210
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,948
Soooo, I've had the Tenere for a couple of weeks now, and put about 1500 miles on it, and...

1st. I'd like to thank Jim (aka Japaco) for farkleing the bike so well, that I can scarcely think of anything to do to it.

2nd. I was planning on keeping the WeeStrom until I was sure the Tenere would satisfy me enough that I wouldn't want to keep the Wee. I haven't even started it since getting the S10 , I haven't ridden it, have no desire to, and will clean it and put it up for sale this weekend.

3rd. WOW what a fantastic bike! Power is fantastic. Japako had done the reflash, installed the clutch override switch, arrow headers, and a Leo Vince can, and other than a surge occasionaly, it runs like a striped ass ape! I do have a little concern about the spokes on the front wheel, although I haven't had time to check them all. I get a little wobble once in a while when cornering aggressively. Is that spokes? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

4th. Good lord, did they underspring the rear of this thing, or what! I weigh 200, and when my wife and I went to the Hill country, even full preload was nowhere near enough. This will have to go to the top of the "to do" list

5th. It sure doesn't feel like it weighs 500 lbs! It's got Micatech bags, and I added a Trax top box, Givi engine guards, and cool custom highway pegs. Madstad bracket with cross bar for GPS mount! Fully loaded and two up, I never once felt anything but total contril, even in the slow, parking lot, u-turn type stuff, and even the dirt roads don't seem threatening.

In conclusion, if you don't have a Super Tenere yet, you don't know what you're missing................

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #17211
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
I get a little wobble once in a while when cornering aggressively. Is that spokes? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
Doubt it is the spokes. The wheels are plenty rigid for hard cornering, especially on the double-flanged front. (I think most of the spoke breakage issues have been at the single-flanged rear.)

If you're undersprung and haven't adjusted the clickers, you're probably woefully under-damped as well. If you're loading up things like your top box, that doesn't help either. This would be my first guess at why the bike has a wobble. I'd do a careful suspension setup and go from there.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #17212
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
New Tenere ? now the luggage / sidecases

Just got back from Panama on my VFR 2-up and purchased a Tenere on my return and looking for advice on cases knowing the question opens the door for opinion. 45L looks, I think to big as in to wide 35L a good compromise kind of looking at the
TraX 37-liter

Factory cases Look to small and delicate, a deeper case would lower the center of gravity. the 37 can be switched for 45 if needed. On my travel I noticed a fellow rider on a Tenere and asked the question in the last 2 month have you found anything you needed and dont have with you he replied" no dont think so " my answer " then I think you brought to much " TKS for any links or OP's D.C.
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #17213
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Is there any "over the speedo" gps mounts other than the Touratech & Madstad?

I saw the SW Motech mount but they dont list my gps and I havent heard back from my inquiry to them.

I like the location but I dont really care about the movable windscreen so the $150-ish price tag is steep.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #17214
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post

I saw the SW Motech mount but they dont list my gps and I havent heard back from my inquiry to them.

I like the location but I dont really care about the movable windscreen so the $150-ish price tag is steep.
A fellow rider on the Super Ten pic page built one out of flat steel or aluminum plates against the side of the windscreen uprights. Looked very nice and factory.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4505
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #17215
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
Just got back from Panama on my VFR 2-up and purchased a Tenere on my return and looking for advice on cases knowing the question opens the door for opinion. 45L looks, I think to big as in to wide 35L a good compromise kind of looking at the
TraX 37-liter

Factory cases Look to small and delicate, a deeper case would lower the center of gravity. the 37 can be switched for 45 if needed. On my travel I noticed a fellow rider on a Tenere and asked the question in the last 2 month have you found anything you needed and don't have with you he replied" no don't think so " my answer " then I think you brought to much " TKS for any links or OP's D.C.
I got these, I really like them and am planning on picking up a set of the soft bags as well for shorter , more local rides, where locking and size wont matter. Looks wasn't a concern for Me, though i don't think they are completely fugly!

http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...0Z-Tenere.aspx

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/18007625@N04/8663000975/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/18007625@N04/8663004485/]
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #17216
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
TraX 37-liter

Factory cases Look to small and delicate, a deeper case would lower the center of gravity. the 37 can be switched for 45 if needed. On my travel I noticed a fellow rider on a Tenere and asked the question in the last 2 month have you found anything you needed and dont have with you he replied" no dont think so " my answer " then I think you brought to much " TKS for any links or OP's D.C.
I have the Trax 37 and 45 combo and like that for longer trips when I tend to pack too much. I normally use the 37 on both sides for everyday rides. Also with their quick release racks, I can take the racks off in a minute if I won't be using any bags. 100% satisfied with this setup for over 20,000 miles.

Here is a friend's S10 with 37 L Trax on both sides.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #17217
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
TraX 37-liter
If you live in a place where lane-splitting is legal check into the Holans. They hold a lot but fit very tight to the bike with a narrow profile.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #17218
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
If you live in a place where lane-splitting is legal check into the Holans. They hold a lot but fit very tight to the bike with a narrow profile.
The Holans are very good looking, well made bags also. As far as lane splitting, the ends of the OEM bars are about 38 inches wide, so if they will fit, most bags will fit. Here is a front view of the 37/47 Trax combo from the front, as the angle of the rear shot that I posted makes them look wider than they are.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #17219
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

Off-the-road has a plain GPS mounting bar: http://www.off-the-road.de/en/XT-120...XT-1200-Z.html
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #17220
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:

I made mine for nothing and it's not hard if you can cut plastic and make 2 bends in it.

Flat piece of plastic, bent into a Z-shape. The forward downflange fits between the instrument pod and the mount. The pod is mounted with (I think) 3 sheetmetal-type screws so the downflange needs to have holes for the mounts and the electrical connector.