ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #18871
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludocrator View Post
Not sure if this question belongs to this thread.

After waiting for months, I was finally able to try the S10 at my local dealer (sort of "demo special weekend").

Currently owning a Vstrom, I was expecting a grown-up better version of my bike. But what I found was a vibey machine that really disappointed me.

Ok, the hp was there, nice riding position, and all that. But somehow I was suddenly thinking of my Vstrom as a "smooth ride" in comparison.

I am beginning to lean towards the FJR now (and wait to see what else they make out of the new triple engine (FJR 800?)).
It shows how people's perceptions of the same thing can be quite different. A couple of years back, when I still had my VStrom, I also tested a Super Ten, and I thought it felt almost identical to the VStrom ,just with more of everything ( power, space, weight, etc..). I felt very at home on it right away, and even got a chance to get a little bit "off road" with it, and it still seemed that way. I think your mind-set, and any pre-conceptions about a bike before you ride it play a large factor. If you expect certain behaviours ( good or bad ), or traits, you will be looking for them.
It's not easy, but I find it's better to try to forget what you think you know about a bike when you test ride it.

But I agree with you on the new MT-09 motor. Someone has already done a bit of a mock-up of it like a TDM, but I think taking it another step further down the ADV road would be even better. It looks like a motor that is about to spawn a family of bikes.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #18872
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Tested the KTM Adventure R .... WHOW!!

Based on your lengthy description of your riding impression I'm guessing the thumbs up
in the photo says it all???

Could you maybe give a little longer ride report? Say somewhere between a Dallara and GrahamD?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #18873
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Could you maybe give a little longer ride report? Say somewhere between a Dallara and GrahamD?
Hey, I heard that!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #18874
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Based on your lengthy description of your riding impression I'm guessing the thumbs up

Maybe he's too busy stripping off all the Tenere farkles to get the cash to but the KTM!

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #18875
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,077
Laugh Salt Lake, we have a problem...

Quote:

I wouldn't get too excited...

Is KTM even going to bring the "Adventure R" model to the USA? It's there on the Euro web sites, but it doesn't show at all on the USA one.

And there's still all that wonderful KTM maintenance!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #18876
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Tested the KTM Adventure R .... WHOW!!

I don't do photoshop, but Jaumev's picture above is begging for a little "Ayyy!"
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #18877
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Hey, I heard that!
Opps, I thought I was on your ignore list. My bad.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #18878
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
That Jaime's thumb up fooled me, so I was lurking a little bit into KTM forums.... Looks like the heating is the least of their issues.

©
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #18879
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
So........ Adventure R or 660 Ténéré?
660 Ténéré off course!! I'm not getting mad

I hope to have it in few weeks

I'm making the farkles list ... sooooo long...

See you in august?

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #18880
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

No point to compete with the two writing masters with my poor English!!! I will do my best:

The KTM 1190 R is an incredible bike. This bike I tried is from a very good friend who does hard off road. We ride together often so we’ll know how it works at a long term.
I didn’t have proper boots, the bike was new and with road tires so I did a quite good road test but very soft off road.
On road the bike is incredible, full of power, excellent brakes, the clutch is amazingly soft, so the throttle, nice position, good suspension… everything is fine except the heat from the engine. Its terrible, the seat burns!! Awful. And the windscreen is too short.
The engine is really sporty, in hard acceleration you can do wheelies even in forth gear!! Ideal for you Pluric
In dirt, the 21” and 18” combo is perfect, excellent suspensions and the ABS is great. It has an off road position that works only in the front wheel, perfect. I can’t say much about the traction control as I didn’t push very hard but it seems to work fine.
This R version it seems to be the best big adventure bike for people who like off road.
Comparing with my ST: the KTM is more complicated and tired to drive. The Yam has more torque and smooth acceleration… is more friendly and comfortable for a long trip. The KTM is more exciting but after a while I prefer the comfy Yam (I’m getting old??). and the heat in the KTM is terrible, they must solve this.
So, If I had to buy a big adventure bike now I could have a serious problem. For the kind of riding I do (mostly off road) probably the KTM could be the funniest option but the difference in price within the KTM and the Super 10 allows me to farkle the Yam as I have it now and I’m still concerned about KTM reliability… more in a new bike like this with a huge amount of electronics.
But more important, I’m not interested in the marketing argument of power. I don’t need 150HP in dirt and I don’t have the skills riding on road to use them… so then… why to pay for it?.

Nearly like Dallara?

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #18881
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye56 View Post
Maybe he's too busy stripping off all the Tenere farkles to get the cash to but the KTM!
Well... quite close... but not for a KTM.

This week I ordered a Ténéré 660... and I'm thinking seriously to sell the Super 10.
The 660 is more logical for the off road ridings I do, I'm finished farkling the 1200
and I'm getting bored, so it's time to change!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #18882
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post

I don't do photoshop, but Jaumev's picture above is begging for a little "Ayyy!"
I know is difficult to believe I'm so handsome… but here I am

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #18883
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

[QUOTE=jaumev;21843698
Nearly like Dallara? [/QUOTE]

Close, but you didn't piss anyone off so I have to deduct points for that.

Nice review. I haven't really checked into them but the heat thing does seem
to be a common comment. No surprise on the rest of it. Sounds impressive.

I know what you mean on the "Getting bored with it" statement. I was that way with
the Strom and FJR. The Tenere brought new life back into riding and now I feel the
glow fading. These First World problems are a bitch.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #18884
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I know is difficult to believe I'm so handsome… but here I am
If I had a Raven Tenere I'd look twice.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #18885
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:

The engine is really sporty, in hard acceleration you can do wheelies even in forth gear!!
Quote:
I can’t say much about the traction control as I didn’t push very hard but it seems to work fine.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote