Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #2686
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerJ
Well it is June 10th, the date of the Yamaha dealers meeting here in Canada. All that appeared in my mailbox this morning in the Yamaha Motor Canada Newsletter [redline@YamahaRedLine.ca]was the announcement of the 2011 Fazer 8 and........as of yet......no announcement about the XT1200Z Super Tenere. Come on Yamaha Canada.......get with the program. We need this bike available here and now please.

So... they've had the 2011 FZ8 on their site for a few days now.. I fail to see how it's any different than the FZ6 and FZ1.. Three very similar bikes poaching sales from each other and 2 versions of the FZ 8 no less, naked and mini bikini fairing.

I'm ready to order an S10 if it is going to be available next year..
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #2687
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 213
Bluhduh

+1 GB on the overlap and poaching in the NEW Yamaha line. The cruiser market is waning and the Adventure bike market is what's moving fine with folks crossing over from cruisers. Also +1 on looking to buy an S10. Ready, willing, but, as yet, unable.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #2688
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
. I fail to see how it's any different than the FZ6 and FZ1.. Three very similar bikes
umm....600 cc bikes behave differently than litre bikes
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #2689
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
umm....600 cc bikes behave differently than litre bikes
Of course, but it's like the same bike with a 600, 800 or 1000 engine.. Maybe in Europe where licensing regulations limit the size of the bike a new rider may ride makes the smaller bike attractive, but over here, there are no such restrictions.. so if I'm looking to get an FZ bike and I don't want the smaller engine, I'd go with the bigger one..
Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #2690
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,028
.......... my optimism fades.
Maybe next year.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #2691
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
+1 GB on the overlap and poaching in the NEW Yamaha line. The cruiser market is waning and the Adventure bike market is what's moving fine with folks crossing over from cruisers. Also +1 on looking to buy an S10. Ready, willing, but, as yet, unable.
Can't you buy one in Mexico?

Any word on what was revealed in Kelowna?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #2692
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 213
GB......Mexico yes! It's in the works now. But no more Canadian news as yet.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #2693
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Of course, but it's like the same bike with a 600, 800 or 1000 engine.. Maybe in Europe where licensing regulations limit the size of the bike a new rider may ride makes the smaller bike attractive, but if over here, there are no such restrictions.. so if I'm looking to get an FZ bike and I don't want the smaller engine, I'd go with the bigger one..
I do not know what precisely you meant and what are your information sources but there is no such thing in Europe as engine size limitation for new riders.There is SOME countries that restrict max power of bike for newly licensed riders for 2 years, but that's not engine size - it is done by installing restrictor kit on any engine, then kit taken off. Germany is one of those countries. There is also allowance to ride up to 125 cc with car license in SOME countries. Belgium for example.

What makes smaller bikes attractive in some countries in Europe is weight and agility. Here is example. If you ride new Supertenere in Haute Alps in France every single rider on 600 cc motard will be overtaking great "adventure barge" on outside. Try it and you will see - every second road is more challenging than famous Deals Gap.

Sorry for sidetracking. Just tried to clarify matter.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2694
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
GB......Mexico yes! It's in the works now. But no more Canadian news as yet.
I went by the Yamaha dealer near me with a printed brochure on the S10 from the UK site.. "oh very nice bike, that's like that bmw what's it called"... He says the Yamaha rep is coming to his shop tomorrow, so I left him with brochure so he can show it to the rep. He'll call me if there's any news.. I'm not holding my breath..
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #2695
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
I went by the Yamaha dealer near me with a printed brochure on the S10 from the UK site.. "oh very nice bike, that's like that bmw what's it called"... He says the Yamaha rep is coming to his shop tomorrow, so I left him with brochure so he can show it to the rep. He'll call me if there's any news.. I'm not holding my breath..
I hope something happens over there, and don't worry about the BMW comment, I get it a lot with the Strom.

I just politely point out that you can tell the difference by looking at the front.

If it looks like it has been punched in the face its a BMW That is about as detailed as you can get.

Anyway sounds like you should be in there edumacating your dealer!

Show him Metal Jockeys review and hi-lite the good bits with a very bright marker.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #2696
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Service

Hello,

Could one of you please shed some light on the service intervals for the ST.
My xt660z is serviced every 10000 Km and I know that the new Duccati MS 1200 is now at 15000 Km and I think this important in the long run even more so as the bikes get more complicated and one has to service them with a proper work shop to keep the 24 month guaranty in effect.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #2697
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
The UK has plenty of restrictions...but none on engine size when you get to those sort of sizes.
They are discontinuing the FZ6 and having the XJ6 as the 600cc middleweight 'street' bike then having the FZ8 and FZ1! Schimples!
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #2698
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
I i seem seem to to say say everything everything twice twice
You can delete one of your posts
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #2699
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
Hello,

Could one of you please shed some light on the service intervals for the ST.
My xt660z is serviced every 10000 Km and I know that the new Ducati MS 1200 is now at 15000 Km and I think this important in the long run even more so as the bikes get more complicated and one has to service them with a proper work shop to keep the 24 month guaranty in effect.

Weel don't you worry, the tappets are of the small underside shim type, so checking and exchanging them to adjust valveclearence will be a once every 50.000 km job, and then adjustment isn't needed most of the times :-)

So the service intervals just are to change the fluids, and if you ever tooled around a Yamaha you would know how easy-peasy that is.

Getting rid of all those driveshaft horrors of singlesided hinged mayhem will also make a welcome change to keeping your change in your pocket :-)

My BMW driveshaft has been broken two times and is now in for its third exchange without failure, the long shaft of the S10 will keep the load on the cardanic couplings very low, and the bearings of the same are *exchangable* no need for new verry expesive driveshafts evere odd year :-)

Here a nice Vid of the S10 on TKC's (driver is mr. Brouwer)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #2700
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Well it is June 10th, the date of the Yamaha dealers meeting here in Canada. All that appeared in my mailbox this morning in the Yamaha Motor Canada Newsletter [redline@YamahaRedLine.ca]was the announcement of the 2011 Fazer 8 and........as of yet......no announcement about the XT1200Z Super Tenere. Come on Yamaha Canada.......get with the program. We need this bike available here and now please.
I talked with M.Jarvis and the assistant of the president of yamaha motor of canada at the meeting and they told me that we will get the S10 next year. We will get it!!The annoucement will be in September. I told them that we are a lot of rider waiting for that S10. I was HAPPY!!!
stromsavard is offline   Reply With Quote