ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #23866
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfin View Post
Anyone have info on the 2015....are there going to be any changes or new color options?
Probably InterMot, Cologne, Germany the first weekend of October.
Might be an XTZ700 for the faithful. We can hope.

My needs are two-up distance so the 1200 is it.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #23867
Amoller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Video from South America, looks that changes are only cosmetics

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=vr7jCC2lDY0
Amoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #23868
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Speak for yourself tulip
I bow before your studly adventureness.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #23869
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoller View Post
Video from South America, looks that changes are only cosmetics

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=vr7jCC2lDY0
Which video are you talking about? Several show up on that link and I don't see any about the 2015 Super Tenere.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #23870
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I bow before your studly adventureness.
I can explain what the stuff is all over the plastic and wires if you want..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #23871
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I can explain what the stuff is all over the plastic and wires if you want..

Phifft....

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #23872
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Phifft....

Awwww, shit! Don't start bringing pics of the mighty KLR in here now. Mine seemed to enjoy eating dirt. And shitting rocks.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #23873
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Awwww, shit! Don't start bringing pics of the mighty KLR in here now. Mine seemed to enjoy eating dirt. And shitting rocks.
The Tenere then takes those rocks and pounds them into silt!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #23874
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
2015 Super Teneres being manufactured in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil?

I keep reading about Yamaha Teneres being manufactured in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil. For example: http://www.automotivebusiness.com.br...-na-linha-2015

I am assuming this is for the local market and is probably more assembly of parts made in Japan rather than actual fabrication. I am surprised that the local market could be so large...perhaps its the only way to get around excessive import duties. Those of us in the USA don't realize how lucky we are as a standard Super Tenere lists for $25,148 USD!

Anyhow...this might be a good thing for those of us that venture south as I hope parts will be locally available for the Super Tenere if needed (like spokes, etc). Anybody know the scoop on this....and are the US market 2015 Super Teneres still coming from Japan?
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #23875
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
I keep reading about Yamaha Teneres being manufactured in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil. For example: http://www.automotivebusiness.com.br...-na-linha-2015

I am assuming this is for the local market and is probably more assembly of parts made in Japan rather than actual fabrication. I am surprised that the local market could be so large...perhaps its the only way to get around excessive import duties. Those of us in the USA don't realize how lucky we are as a standard Super Tenere lists for $25,148 USD!

Anyhow...this might be a good thing for those of us that venture south as I hope parts will be locally available for the Super Tenere if needed (like spokes, etc). Anybody know the scoop on this....and are the US market 2015 Super Teneres still coming from Japan?
All the Japanese makes have been building in Brazil since the 1980s or there a bouts. Hondas are everywhere. There are a number of countries in which the vehicle tax is the sales price if imported, but they don't have enough sales to justify a factory. Brazil is a huge country so setting up an assembly line makes sense.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #23876
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:

We do have the XT 250 Z made in Brazil, sold in Colombia. I have a XT1200Z 2014 made in Japan, and my previous bike, an XT660Z tenere was made in Spain.

However, parts wise, yamaha has a warehouse in Miami from where it ships and packs parts to Latam.

For example, trying to o hack the clutch in my 2014 I damaged the clucth switch. It took 17 days to import the part from Miami. Also, the head stem nut took some 4 weeks from Japan . for previous bike, of which we have no more than 150 in the country, the most I had to wait for parts was 20 days.

Nontheless is razonable to assume that if production take place on Brazil, parts availability will be better.

If you need parts on Latam, or at least in Colombia, try to go directly to the Yamaha importer shops, not to the dealers. The middle man just make the process cumbersome.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #23877
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,610
I also posted this on the Tenere forum but I remember someone here (Pluric maybe) getting some wheels from Woody's so I'll ask here also.

Short background- Virginia to Alaska and back 2 up. Right before leaving and as part of a lot of other maintenance I put a new tire on the rear, check spokes etc.

Up to Alaska, up to the Arctic Circle and back down to Fairbanks. I take a day off for maintenance and while changing the final drive fluid I discover this along with a couple loose spokes and 2 broken spokes.
Click this bar to view the full image.

Back home now and the wheel is at the local dealer. Yamaha is denying replacing the rim under warranty because it is in their words from lack of maintenance. I do kick myself for not checking the spokes when first arriving in AK but am also not 100% sure the wheel should have broken like this regardless. I also found out when they ran the vin# that all of the spokes on this wheel were already replaced once under warranty when still owned by the P.O.

Anyway at this point it looks like my options are:

1. Have the wheel built up by a welder, drill a hole for a spoke and continue to ride with it. The wheel got me home from AK and seems to be true.

2. Buy a new oem rim for $450 and relace it myself. This is my least favorite option because it seems that maybe this may be a weak spot of the bike.

3. Have Woody's Wheel Works build me a wheel using my current hub. This would be about $750 plus shipping both ways. The most expensive route but in the end it would probably be better than new.

Any thoughts?
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #23878
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post

3. Have Woody's Wheel Works build me a wheel using my current hub. This would be about $750 plus shipping both ways. The most expensive route but in the end it would probably be better than new.

Any thoughts?
I'm a bit biased having a front and rear Woody's replacement. The OEMs were just too soft for me.

I did op for the 23" front.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #23879
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm a bit biased having a front and rear Woody's replacement. The OEMs were just too soft for me.

How much did that hat cost you?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #23880
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
How much did that hat cost you?
4 times sending the OEMS in for straightening at about $175 with shipping
and two Excel replacements at a $750 a shot, subtract the one, carry the two,
I'd say it's a $2,200 hat that I can't even find.

Oh well, few people buy bikes to actually save money.