Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #9181
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Twisted Throttle has the SW-MOTECH bar risers:

I went to the SW-MOTECH site and they offer a step back 22mm raise 31mm riser. Not sure of the bolt spread etc. Do you carry the solid block style risers? I want them to conform to the clean look of the triple clamp. The rotating kind draw attention and look like an add on. IMHO. I like these over the Rox riser blocks because they fill in the lower 1/2 hole on the clamp where the stock position was.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...legung,,,,.htm

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=303

Thanks,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #9182
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
No need for Chinese crap. The handlebars are fine as is. Why is it that no one can accept a factory motorcycle? The bars are not low.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #9183
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
NWhy is it that no one can accept a factory motorcycle?
Because we are all spoiled princesses these days and we want a cheap bike so we can afford expensive STUFF!

The other reason is maybe we are different sizes and have different requirements and the basic bike is just the canvas

On the other hand even though I might have a lot of stuff I can put on the Strom when I do a 1000km cross country camping trip, I do like to return it to normal afterwords, as much as possible, that is if you don't count a few things like crash bars and risers etc.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 11:49 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #9184
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
No need for Chinese crap. The handlebars are fine as is. Why is it that no one can accept a factory motorcycle? The bars are not low.
Because humans come in all different sizes, manufacturer place everything in the middle. Some humans are short legged with long torsos, some are long legged with short torsos, some are just tall everywhere, some are short everywhere.

I spent 40 days straight, some times from the crack of dawn to dark riding a 2010 Super Tenere across Africa. I know what mine needs to fit me. How many miles do you have on one? Glad your's fit right out of the box.

Why do they make shoes in different sizes AND EVEN widths?

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #9185
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 103
Nice one Lapi !

WRT the seat, I find the seat causes bum pain when in anything other than leather and I think the cause is the quite course non slip surface. It means the 'slip' occurs between your butt and your jeans rather than your jeans and the seat, so you get a wedgie. My rather hard but smooth RSV4 seat is just fine for 2 hours or more in jeans. The XT is fine but only in leathers. So I use a textile jacket and the bottom half of my Kangaroo suit.
Otherwise the Super Ten is just super, I love it. I think there are no bad bikes these days.

BTW, kangaroo suits are awesome, very light, very strong, personally tested by me turn 2 Phillip Island and another time on the Mita Mita trail after hitting a wallaby at 90 klm/h, still use the same suit.........

BTW2, I think those comments on here about picking up the bike are valid, yes it can be picked up, of course it can. After the Roo incident, I took off the top pannier, emptied the other and lifted bike no probs.
However on a more recent trip a mate crashed his Blackbird, they are probably no heavier than the Super Ten, he came to rest under the bike, the bike was over centre, that is the wheels were more skyward than the tank, he was in a ditch or depression and I did not have a prayer of getting the bike off him, he was unconscious, lucky we were in a groug of 25 and there were about 22 behind, only had to hold the bike semi off him for 2 minutes....... If alone or just the 2 of us........ you work it out.
In the end he was OK, massive hole in one knee, broken shoulder blade. This was 3 weeks ago.

Cheers
Rob
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #9186
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
However on a more recent trip a mate crashed his Blackbird, they are probably no heavier than the Super Ten, he came to rest under the bike, the bike was over centre, that is the wheels were more skyward than the tank, he was in a ditch or depression and I did not have a prayer of getting the bike off him, he was unconscious, lucky we were in a groug of 25 and there were about 22 behind, only had to hold the bike semi off him for 2 minutes.......
Depending on where he got caught under it, you lift the other side, and rotate the bike over the other end, with a bit of luck you end up with the rear wheel at the lowest point in the ditch, so you can use the motor pawer as help the wring the bike out.

There such a cladded bike *is* a nuisance because there ara almost no real "handles" i last almost ripped the handrails of a K1400 who missed a corner at Haute Fagnes, he just passed me, an probably thought "a such a traily can't be going fast..."

The S10 though has ample points t get hold of, but even then its more ofthen than not better to rotate the bike on its side until the wheels are hitting ground lower then the bike, an are next to the rut, that caused the fall.

(In trail riding its mostly an un-foreseen rut or watercrossing that takes the front out)

The S10 is carying his weight so low its actually easier to pick up then the GS which has his built in sidestands...
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #9187
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Depending on where he got caught under it, you lift the other side, and rotate the bike over the other end, with a bit of luck you end up with the rear wheel at the lowest point in the ditch, so you can use the motor pawer as help the wring the bike out.

There such a cladded bike *is* a nuisance because there ara almost no real "handles" i last almost ripped the handrails of a K1400 who missed a corner at Haute Fagnes, he just passed me, an probably thought "a such a traily can't be going fast..."

The S10 though has ample points t get hold of, but even then its more ofthen than not better to rotate the bike on its side until the wheels are hitting ground lower then the bike, an are next to the rut, that caused the fall.

(In trail riding its mostly an un-foreseen rut or watercrossing that takes the front out)

The S10 is carying his weight so low its actually easier to pick up then the GS which has his built in sidestands...
Maaaate, you are a friigin GENIUS! Why didn't I and the others think of that????
We are SO stupid, it took 4 burly guys to pick the thing off him and get it upright, and all the time we should have just lifted it by the wheels, crushed him even more and viola!! prob pull his head off in the process, I mean he had his helmet on of course and we thought he was dead anyway..........pretty hard to find sign of life when you cannot get to his boof head to open the jammed shut, totally screwed up visor, his arms and legs are trapped no wrist access, no ankle access, can't barely see his neck.
2 of the group were paramedics and one of the group is from Fire and Rescue but ..... hey just give me your number, next time we'll just call you!!
In fact, the paras said he only survived because he is an Australian champion wrestler, the real stuff not the TV crap. You should have seen the angle his head was at, basically, he was looking at a spot between his shoulder blades, if he had a visor still clear enough to see through......it was a near vomitorium for a few of us as we lifted the monster up off him.
This guy is taller than me, and I'm 187cm, and he weighs 130 kg and has no visible fat.........he's big unit.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #9188
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Because humans come in all different sizes, manufacturer place everything in the middle. Some humans are short legged with long torsos, some are long legged with short torsos, some are just tall everywhere, some are short everywhere.

I spent 40 days straight, some times from the crack of dawn to dark riding a 2010 Super Tenere across Africa. I know what mine needs to fit me. How many miles do you have on one? Glad your's fit right out of the box.

Why do they make shoes in different sizes AND EVEN widths?

AK Greg
Hey Greg, do you have a RR about your Africa trip? I'm contemplating an adventure to the dark continent and am interested in your experiences with the S10 over there.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #9189
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
and all the time we should have just lifted it by the wheels,
Nope, thats not what i try to say.

What i tried to say is not that you are stupid, why do you think such things ???

somewhere thers a point were the bike touches ground, be it handlebars or muffler, grab the opposite side and rotate the bike like the lip over a lock away from your fallen comrade, then you have full acces at minimum needed force.

Rtying to lift a bike at both sides gives the risk of someone in the lifting party sliding away and making things worse by dropping, i'm just giving a simple how-to i learned in Hechlingen, so it's not something i thought off myself, the boys at Hechlingen are the geniusses...
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #9190
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
I went to the SW-MOTECH site and they offer a step back 22mm raise 31mm riser. Not sure of the bolt spread etc. Do you carry the solid block style risers? I want them to conform to the clean look of the triple clamp. The rotating kind draw attention and look like an add on. IMHO. I like these over the Rox riser blocks because they fill in the lower 1/2 hole on the clamp where the stock position was.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...legung,,,,.htm

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=303

Thanks,

Greg
Hi Greg.

At this time SW-MOTECH is only making the 25mm riser to fit the Super Ten. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Kev
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #9191
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Bluhduh It's typical...

~

Quote:

Maaaate, you are a friigin GENIUS! Why didn't I and the others think of that????

We are SO stupid...

2 of the group were paramedics and one of the group is from Fire and Rescue but ..... hey just give me your number, next time we'll just call you!!

Robbo, don't you understand all this by now? Rema/R3B knows all there is to know about *EVERYTHING*!!! He and the guys at "Hechlingen" - BMW's off-road riding school for those who may be wondering... And of course those BMW guys know all about *EVERYTHING*, too. After all, they are employees of the same company that builds continually exploding final drives and who tells warranty customers "We've never seen one break like that before...", etc.

Doesn't matter that you had trained, professional paramedics and fire/rescue personnel right there with you, on the scene... They can't possible know nearly as much as Rema/R3B and the "geniuses" at Hechlingen!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 09:43 AM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #9192
Hoosier919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
The handle bars are not fine as is for me. The angle of my wrists on the bars is just not right. I am not sure that risers are what I need or new grips or just complete new bars.
Hoosier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #9193
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Well because there still is much rumour about the weakness of the XT1200 done some video-testing so anyone can see for himself if its fast enough.

Data: XT1200Z SE 2010 Odo:22853 km
19C slight side/headwind 3 beaufort,
Tyres Conti TKC80

Touring mode TCS = 1

Sport mode TCS = 2

No Sportsmode TCS = Off because of costly tyre damage :-)

And to top it of, a reprise in 5th gear: 80-175 in Sportsmode TCS = 2

Its a real slug
Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #9194
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
They can't possible know nearly as much as Rema/R3B and the "geniuses" at Hechlingen!!!

Dallara

~
You still have feelings for him don't you?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #9195
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Got a whole 286 miles on the Tenere. Still seems heavier than my 06' GS,but not a lot. Works great on gravel,surprisingly so for what feels like a big bike. Will try the nasty mountain steeps after the 600 mile service. Too early to say if it has that tractor like low-end torgue the GS had. Seat goes on & off EASY,unlike the beemer. I expect & hope for japanese reliability ,not German. I replaced every stock windshield on every jap bike I ever had. Will probably get the California Scientific shield for the Tenere. Way too much noise & buffet on the stock shield,for me anyway. Had a good local metal guy make brackets to keep saddlebags out of wheel & mufler. Bought "Firstgear" bags(biggest soft bags I could find). $205 (US) total cost for whole thing. Works great. Nice bike too. Looking for a big tank bag that'll fit. It does seem I have to move my hands to the far end of grips to feel as wide as the GS felt,but the Tenere seems fine in real slow speed turns.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote