ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #21736
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaGuru View Post
What rear shock options are available for the ST? I have used a lot of Elka products over the years and have been very pleased with their support, product and tune ability. I contacted a guy there and he said they did not have a high enough demand to research development of them but he would be willing to offer a group buy at a discount if enough people participated. Below is a copy of his correspondence.

Any interest in this? I have had excellent performance with Elka products in the past and would like to see them have an offering...
I just got back from trying the Stoltec fork set up and Penske rear shock combination. Better than
my first try after trying Dallara's advice. I'd left the rear a tinge longer than stock. Now I feel like
I'm riding a stink bug. If I raise my forks I'm too tippy toe, so still a work in progress.

As far as your question Ohlin and Penske seem to be that names that come up the most.

Side note, I pulled out of my driveway and it turned like a tractor. I looked down and the front
tire was way low. Lost 25 lbs of pressure in two days. Hmmmmm, could be another Woody's
visit in my near future. I'll put it in the tire tank later.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #21737
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,578
Shock

I'm really happy with the Ohlins after lengthening, respringing and revalving to suit me. Also rearranged the reservoir and preload adjuster position.

Only issue now is that on these really hot days we've been having it fades a bit. I think its a reason to get rid of the cat, too much heat down there.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #21738
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
The carbon side covers came in today. the quality is excellent. The only problem I had with mine is some scratching that occurred during shipping. they did a less than great job of packing them. But if you look at the last picture, the scratches buffed right out using novus.

it is raining outside so all the pictures are inside the shop and its a little crowded. Once it clears up I will post better pictures.... these were done with a cell phone...

The side panels are a perfect fit and have the exact shape of the stock side panels. The backside of the panels doesn't have all the screw holes or mounting points of the stock side panel so you will have to get creative to attach some of inner plastic. I used some 3M double sided tape for part of it.

In this picture you can see the scratches on the side panel... they are no the right hand side. It came like that out of the box. It was poorly packed and not protected.

The scratches did buff out pretty easily. I just used a cloth and the Number 2 compound (the white bottle on the right side of the picture). Just hand buffed it and wiped it off.

Overall, great looking carbon and very nicely made. I would definitely recommend them. If you buy them from the guy on ebay, you may want to ask him to use extra packing material to protect them from scratches. the box I got was pretty beat up too. Maybe the Ukrainian postal service is even worse than the one we have.

Specterx screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 03:44 PM
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #21739
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,987
Laugh Futzin' & Fiddlin', and carrying an oxygen supply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I just got back from trying the Stoltec fork set up and Penske rear shock combination. Better than
my first try after trying Dallara's advice. I'd left the rear a tinge longer than stock. Now I feel like
I'm riding a stink bug. If I raise my forks I'm too tippy toe, so still a work in progress.

As far as your question Ohlin and Penske seem to be that names that come up the most.

Side note, I pulled out of my driveway and it turned like a tractor. I looked down and the front
tire was way low. Lost 25 lbs of pressure in two days. Hmmmmm, could be another Woody's
visit in my near future. I'll put it in the tire tank later.

Funny how bad they handle with low pressure in the front tire, eh?

Didn't you *just* get that wheel back from Woody's???

As for your ride height, etc....

For the record, I'm only 5' 8" with a 29" inseam, so I imagine I'm more tippy-toe most of the time than most with S-10's. But I raced MX all the way from the early '70's on through the early 90's, so I lived with the bikes growing nosebleed seat altitudes. Hence, tippy-toe and only one foot down doesn't bother me much...

That said, being *way* up there can make anybody nervous in certain situations, so I'm careful to get my S-10 as reasonable as I can and still get it to handle the way I like - i.e. steer quick. Just like you, Pluric, I have Stoltec's Penske rear shock and fork re-valving, with both ends sprung for my weight. You already know my thoughts on preload and sag, but I'm sorry I didn't mention ride height.

As mentioned, I like my bike to steer as quick as its components will allow and still keep a livable seat height. To get this I have the rear Penske right in the middle of it's ride height adjustment... Maybe a tad longer (I can't remember my setting numbers exactly, and my notebook's not handy), but up front I actually have the forks slid *UP* in the clamps (i.e. - I've lowered the front ride height). Due to the taper of the lower part of the upper fork leg where it is clamped by the lower triple clamp you are limited to sliding those fork legs up no more than about 0.60" (just over 15mm). I don't have mine slid up quite that far - they're slid 0.50" (12.7mm) above the top clamp - mainly because I don't want to have it down to the limit.

With these settings it doesn't have too much of the "stink bug" stance, and it steers quick and precise while still being locomotive stable, even in high winds, washboard sections, etc.

You might try something like those settings for ride height and see if it helps.

As for rear shock choices... There are actually quite a few out there if you're willing to buy some pretty obscure companies with limited support and parts supply here in the USA. That's one of the great things about both Ohlins and Penske - lots of support - parts, technical, and repair - throughout the USA. I doubt that any other shock brands will offer any apparent performance advantage over either of them, and their prices are competitive, too.

I like that damn near every part of the Penske's are built right here in the USA. That helps parts supply and availability a ton. The fit, finish, and quality of materials of the Penske is second to none, and they are certainly as reliable and tough as any other brand, and IMHO way better on all those counts than most.

To each his own, but both Ohlins and Penske have been building shocks for the Super Tenere now for a couple of years, giving them a good experience edge as to what works. Why look anywhere else?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 09:01 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #21740
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,987
Wink Is it real, or is it Memorex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specterx View Post
The carbon side covers came in today. the quality is excellent. The only problem I had with mine is some scratching that occurred during shipping. they did a less than great job of packing them. But if you look at the last picture, the scratches buffed right out using novus.

it is raining outside so all the pictures are inside the shop and its a little crowded. Once it clears up I will post better pictures.... these were done with a cell phone...

The side panels are a perfect fit and have the exact shape of the stock side panels. The backside of the panels doesn't have all the screw holes or mounting points of the stock side panel so you will have to get creative to attach some of inner plastic. I used some 3M double sided tape for part of it.

The scratches did buff out pretty easily. I just used a cloth and the Number 2 compound (the white bottle on the right side of the picture). Just hand buffed it and wiped it off.

Overall, great looking carbon and very nicely made. I would definitely recommend them. If you buy them from the guy on ebay, you may want to ask him to use extra packing material to protect them from scratches. the box I got was pretty beat up too. Maybe the Ukrainian postal service is even worse than the one we have.

How much do they weigh?

Certainly I can't be positive just looking at the pictures, but given the one picture you included showing the back side it shows looks like they are primarily fiberglass with just a top cosmetic layer of carbon fiber...

How well are the edges finished?

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #21741
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,398
Quote:
I've lost about 20 lbs in the past couple of months, and for some reason I can now touch the balls of my feet down on both sides instead of being on my tiptoes. You might want to give that shot.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #21742
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Funny how bad they handle with low pressure in the front tire, eh?

Didn't you *just* get that wheel back from Woody's???

Dallara
~
Oh man I'm so glad I didn't go on a Woody's rant before checking it out.

I just thought for sure with a new conventionally spoked wheel it was a rim leak. Nope.

Pretty odd. The tire was leaking at the bead. No nick in the rim. Small mold line on the
tire. You can just see the bubbles coming up by the water line.

I know this may sound a little unconventional but looking at it I thought I'd try a dab
of permatex gasket sealer on it. It's gooey and I didn't have any bubble gum.

So far so good. You can just see the brown sealer smudge mark and no more bubbles.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #21743
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've lost about 20 lbs in the past couple of months, and for some reason I can now touch the balls of my feet down on both sides instead of being on my tiptoes. You might want to give that shot.
God knows I've been trying. Roller coaster. Right now the coaster is at the top.
Is there a rumor of a 1400cc Tenere? It's always worked for me in the past to
just buy a bigger bike.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #21744
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
Just go to a Yamahamama dealer and ask at parts for the new harness? Free?

Thanks
YES....

After a call to Yamaha customer support(the phone number is in your owners manual) and politely expressing my concern about my safety should the harness fail either day or night, they agreed to have my dealer perform an inspection. We talked a bit about future safety should the inspection find the harness to be OK at this time, and we talked about liability.

The harness was found to have "excessive resistance" and was replaced at no cost to me... Problem averted, thanks Yamaha for the outstand customer support.

Somehow I just don't see BMW ever providing this level of support!

Twinrider, are you aware of anyone that was treated differently by Yamaha customer support?

Paul

Paul
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #21745
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Somehow I just don't see BMW ever providing this level of support!

Paul
Fortunately they have never had to deal with a customer concern.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #21746
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
God knows I've been trying. Roller coaster. Right now the coaster is at the top.
Is there a rumor of a 1400cc Tenere? It's always worked for me in the past to
just buy a bigger bike.
I got fat by getting into the habit of having a few drinks after work, then pigging out before bed. Since you don't drink, just focus on stopping the latter.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #21747
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Twinrider, are you aware of anyone that was treated differently by Yamaha customer support?
I'm in Japan so my experience is not necessarily typical. They did replace the old harness (as well as the headlight ... score! ) once under warranty when one connector burned out but that was before the new harness was issued so I got the same weak harness again. That's the one I asked them to replace, while it was still working fine.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #21748
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
How much do they weigh?

Certainly I can't be positive just looking at the pictures, but given the one picture you included showing the back side it shows looks like they are primarily fiberglass with just a top cosmetic layer of carbon fiber...

How well are the edges finished?

Thanks!

Dallara

~
haven't weighed them but would guess them to be between 1/2 and 1/4 of the weigh of the originals. I will post better pictures of the edges soon.
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #21749
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaGuru View Post
What rear shock options are available for the ST? I have used a lot of Elka products over the years and have been very pleased with their support, product and tune ability. I contacted a guy there and he said they did not have a high enough demand to research development of them but he would be willing to offer a group buy at a discount if enough people participated. Below is a copy of his correspondence.

Any interest in this? I have had excellent performance with Elka products in the past and would like to see them have an offering...

2 main contenders:

Ohlins and Penske

The Ohlins has hydraulic preload, the Penske a mechanical collar. This is a big deal to some, nothing to others. The Penske is a bit cheaper than the Ohlins.

For the same price as an Ohlins with just low speed compression and rebound adjustment, you can get a Penske with low AND high speed compression adjustment as well as rebound. If you want the utmost in performance this is a BIG upgrade.

As Dallara pointed out, the Penske is 100% US made in Penn. Each is custom-built to order. If you want one, call Nick at Stoltec and let him know I sent you. He has been known to cut a deal at the mention of my name. I'm sure once you talk to him you'll forget all about that Elka.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #21750
SpaGuru
Banned

Oddometer: 73
I will look into these a bit more. There is something to be said about having some experience with the bike for a few years already. The Elkas are fully adjustable with both high and low speed compression and rebound damping and hydraulic preload. They also use a triple rate spring setup.

I'll keep Stoltec in mind when I am ready to order!

Thanks to all for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
2 main contenders:

Ohlins and Penske

The Ohlins has hydraulic preload, the Penske a mechanical collar. This is a big deal to some, nothing to others. The Penske is a bit cheaper than the Ohlins.

For the same price as an Ohlins with just low speed compression and rebound adjustment, you can get a Penske with low AND high speed compression adjustment as well as rebound. If you want the utmost in performance this is a BIG upgrade.

As Dallara pointed out, the Penske is 100% US made in Penn. Each is custom-built to order. If you want one, call Nick at Stoltec and let him know I sent you. He has been known to cut a deal at the mention of my name. I'm sure once you talk to him you'll forget all about that Elka.

ac
SpaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote