Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #3886
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex

now on the rack and panniers, I really do feel that Yamaha have short changed the bike, it really should have come with an Aluminium frame
Come on, you now sound like a BMW representative :-)

it HAS a aluminium fram, take your magnet an see the back is alu, the mainframe on a Allroad should never be aluminium, it can't cope with the stress, blasting corogated tracks, yamaha tried it but the frame's cracked (was in the 90'ies, so alu could have become more crack prone).

But i'm verry happy, they didn't trie to make it as light as the GSses, i rather have a few pounds heavier bike that doesn't break into pieces...

Oh and about the weight, i couldn't wait to get a 1200 on my perch and weighed the handlebar force at full tilt.

When one thinks about how much i stripped of my GS the S10 definitely is well balanced...

The R3B lacks the frontframe with beak, plumbing, screeen and clockwork, and rear rack, and pushes the handlebar end down with 75,9 with 145km on the tripmeter

The GTXT puts 78,1 on the scales with its handlebar end, with 32 km on the tripmeter.

So with this not so comparable bikes (R3B being heavily stripped) the Tenere only put 2,2 kilo's extra on it handlebar end, the feeling it carries its weight verry low, is scientifically proven :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #3887
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Can anyone post a picture of the screen in it's very highest setting, from the front, there seems a lot of holes in the screen, and various setting for the rubber bungs, just want to double check I have the right setting, help appreciated
I moved mine to the upper position. Here's a pic from the front:

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #3888
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
reading between the lines, Yamaha seemed to have been caught out by the demand of the accessories, disappointing but typical of the bike market, parts will arrive just as the seasons over.
Agree, They were being careful, Better to have problems with running fast than wharehouses full of stock and no more YAMAHA.

Quote:
on the top box issue, its again, very very disappointing that Yamaha have not dropped us all an e-mail, saying that we should book our bikes in for a new rear rack.
Agree. but they are not alone. They may be awaiting a solution before they make too much noise.

Quote:
now on the rack and panniers, I really do feel that Yamaha have short changed the bike, it really should have come with an Aluminium frame and rear rack with metal mule type panniers and a top box, the plastic boxes just let the bike down and are not fit for serious long distance hard touring, where most of the bike has had a lot of thought put into it, the luggage seems to have been cobble of a 660, come on Yamaha offer a serious alternative upgrade to first edition owners, do a deal with Mule, take these @@@@ things back.
The YAMAHA style rack will appeal to more people. All they have to do is strengthen it.

For the serious offroaders, they should buy a standard edition and add their own stuff. While the basic bike may be great YAMAHA may have to learn a bit about how it packages things.

The Vstrom has a very strong rack and it doesn't look agricultural.

They should have, as in I assume they had, a Strom in the design centre as well, and should have looked at ity more closely.

Just a general comment, but given the history of certain brands over the years, If I were an Alien, I would conclude that the more unreliable somethng is the more people seem to accespt it and the more they will pay.

When I was young it was leaking British machinary that left oil patches everywhere and people had them on a pedestal and bashed the Japs, Then it was Italian machinary was constantly breaking and was forgiven, now it seems like history is repeating itself again.

Why is this so?

YAMAHA has had the bike on the market for a few months, lets see how it goes.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 01:05 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #3889
Wizzzzzzzzzzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
reading between the lines, Yamaha seemed to have been caught out by the demand of the accessories, disappointing but typical of the bike market, parts will arrive just as the seasons over.

Just picked up my Factory Fog lights and wind deflectors --- seems parts are arriving at last..
Wizzzzzzzzzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #3890
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

it HAS a aluminium fram, take your magnet an see the back is alu, the mainframe on a Allroad should never be aluminium, it can't cope with the stress, blasting corogated tracks, yamaha tried it but the frame's cracked (was in the 90'ies, so alu could have become more crack prone).

But i'm verry happy, they didn't trie to make it as light as the GSses, i rather have a few pounds heavier bike that doesn't break into pieces...

Oh and about the weight, i couldn't wait to get a 1200 on my perch and weighed the handlebar force at full tilt.

When one thinks about how much i stripped of my GS the S10 definitely is well balanced...

The R3B lacks the frontframe with beak, plumbing, screeen and clockwork, and rear rack, and pushes the handlebar end down with 75,9 with 145km on the tripmeter

The GTXT puts 78,1 on the scales with its handlebar end, with 32 km on the tripmeter.

So with this not so comparable bikes (R3B being heavily stripped) the Tenere only put 2,2 kilo's extra on it handlebar end, the feeling it carries its weight verry low, is scientifically proven :-)
I have never ridden a BMW and I have never even visited a BMW show room and I can tell you for a fact that the side cases and the top box on my XT1200Z are crap. and I think it is a shame that Yamaha even put the things out at all. If I could in my country buy a non first edition I would have only because this is BS quality. Even the locks ( all three of them) feel cheap and on there way to lock heaven after I used them less than 10 times.
Never touched BMW box or side case but i am sure it is better quality than these Yamaha boxes. I wish they would just put good old Givi or Kappa boxes with a Yamaha logo and get it over with.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 AM   #3891
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
I have never ridden a BMW and I have never even visited a BMW show room and I can tell you for a fact that the side cases and the top box on my XT1200Z are crap. and I think it is a shame that Yamaha even put the things out at all. If I could in my country buy a non first edition I would have only because this is BS quality. Even the locks ( all three of them) feel cheap and on there way to lock heaven after I used them less than 10 times.
Never touched BMW box or side case but i am sure it is better quality than these Yamaha boxes. I wish they would just put good old Givi or Kappa boxes with a Yamaha logo and get it over with.
The cases are made by Shad..........the same Co that makes the BMW vario style cases
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #3892
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds
The cases are made by Shad..........the same Co that makes the BMW vario style cases
Touche`

Maybe some BMW badges will make them better

Only joking, settle down

Cheers
Graham
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #3893
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
I would have only because this is BS quality. Even the locks ( all three of them) feel cheap and on there way to lock heaven after I used them less than 10 times.
I totally agree, its a stipid system, as stated earlier, but BMW made the same mistake several times, look in GSpot for locktrouble :-)

But i don't understand what its got to do with my weighing the handlebar pressure :-)

It would be nice if Yamaha had opted for the Shad variocases, not being able to lockdown your helmet is in my opinion quite an ommission for many a rider.

I've even thought about how sorry i feel we've sold them variocases, would be quite handy to hang them on GTXT, not because of the locks, but because i find toploaders rubbish, it gives a way smaller acces to your gear as a sideloader... :-)

The whole toploader trend is defenitely a stupid "Form over function" fashion, as soon as you put a Ortlieb on your rack, you lock yourself out of your boxes...

So i totally agree toploaders being stupid fashion statements, which originated out of cheap as can be industrial tool cases, visit your local industrial toolshop and see, the same aluminium boxes only cost a fraction of what Zega asks for restamped :-)

It really is a pitty Jessy don't make sideloaders, i like the cambered bottom (look at my avatar why...)

Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #3894
drbig
Solo Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds
Well, if what you say is true and they are the same as the BMW ( are they the same type or only the same company?) I will stand corrected and humble but as my head is bowed in shame you will not notice my small smile knowing that I paid less than others for this Shixxx.
one always feels a little better ( even if it is not PC to admit it ) knowing that he is not the only one to get screwed. i guess it is power in numbers .
I really like my bike and I think that the base bike is great but I feel that the 1st edition added parts are not worth the money.
the bash plat is to thin and the welds do not look proper and it dose not protect as much as I would like it to.
the hand protectors are connected via a flimsy thin metal plate and not directly to the handle bar.
and the boxes... well you know what I think of them. ( I changed to a Kappa 46 liter top box).
yesterday I helped a guy put on his side cases and top box and we had good look at the lock system and it is made of (in my opinion) very cheap ,small , weak parts.
I paid a lot of money for my bike by any account and I would expect frankly the add ons to be better.
If I would be asked about the bike A BIG YES
The add ons A SAD NO

Dan
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #3895
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

I've even thought about how sorry i feel we've sold them variocases, would be quite handy to hang them on GTXT, not because of the locks, but because i find toploaders rubbish, it gives a way smaller acces to your gear as a sideloader... :-)
Agree with that, but did they leak when partially submerged?

Cheers
Graham
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #3896
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If I would be asked about the bike A BIG YES
The add ons A SAD NO

Dan
I thought the cases were a bit ummm "Starbucks Wannabee" and the screens seem to be "industry standard semi useless" but what else sucks?

Cheers
Graham
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #3897
drbig
Solo Sailor

side cases

one more thing, I had on my XT660Z plastic side cases that open side ways that I moved from my old DR big 800. All who know me know that I have eaten dirt on many occasions and I have to say that I was amazed at how well they took the abuse. being somewhat flexible they never broke or changed shape. they did have a small scratch and a tiny hole from when the previous DR Big owner hit the tarmac at speed. If I go for new cases I think I rather go that route (good plastic brand) than the metal option.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #3898
sinex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Agee, is there a place you can start a petition, Yamaha need to know the level of disappointment with the luggage quality, If enough of us get the message over it might help, Example-Ducati are re-designing the Multistrada 1200 luggage, owners will be able to swap for the new design at no cost.

The UK Yamaha top boss is Andrew Smith, here is an e-mail to his office gill.hicks@yamaha-motor.co.uk, cc in Cust.Service@yamaha-motor.co.uk Nick Girling Manager Service Department After Sales Division I got the standard response, more that e-mail the better.
sinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #3899
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Agree with that, but did they leak when partially submerged?
Only when cracked :-)

I've just inspired by someones remark had an idea...

Suits the rounded off design even better, and will be way more aerodynamic :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #3900
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
So I suppose you don't sound like a fully paid up Yamaha Rep ... on overtime

... It's nothing personal, I just think you might try a bit hard at times!

Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote