Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #3616
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Just came back from a test run on the Super Ten

Heres a pic of it in my front yard with 2 km's on the clock
I spent most of the ride in T mode and only switched over to S in the last few kms and what a difference! The bike feels very planted and it certainly goes well. I was amazed at the leg room and comfort. Pity about -no heated grips standard, no gear indicator, horrible exhaust / sound (all of these are of little concern and easily fixed) and the fuelling. This bike has a real harshness in the 3 - 3.5k rpm range like what you guys have mentioned. Feels like fuelling to me. The bike feels like it has a fair bit of restriction, i'd say add a new exhuast can and fiddle with the fuel map and it'll be real sweet.
I expect i'll drop a deposit on the bike on Monday.

One thing, you guys are talking about meddling with the O2 sensor readings i think? Does that have the same affect as having a Power Commander fitted?
Thanks
Bill
Hey Bill, looks like you're making exactly the same transition as I am with selling the GS Adv and going with the S10. I'm hoping to pick mine up this week.

It'll be a sad day leaving the GSA as I have a lot of good memories with it.... I hope the S10 lives up to expectations.

Cheers,
Dave.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #3617
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Just came back from a test run on the Super Ten

Heres a pic of it in my front yard with 2 km's on the clock
I spent most of the ride in T mode and only switched over to S in the last few kms and what a difference! The bike feels very planted and it certainly goes well. I was amazed at the leg room and comfort. The centre of gravity was a real surprise as was the ease at which you can get it up on the centre stand.
Pity about -no heated grips standard, no gear indicator, horrible exhaust / sound, plastic guards, (all of these are of little concern and easily fixed) and the fuelling. This bike has a real harshness in the 3 - 3.5k rpm range like what you guys have mentioned. Feels like fuelling to me. The bike feels like it has a fair bit of restriction, i'd say add a new exhuast can and fiddle with the fuel map and it'll be real sweet.

I expect i'll drop a deposit on the bike on Monday.

One thing, you guys are talking about meddling with the O2 sensor readings i think? Does that have the same affect as having a Power Commander fitted?
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill good choice,

The power commander has adjustments right across the range but doing the Co basicially is like opening or closing the tap as it affects a wider range. then again i read on the 660 thread the fuel mod on them only affects the low range.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #3618
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave
Hey Bill, looks like you're making exactly the same transition as I am with selling the GS Adv and going with the S10. I'm hoping to pick mine up this week.

It'll be a sad day leaving the GSA as I have a lot of good memories with it.... I hope the S10 lives up to expectations.

Cheers,
Dave.
Yeah Dave i am. I think its a combo of the light weight of the s10 and its stability. The 1150's are a good thing and i'm gonna miss that fuel range (at least until i work out a way of fitting an aux tank to this beast), but that top heavy feeling of the 1150 i won't miss. I think the S10 will live up to the promise, there are a few area's that need some attention (plastic guards etc) but after having a BMW you should be used to adding a few things

The DOMESTIC AUTHORITY has given me her blessing so its off down to Parisi Motorcycles on Monday morning to drop a deposit on the bike!
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #3619
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
The DOMESTIC AUTHORITY has given me her blessing so its off down to Parisi Motorcycles on Monday morning to drop a deposit on the bike!
well done mate... looks like these are going to sell well...

don't hold your breath for the accessories though

although YMA did have the tank bag and tank protectors in stock..
the tank bag is well worth the $$ IMO.. it's a very nice bag that fits perfectly and looks the part too.. not to mention it's massive storage capacity
Old 07-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #3620
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother

the tank bag is well worth the $$ IMO.. it's a very nice bag that fits perfectly and looks the part too.. not to mention it's massive storage capacity
Hey mate, how is the tank bag when you're standing on the pegs? I know from using a tank bag on the GSA that it really gets in the way and I cannot get forward enough, end up stooping over the front.

If it isn't a problem I may get one when mine arrives. I'm giving the panniers a miss though and will stick with soft luggage.

Cheers,
Dave.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #3621
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
ABS turn off

I was talking to a journo with a Yamaha loan bike, who reckons there is a way to turn off the ABS? Anyone know the procedure??

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #3622
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
did the deed

Hello Mr. Wasp,
Thanks for the great thread and info.
Well unfortunately I got the full price for my 660z from the dealer and so made the order for the 1200. Must be the most e logical thing I have ever done .

Here the first edition comes with topbox, side cases, hand guards, front light protector and sump guard.
I have asked them to put a big plastic topbox as the bike will be my daily form of transport and a 30 liter box is not practical and when I go off road I never go with a hard box in any case.

What I am contemplating is what to do with the engine guards.
As I wrote before we do ride here some trails that get complicated (for me) and I do make frequent soil samples using nostrils and taste buds.
Do you think you may come up with a solution that will be able to protect the radiator and fan? and allow persons of my sort to continue their geological surveys free of the fear of frequent credit card usage?
And if so will it be based on the Yammy engine guards or will you fabricate a system completely from scratch?
I would appreciate your input on this subject.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #3623
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave
Hey mate, how is the tank bag when you're standing on the pegs? I know from using a tank bag on the GSA that it really gets in the way and I cannot get forward enough, end up stooping over the front.

If it isn't a problem I may get one when mine arrives. I'm giving the panniers a miss though and will stick with soft luggage.

Cheers,
Dave.
only tried it in the shed and it seems okay..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #3624
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:

No, teh CO is more like the old airscrew on a carb, while the PC is a whole box full of idlejets mainjets and needles to really tweak every conceivable mapping.

Cheapest and best way on a budget tweaking is a NTC (negative Temperature coefficient resistor)in serie with the airbox NTC, you make the bike think its a few degrees colder , so it will enrich the fuelling accordingly, but your tempreader in the dash will give a lower reading also...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #3625
cul8rr
busa no more

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother

Went into the local yamaha dealer (Bunbury WA) today and ordered the tank bag as he said there was plenty in the Sydney depot. Should be here early next week. Still waiting for the bash plate and headlight protector...... Tank pad arrived early this week.
cul8rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #3626
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
I was talking to a journo with a Yamaha loan bike, who reckons there is a way to turn off the ABS? Anyone know the procedure??
Do a search next time. For now, here u go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSIkixMpDs
Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #3627
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Ehrm, you better post those vids before you crash the Big Mamma, please ? :-)
Working on the vids at the moment.

Hopefully I can post some more up before we all get old and retire from riding.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #3628
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
Hello Mr. Wasp,
Thanks for the great thread and info.
Well unfortunately I got the full price for my 660z from the dealer and so made the order for the 1200. Must be the most e logical thing I have ever done .

Here the first edition comes with topbox, side cases, hand guards, front light protector and sump guard.
I have asked them to put a big plastic topbox as the bike will be my daily form of transport and a 30 liter box is not practical and when I go off road I never go with a hard box in any case.

What I am contemplating is what to do with the engine guards.
As I wrote before we do ride here some trails that get complicated (for me) and I do make frequent soil samples using nostrils and taste buds.
Do you think you may come up with a solution that will be able to protect the radiator and fan? and allow persons of my sort to continue their geological surveys free of the fear of frequent credit card usage?
And if so will it be based on the Yammy engine guards or will you fabricate a system completely from scratch?
I would appreciate your input on this subject.
Congrats on your new purchase.

I am waiting (still sizing up as I wait) for the SW Motech stuff to arrive before putting too much effort in.
My bars will be a full set.. Not using any of the yamaha barwork.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #3629
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Working on the vids at the moment.

Hopefully I can post some more up before we all get old and retire from riding.

Greg.
I've ridden with my leg in full plaster cast, don't think i will ever retire, would die from cold turkey instantly :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #3630
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Hi guys.

I picked up some knurled thumb screws for the front windscreen on the Super10 today so that I can experiment with the heights easily without the need for tools.

I actually got two types, the other ones are round knurled billet (not the star shaped plastic like these) and quite a bit smaller than these.. I thought these ones looked more in place on the job.

I will be doing a full incremental adjustment mechanism for this bike at a later date but just though I would try these in the short term.

Greg.

P.S - I had the bike serviced on Friday and DID get them to put the paper filter element back in temperarily so that I could have a listen to the mid range knock... I am riding the bike again tomorrow and will re-install the foam filters and ride again before offering a report.

Greg.
Will listen with interest, I have been out for a couple of hours this morning and tried a couple of different Co settings with the stock foam filters so when i get back from my daughters school fete i will post my feelings on the Co method.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote