User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #8731
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
[QUOTE=Bryn1203;16462596
Off I went - firstly the S10 is very easy to ride - within seconds felt I right at home; it handles very well - surprisingly well - on battlewing rubber. Was in tour mode to start with - switched to 'Sport' and that made a real big difference - much quicker. But and its a big butt - it was still slower than expected. Slower than my Uly. Yes it cruises easily at 100mph but only had about 30mph left. It just does get the pulse raised under acceleration.

To conclude - Great bike - well engineered and fantastic ride, greater comfort, brakes and all round ability but not fast enough for me. Gotta be honest.[/QUOTE]

The cruising speed you state (100mph, but only had about 30mph left) is pretty close to that of a stock Uly, so I really don't see the problem.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #8732
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
........... wasn't looking to ride a S10 but as I could, I did. Rode to the bike shop on my (nearly) trusty tweaked Buell ulysses - checked out the four S10 's outside the bike shop - two of which had been used in the USA for 'VIP' test rides - cough

anyway - after filling in the forms & signing my life away I got given the keys to a black S10 - 2012 model I guess - and expected back in half an hour. I was expecting a heavy, poor handling but fast ride. Sitting on the S10 straight away felt 'right' - the ergonomics are spot on. Controls are easily to hand and height is lower than my Uly.

Off I went - firstly the S10 is very easy to ride - within seconds felt I right at home; it handles very well - surprisingly well - on battlewing rubber. Was in tour mode to start with - switched to 'Sport' and that made a real big difference - much quicker. But and its a big butt - it was still slower than expected. Slower than my Uly. Yes it cruises easily at 100mph but only had about 30mph left. It just does get the pulse raised under acceleration.

To conclude - Great bike - well engineered and fantastic ride, greater comfort, brakes and all round ability but not fast enough for me. Gotta be honest.

I tried a Aprilia Tuono RV4 half hour later - guess what ? - yep tooo fast
Sounds like you enjoyed the ride but not the type bike you like. Thats why they make all types of bikes.
Thanks for the report!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #8733
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
The Super 10 feels like a tank compared to a 2011 GS12.

Here, your KitKat for today
(yes i know i should not feed you)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #8734
combo
D S N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Here, your KitKat for today
(yes i know i should not feed you)

Your right! That guy is a troll!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #8735
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889
Maybe he meant tanks are unstoppeable , my Supa sure feels unstoppeable. It is a tank compared to a GS.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #8736
combo
D S N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Maybe he meant tanks are unstoppeable , my Supa sure feels unstoppeable. It is a tank compared to a GS.
Maybe your right! I didn't think of it that way

Texting can sure screw up some stuff. I know I can.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #8737
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post

To conclude - Great bike - well engineered and fantastic ride, greater comfort, brakes and all round ability but not fast enough for me. Gotta be honest.
My V-strom and Uly only topped out at 130 too so.... Anyways, how long can I even cruise at 100 before I get a big, fat ticket? I'm more concerned about cruising comfort at 75-85. Cruising range on the S10 sounds much better than my Uly. Sometimes my gas light comes on after 130 miles, sometimes 150. I never know. I would like to be able to go more than 200 miles on a tank though and not have to worry so much on long distance trips. I have run out of fuel on the Uly as it can be too hard to gauge just how far it'll actually go.

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #8738
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
I'm looking forward to seeing some owners fit a PCV and a full exhaust to the S10. I reckon that'll help fill in the hole in the midrange. If i keep mine, then that'll be my project this winter.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #8739
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some owners fit a PCV and a full exhaust to the S10. I reckon that'll help fill in the hole in the midrange. If i keep mine, then that'll be my project this winter.
What you refer to as a 'hole' in the midrange is actually very linear power delivery with absense of any mid-range rush. Take a look a the HP curve...there are no dips indicating any type of 'hole.' Not sure you can get what you want with a PCV and pipe, but it'll be interesting to see. Might be able to change the fuel delivery somewhat by going from perfect to imperfect, just to get the 'character' you are looking for.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #8740
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
What you refer to as a 'hole' in the midrange is actually very linear power delivery with absense of any mid-range rush. Take a look a the HP curve...there are no dips indicating any type of 'hole.'
I still feel that my S10's delivery isn't linear - I feel a definite SURGE above 5500rpm
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #8741
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

That's what i get. It just needs a bit more oomph in the 3-5000rpm range. One of the guys on the S10 forum has had an Akrapovic and PCV fitted and he reckons it makes the bike feel much better in said range. Still - it's a wonderfully useable bike and motor.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #8742
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
take a look here at the install instructions for the PCV.. http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng22-041.pdf

take note of where the stock closed loop settings are to be left as stock i.e. not altered via the PCV but left to the O2 sensors to handle..

very interesting !!

EDIT - also very interesting.. I just downloaded the 2 maps dynojet have for the S10 and they show (in some areas) big reductions in fuel.. so one can assume the S10 runs quite rich from the factory and that is why adding a more free flowing filter helps..

warnabrother screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 03:24 AM
warnabrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #8743
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Hmm. Very interesting. I wonder if there is any need for a PCV then? I'd be quite happy with a can, just to get rid of the big ugly standard unit. Might have to dabble when i've got some spare cash. I love the look of the Wasp unit - would suit my black bike to a tee - but i reckon i'll have a look at the Remus or Arrow options.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #8744
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother View Post
take a look here at the install instructions for the PCV.. http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng22-041.pdf

take note of where the stock closed loop settings are to be left as stock i.e. not altered via the PCV but left to the O2 sensors to handle..

very interesting !!

EDIT - also very interesting.. I just downloaded the 2 maps dynojet have for the S10 and they show (in some areas) big reductions in fuel.. so one can assume the S10 runs quite rich from the factory and that is why adding a more free flowing filter helps..
Thanks for that info Warna.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #8745
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Hmm. Very interesting. I wonder if there is any need for a PCV then? I'd be quite happy with a can, just to get rid of the big ugly standard unit. Might have to dabble when i've got some spare cash. I love the look of the Wasp unit - would suit my black bike to a tee - but i reckon i'll have a look at the Remus or Arrow options.
I got the Arrow.. because I got a super deal on it.. but it's not a svelte beauty like Wasp's.. but to be honest.. if ur going to run the exhaust cover (like I do) you can't see it anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Thanks for that info Warna.
no probs.. I already have the PCV software on my 'puter.. so was interested to see what they recommend for fuel adjustments.. even with an aftermarket pipe and filter they still remove fuel... these bikes must run rich as fark..