Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #18736
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Dallara, changed your oil that any times?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #18737
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Laugh Hey, Snake! You did it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Dallara,

Just for you. :)

By the way, I am pretty sure they bottomed out today. So I'm thinking I don't get to use that last part.

Outstanding, Snake!!!

Now you're cookin'... And now you're gettin' your money's worth out of those beautiful Ohlins-kitted forks! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Looks like you gettin' to do some damn fine ridin', too, you lucky SOB!!! I'm jealous!!!

Can't wait to see more pics.

Ride safe!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #18738
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Cool2 Let's see if I understand the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Dallara, changed your oil that any times?

If you are asking me if I have changed my oil that *MANY* times, then the answer is is a resounding "Yes!"

Why do you ask? How often do you change yours?

For me every 3,000 to 5,000 miles is about right once the bike's past its initial break-in period. If you're talking about changing the oil 5 times in the first 6,000 miles... Well, most of the various bits of leftover machining debris from manufacturing gets circulated in the first few hundred miles, and that's when it can do the most damage to the engine, so flushing it out with three oil and filter changes in the first 1,000 miles is pretty cheap insurance and pretty much no unwanted metal particles are washing around inside the engine acting as grinding compound after three changes...

I change twice again by 6,000 miles just to keep taking a good look at the drained oil and seeing what kind of metallic content I'm getting. Usually by 6,000 what's coming out is nice and clean with little or no metallic particles visible. Only way I know to check more carefully than that is with regular oil analysis, but I've found little use for that over the years on street engines.

I run mineral/dino oil the first 6,000 miles more out of habit than anything else. Years ago I both experienced and saw several instances of break-in issues using synthetics right out of the crate so I began always doing break-in with mineral/dino oil and then switching to synthetic once I was fairly sure the rings were adequately seated - which I feel comfortable with around 6,000 miles.

I guess I shouldn't worry as much these days given changes in manufacturing and metallurgy of current production pieces... After all, my CTS-V came right from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic and after 4 years it still runs spectacularly and doesn't use a drop of oil. Maybe I'll run my next bike on synthetic right from the start, but even if I do I'll change it several times in the first few thousand miles.

What do you do, RocketJohn?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 09:56 PM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #18739
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I just follow Yamaha's recommendations.

Thanks for your detailed explanations.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #18740
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Well the good news is after further review, it was NOT final drive fluid that escaped and splattered my tire and rim. Turns out the dealer in Colorado that mounted the Big Block the day before, slathered on some grease on the splines.

Melted. Slung.

The bad news is my body didn't recover sufficiently from my epic day yesterday. About 3 miles into a 4WD section, I was spent. Couldn't find that rhythm you have to have to dance on those kinds of tracks. Laid down to gather my wits. Looked up and saw this view:

Spent the rest of the day scenic touring. Nothing tougher than grade 1 or 2.
Had a blast.

There are Teneres all over Colorado! It's crazy to drive through all the various towns and see Teneres everywhere.

snakebitten screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 08:40 PM
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #18741
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
Quote:
Had a blast.
For my size and ability I've found the Tenere is most fun on grade 1 and 2. Anything harder and I'm just focusing on trying to keep the rubberside down.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #18742
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Tomatocity,

Thanks for the info.

I must have been outside looking at it when you posted.

Went back to the dealership an hour each way. Spoke to the service manager. He was decent, they are ordering the parts they screwed up. He was apologetic. My bitch was not that it was screwed up. But that no one bothered to tell me. I handed the tech a $20.00 tip and he never said a word. Found out today that it took two of them to get the bags on yesterday,

One pushing down with all his might, the other locking the handle. I'm sure somebody got an ass chewing after I left, but you know what, they deserve it. I asked the tech, if this was his his bike, how comfortable would he be to let the guy adjust the valves. He just nodded.
Yikes, what bone heads! My local Yammerhaha dealer has mostly youngsters working on the bikes, which makes me uneasy, but so far they've done OK. Had one hiccup when a bar end weight fell off after the heated grip installation, but that has been my only bitch so far.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #18743
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Well the good news is after further review, it was NOT final drive fluid that escaped and splattered my tire and rim. Turns out the dealer in Colorado that mounted the Big Block the day before, slathered on some grease on the splines.

Melted. Slung.

The bad news is my body didn't recover sufficiently from my epic day yesterday. About 3 miles into a 4WD section, I was spent. Couldn't find that rhythm you have to have to dance on those kinds of tracks. Laid down to gather my wits. Looked up and saw this view:

Had a blast.

There are Teneres all over Colorado! It's crazy to drive through all the various towns and see Teneres everywhere.

Snake, thanks for the pics man, and keep riding the trails. It looks like you are having a great time, and I wish I was there with my little one..

Glad the rear oil problem turned out to be excess grease and not a show stopper.
Have more fun... If that is possible..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #18744
Lucidor
Beasty Boy

Oddometer: 77
Researching my next bike

Hi,

I'm researching my next bike and the XT1200Z is on my (very) short list of bikes that I believe would fit my needs. I recently took a test drive at the dealer, and I loved everything about it, except for one thing - I experienced the ergonomics a bit strange. My knees were at a steep angle, and the foot pegs were further aft that I would have liked. The seat was in the low position, and I imagine that the comfort would be improved with the seat higher up, but does it really make that much of a difference? The test ride was about one hour, too short to form an opinion really. Maybe I was just imagining things.

So what I guess I'm asking is for your opinion about the ergonomics compared to other bikes, and if you think I should bug the dealer one more time and ask for a test with the seat adjusted. In the best of worlds I would like a full week evaluation, but that is unfortunately not possible. One hour ride is the maximum. I plan to keep the bike for many years, and want to make a good decision.

I'm currenly riding the granddad of your bikes, the XTZ750. I love it, but it's coming of age:

Lucidor screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 11:15 AM
Lucidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #18745
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Lucidor.

Not sure of your height, but those 2 seat positions are like night & day for me.
I can't last 30 minutes at the low position, but can run 600 mile days at the high position.

That 1 inch is a critical inch. Huge ergonomically.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #18746
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Snake, thanks for the pics man, and keep riding the trails. It looks like you are having a great time, and I wish I was there with my little one..

Glad the rear oil problem turned out to be excess grease and not a show stopper.
Have more fun... If that is possible..
I wish you WERE here bud. There's some folks here I wish could hear some of your stories. The demographics around here are hilarious. Us old salty coots are the MAJORITY. We rule!

Got the Harley's outnumbered everywhere. You won't see Teneres dominate the landscape often. It's a hoot.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #18747
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidor View Post
Hi,

I'm researching my next bike and the XT1200Z is on my (very) short list of bikes that I believe would fit my needs. I recently took a test drive at the dealer, and I loved everything about it, except for one thing - I experienced the ergonomics a bit strange. My knees were at a steep angle, and the foot pegs were further aft that I would have liked. The seat was in the low position, and I imagine that the comfort would be improved with the seat higher up, but does it really make that much of a difference? The test ride was about one hour, too short to form an opinion really. Maybe I was just imagining things.

So what I guess I'm asking is for your opinion about the ergonomics compared to other bikes, and if you think I should bug the dealer one more time and ask for a test with the seat adjusted. In the best of worlds I would like a full week evaluation, but that is unfortunately not possible. One hour ride is the maximum. I plan to keep the bike for many years, and want to make a good decision.

I'm currenly riding the granddad of your bikes, the XTZ750. I love it, but it's coming of age:

Take a look at this site and see if it will help. http://cycle-ergo.com
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #18748
Lucidor
Beasty Boy

Oddometer: 77
The calculations on that site is really interesting!

I can deduce that the Yamaha has actually a more relaxed knee angle than my other contender (which I can reviele is the Moto Guzzi Stelvio). During my short test ride I found the Guzzi perfect from an ergonomical standpoint. But if the numbers are accurate, I was either imagining things when riding the Yamaha, or the seat position makes all the differences in the world. And you just pointed out that the seat position is indeed critical. You have convinced me to have another go with the Yamaha properly set up for my body. My length is 181 cm (5.94 feet) by the way, but I have never measured my inseam. But according to my wife, I have long legs.

I have in addition a more sentimental reason to give the Yamaha a second chance. My current ride is the XTZ750 from 1995, the last year of production of the model (1996 and 1997 models were all manufactured in 1995). It is an 18 years old bike and dear friend that has never ever let me down. I am not the best maintainer in the world, but despite that the bike has always taken me home without a glitch. When travelling far from home, reliability is high on my list of priorities.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #18749
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
What other reasons do you really need? Go for it!
Are you keeping the old one?

©
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #18750
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidor View Post
The calculations on that site is really interesting!

I can deduce that the Yamaha has actually a more relaxed knee angle than my other contender (which I can reviele is the Moto Guzzi Stelvio)......
You must be very sure before to buy the Stelvio... this is going to be a bike for the rest of you're life...

( nobody is going to buy it to you once is used... )

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote