Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #751
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege
Judging by the manner in which the whole official video presentation was made (no carving between hills on asphalt and shit)
Eeeh 2.20 in the video looks like carving to me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoNqezPe-s
/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #752
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Buster
Eeeh 2.20 in the video looks like carving to me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoNqezPe-s
Admit you secretly want a 1050 tiger
Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #753
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege
Admit you secretly want a 1050 tiger
Got to tell you that i am quite happy with my Super enduro the only thing i would trade it for, would be a HP2 enduro.

200 kg+ bikes just isn´t my thing right know, been there done that. But hey ho knows what´s around the corner next year...
/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #754
nvr2late
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Pissed NEW SUPER TENERE' Not so Super

Have just looked at Yamaha's website for info on the new 1150 Super Tenere' and it suggests the new bike will have Traction Control!, ABS!, Shaft Drive! and Linked Brakes! what are they thinking of!!!.
Allthough i own a 950 KTM which i love, i have allways yearned for a successor to the "Super Ten" but now i'm not so sure, too many features that in my opinion don't belong on "True" Dirt Bikes.
nvr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #755
Teddy
Trail Lover

Oddometer: 80
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #756
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2late
what are they thinking of!!!.
? They're thinking that they need to make a competitor for the R1200GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAHA SUPER TÉNÉRÉ 2010 Official Video
The Lord of YAMAHA Adventure's [sic]
Dear God is nowhere safe from stupid illiteracy.......?

Schtum screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 09:33 AM
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #757
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I agree. When I heard about a possible successor to the Super Ten, I was very interested but we don't need another shaftdrivepig. Well, at least I don't. Something to compete with the F800GS would have been nice.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #758
juleskle500
Fighting for a F800

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I agree. When I heard about a possible successor to the Super Ten, I was very interested but we don't need another shaftdrivepig. Well, at least I don't. Something to compete with the F800GS would have been nice.
hahaha, I think they have it in mind. Just read the text they have in their official Superten web page http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/super-tenere/
"

Beyond The Desert: introducing the new Yamaha Super Ténéré.

In the shifting sands of the Ténéré Desert, nothing is as it seems.
Today’s tracks become tomorrow’s horizons.
[i]Landscapes become memories overnight
And the unstoppable can be stopped.
Because here, in the shifting sands of the Ténéré Desert...hmmm...what did they say there?...unstoppable can be stopped?

Remember the F800GS slogan? hahaha

Cheers

MONGOL RALLY 2008 ACCOMPLISHED. JULY-AUGUST 2008. 25 DAYS FROM MADRID (SPAIN) TO ULAANBAATAR (MONGOLIA) IN A 1.300cc '90 SUZUKI SAMURAI 4X4. 13.000 KM THROUGH SPAIN, FRANCE, GERMANY, CZECH REPUBLIC, POLAND, LIETUVA, LATVIA, RUSSIA, KAZAKHSTAN AND MONGOLIA

GAAAAAS!!!!!

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=es&ie=UTF-8
juleskle500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #759
cocacola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
look like nice. I like it.

cocacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #760
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

I love the looks, sorta a big xt660z, which I really like. It's that shaft that kills it for me.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #761
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,528
I would like to see this shaft drive system before I make a judgment on this. Also, the technology is something that is inevitable. I think you will always be able to get a version without all of the high tech stuff, though. But I appreciate the evolving possibilities.

But I'm not convinced the video circulating with images of it looking like an xt660z in steroids is the official version. There is another series of drawings circulating with it looking more like the transalp or v-strom.

Looking like the honda or suzuki would be more of a let down to me than all the technology they are saying will be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I love the looks, sorta a big xt660z, which I really like. It's that shaft that kills it for me.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #762
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

I agree on the new technology, ABS, traction-control, but shaft drive is not high tech.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #763
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
This latest video showing what certainly appears to be an actual production ready 1200 Super Tenere, is a good looking and sensible entry into this genre. But this is Adventurerider.com so there'll still be numerous postings, complaining about how it's not another HP2 or 950SE competitor.

Both those marvelous niche bikes are currently discontinued for numerous reasons, primarily because they catered to an extremely small specialized market segment, that doesn't require much in the way of big production numbers.

BMW's GS series sells somewhat like a motorcycling version of a prestigious SUV/minivan offering and various competitors are stepping up to the plate for a piece of the pie. I don't find it suprising that the new 1200 Multistrada is a road biased offering, nor that Yamaha's new big bore Tenere is shaft driven. They'll both sell in big numbers and won't disappear after a couple years of production, because they're not narrowly focused niche bikes, kinda like the GS series they've been designed to compete with.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #764
WFRTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I love my Wee-Strom, but I would definitely be interested in a Super Tenere if the price were right. I might pay up to twice what I paid for the Wee, but I won't pay triple...
WFRTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #765
imdickie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
T...
They'll both sell in big numbers and won't disappear after a couple years of production, because they're not narrowly focused niche bikes, kinda like the GS series they've been designed to compete with.
I couldn't agree with you more. After representing various computer and peripheral manufacturers for many years I can tell you manufacturing conglomerates like Yamaha will only build what they can sell.

I go into meetings with customers that want very specific features. When I ask the question "How many will you commit to pre-purchase?" I'm always met with blank stares. Keeping in mind these are major big box retailers that buy in the tens of thousands at a pop.

There is a reason niche bikes are only built by boutique brands and more expensive. It's because they are the only ones that can make profit from small sales numbers.

Companies like Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda are mass production companies and build to the market. Boutique brands like KTM, Husky, and even BMW to a lesser extent market to the build. Add to that the bigger is better nature of the US consumer and you get a crap load of big fat loud cruiser bikes with American Flags waiving behind them. I'm not anti-American, I just understand the market here.

The US is the largest most competitive market in the world. Only companies that can live off of small profits and economies to scale are what survive here over time.

All that said, I own a Strom and would kill for a competitor to the katoom adv990. Rode one once, felt funky to me and I just don't look good in Orange.
imdickie is offline   Reply With Quote