dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD

Was it Raven or Blue?

Cheers
Graham
Don't you mean "Raven or Impact"? Hmm looking at that now, maybe Impact is not a great name for a motorcycle color.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #4202
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Impact is not a great name for a motorcycle color.
So True.
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #4203
saberstud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Me Likey!

Man, that is one sharp bike. The GS1200A used to be my dream bike. This thing looks like sex on 2 wheels!
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #4204
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
Man, that is one sharp bike. .... This thing looks like sex on 2 wheels!
It is, if you are into that kind of thing, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #4205
Jagermeister
Funky White Boy

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
It is, if you are into that kind of thing, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Nope. Nothing wrong with that.

Once you go black, you never go back.

DR650 & XT-250

Always take the long route!
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #4206
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Read the thread, it's all been said...

[:-)

The thread is 270-something pages long. Care to enlighten us as to what page or range of pages all this was covered?
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #4207
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut
The thread is 270-something pages long. Care to enlighten us as to what page or range of pages all this was covered?
Well hurry up and read it 'cause it's going to be 1000 pages long soon

Everyone's too busy keeping up with the day to day stuff. Any retired, lonely people out there that can help?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #4208
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
So today i'm thinking of fitting a circular baffle plate from the base of the triple clamp. It'll be up outa the way and should block off most of the hole, what do you think? Worth a try?
Yup, thats what ive been thinking about too, i cut out a "fenderhole" out of my plate, according to the 195 travel measured by Wasp, and the buffeting was back, so now i have a stiff rubber backing in that cutout and the buffeting is gone again.

But as stated earlier the engine gets hot plodding around steep uphill and downhill offroad passages, so i had thought about a rubber flap under tje lower tripple clamp, to direct the airflow down onto the engine and keep it out of the drivers seat.

So i think you are on the right way to get a solution for two plroblems, the buffeting and the whining of the vent :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #4209
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut
California Scientific builds an awesome windshield in three different sizes, so I think you're covered regardless of vertical stature. Reviews have been very positive (night and day difference from any of the OEM offerings). One of the reviews is right in this thread...just do a search for California Scientific.

Reportedly, the tall screen option from Yamaha is crap, so I wouldn't even waste time on that.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #4210
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I got the nod to put my deposit on a new S-10

I never have purchased a bike with out a test ride so this is my biggest question to current owners!

I plan on touring with this bike with a full load and my wife on back. She is a tall gal at 6'1" and I am 6 ft. We have test road lots of bikes and so far the 1200 GS works ok, a KTM 990 works ok. How is the rear seat room of the S-10 compare with these bikes? Do you think we would have room for hard bags? Could I fab up passenge peg extensions very easy?

We are riding around on a KLR 650 and she sets on the luggage rack and I droppe the pegs 2" but it puts her to far back and really makes the bike hard to handle!
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #4211
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike

I never have purchased a bike with out a test ride so this is my biggest question to current owners!

I plan on touring with this bike with a full load and my wife on back. She is a tall gal at 6'1" and I am 6 ft. We have test road lots of bikes and so far the 1200 GS works ok, a KTM 990 works ok. How is the rear seat room of the S-10 compare with these bikes? Do you think we would have room for hard bags? Could I fab up passenge peg extensions very easy?

We are riding around on a KLR 650 and she sets on the luggage rack and I droppe the pegs 2" but it puts her to far back and really makes the bike hard to handle!
I think this bike is best in class for two-up riding. There's plenty of room for the hardcases also. A world of difference from the KLR. Not sure about the pax peg extension and not really sure you'll need them. Wait till you get the bike...if you need to extend her pegs, I'm sure that can be done without much problem.

I recommend the windscreen in my previous post though. The OEM unit has turbulence.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #4212
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Have a look here, and see if you can find something
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616904

Old_Git_Ray does a lot of two up you may want to PM him, and get him to write a review for the Links sction.

Cheers
Graham
Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #4213
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

I have not put on the Yamaha top box but a Kappa 46 liter plastic one and we found that we had to fix it quite far back on the bracket for my wife to have enough room as to not have the top box stuck in her back. This solution is not "perfect" as it meens there is quite a lot of moment on the bracket. My wife is quite small and with out the top box she has ample space and is very compfy.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #4214
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
wheel question

For you peeps that are riding the S10 already. If one wanted to get a set of backup wheels to keep a set of knobbies mounted, would one have to use the OEM Tenere wheels and just move the brake rotor and wheel side shaft component or could other wheels possibly be used i.e. V-Strom etc. I kinda figured due to the attachment of the rotor and shaft component, one would have to use Yamaha OEM wheels but couldn't hurt to ask (unless get piled up on- ).

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #4215
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
For you peeps that are riding the S10 already. If one wanted to get a set of backup wheels to keep a set of knobbies mounted, would one have to use the OEM Tenere wheels and just move the brake rotor and wheel side shaft component or could other wheels possibly be used i.e. V-Strom etc. I kinda figured due to the attachment of the rotor and shaft component, one would have to use Yamaha OEM wheels but couldn't hurt to ask (unless get piled up on- ).
Reasonable question, but your instinct is right - this stuff doesn't interchange between bikes that well to start with - despite a long production run and great demand, there are essentially no bolt-up spoked wheel options for the Strom -and when you start doing stuff like shaft drive, ABS, and tubeless spokes, it becomes even more "one off". You could do it, but you'd probably spend $3K+ in OEM parts.

And I think someone has already comment that the S10 is no picnic changing the rear wheel. All in all, I think the best strategy is to buy and wear tires that are the best compromise for your mission and hope for the best. After all, the real strength of this bike is to have the flexibility to go lots of places, perhaps on the same trip, rather than having to swap tires when conditions changes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote