ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #13171
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,073

Picked it up yesterday from Team Powersports in Garner, NC. Great experience overall. Upgrading from a farkled DRZ400S. I love this bike. It's the balance of street bike and dirt bike that I was looking for. I felt the 800cc offerings were to small for passenger and luggage but the 1200cc bikes carried a heavy price tag with a lot of features I didn't want. Yamaha nailed it.

Going back next weekend to get the factory side cases installed.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #13172
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
It's the balance of street bike and dirt bike that I was looking for. I felt the 800cc offerings were to small for passenger and luggage but the 1200cc bikes carried a heavy price tag with a lot of features I didn't want. Yamaha nailed it.
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #13173
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
I sold my 950SE too, back in November, after 5 years and 25,000 miles. I had a much better experience than you did, but I don't miss it (yet). It never let me down, but the routine maintenance was frequent and time-consuming, although not really difficult. I don't have "riding time", I have "me time". If I'm wrenching, I'm not riding. I won't go there again. Any bike I own from here on out will have maintenance requirements that are less demanding.

Another thing about the LC8 I don't miss is the fact that the riding experience is pure adrenaline: there is no element of relaxation in the riding experience. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I test rode a S10 some months back, and liked it immediately. It didn't take long for it to "click". It made the short list, along with the Stelvio. I won't spring for a Super Ten until I've ridden a Stelvio. Neither of these bikes will require as much down time as the KTM.
Hey Stobie,

Don't know if you remember me. Few years back I think I sent you my bent 950SM front rim. (I bought new replacement)
Anyways, so your SE is gone?

Well 25,000 miles is pretty impressive on an SE! So no judgement here. But there might never be another bike like that one.

Hey, go get that S10. Especially if you are "gettin old".

Cheers
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #13174
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Yamaha very quickly realized that the black plate was too weak and they changed it as a recall for all Euro/UK bikes in about Sept/Oct 2010.

The change between the two was dramatic and the ones supplied on all (assumption) bike since, including the USA ones are very substantial.
As the end of the day, it is a plastic box on a plastic mount.

Thanks for sharing, OGR.

Well, I needed something to throw my (work) backpack in. So...what the hell...I went-ahead and ordered one.

My dealer wanted $381 for it (I believe retail is $369.) And, on top of that I woulda' had to have paid 8.5% sales tax.

But, with a little internet research, I found it for $258.97, $19.66 shipping, and no sales tax. So, I'm not complaining.

We'll see how it does...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #13175
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post

Picked it up yesterday from Team Powersports in Garner, NC. Great experience overall. Upgrading from a farkled DRZ400S. I love this bike. It's the balance of street bike and dirt bike that I was looking for. I felt the 800cc offerings were to small for passenger and luggage but the 1200cc bikes carried a heavy price tag with a lot of features I didn't want. Yamaha nailed it.

Going back next weekend to get the factory side cases installed.
Not wanting to usurp you, but have you researched the problems with the factory cases. They are one of the three flaws with the bike (the others being the screen and the accessory bash plate).

These boxes are OK for general use but do not stand up well to crashes as the plastic top fixing brakes easily due to no fixing at the lower rear corners. Also, the locks have to be treated with a lot of care and frequently lubed to stop breaking the key off in the lock - disastrous if you are away from home. On top of that the aluminium (English spelling ) covers are thin and will dent even if you drop a spanner/wrench on them.

There are better options on the cases but generally, they do not look as good as the Yamaha ones.

Congrats on buying a great bike though
Old 08-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #13176
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Not wanting to usurp you, but have you researched the problems with the factory cases. They are one of the three flaws with the bike (the others being the screen and the accessory bash plate).

These boxes are OK for general use but do not stand up well to crashes as the plastic top fixing brakes easily due to no fixing at the lower rear corners. Also, the locks have to be treated with a lot of care and frequently lubed to stop breaking the key off in the lock - disastrous if you are away from home. On top of that the aluminium (English spelling ) covers are thin and will dent even if you drop a spanner/wrench on them.

There are better options on the cases but generally, they do not look as good as the Yamaha ones.

I Concur. I just picked up a used set (sides & top box) for $600 in good condition but I can see all sorts of problems coming with them. Got 'em all mounted up and although they look good, the capacity is limited & the quality is weak. I wonder if anyone is working on a "fix" for these?

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #13177
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,948
Cool2 Yamaha side cases...

~

Wow!

I guess I better go tell my Yamaha side cases they aren't worth a sh*t...

I've had mine mounted up on my S-10 almost since day one, and over 20,400 miles, and they live on the bike (unless they come off to go in someplace I'm staying overnight), both on-road and off-road, and not one single problem.

Of course, I installed them myself, and paid close attention to the instructions as well as loctiting the lock mounting screws. The locks are no problem whatsoever once you get the hang of them, and get much easier to operate once you have a few miles on them. I have lubed them a couple of times in the past year with a carefully crafted mix of a plastic-safe lube mixed with both some teflon and graphite lock lubes, but other than that no maintenance on them of any kind.

I have also dropped all sorts of things on them - some quite heavy - and no dings or damage from that. I do have one BB-sized ding in the front of one, but from examining the strike it was no doubt made by something like a rock at pretty high-speed... In other words, it would have dinged just about any other alloy-skinned case.

Finish has held up wonderfully in all those miles, and they are rarely, if ever, empty. Some tools, a plug kit, a BestRest CyclePump compressor, some things like duct tape, cable ties, safety wire, etc., some Roc-Straps, spare glasses, spare gloves, shield cleaning items, etc., etc., etc. all *LIVE* in the left-side case, and on any of daily work trips at least a small cooler with drinks, etc. live in the right along with maps, area atlases (I have to *find* a lot of places in my travels), rain suit, etc. On trips they are loaded to the gunnels with gear...

Which leads to capacity... IMHO, if you are carrying more than these side cases and some soft gear on the rack, etc. can carry then I can't imagine it. I've done extended trips out of these cases (and I *HAVE* to carry a couple of a bit bulky medical items) and never felt I needed anything larger - or more sturdy.

Last but not least... I haven't really *CRASHED* my S-10. I really try *NOT* to crash! I have, however, laid it over on the left-side case *TWICE*, and the damage was so minor that even with the worst one it required only minor cleaning up of the plastic lower edging with some sandpaper and polish. Oh, and on that one I had to bend the lower *METAL* mounting bracket back out a bit... That's right - *NO* damage to the bag or upper mount, but the case was strong enough to bend the big, heavy, tough steel lower bracket that Yamaha designed.

I've read a couple of the reports of busted Yamaha side cases, but honestly I think any brand of cases might not have survived those episodes.

Just my two centavos... YM, of course, MV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 10:12 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #13178
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Well that gives me some comfort. I, like you put thread lock on the screws for the locks as well as all the mounting hardware. The metal seems very thin on these cases & the plastic hinge stops just seem like a problem waiting to happen. I will give Yamaha credit on the liners though; very sweet. I was considering TT, Jesses & Happy Trails but for $600 I counldn't pass these up.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #13179
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Give 'em a chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Well that gives me some comfort. I, like you put thread lock on the screws for the locks as well as all the mounting hardware. The metal seems very thin on these cases & the plastic hinge stops just seem like a problem waiting to happen. I will give Yamaha credit on the liners though; very sweet. I was considering TT, Jesses & Happy Trails but for $600 I counldn't pass these up.

Use 'em. Enjoy 'em. Wear 'em out if that's what happens...

As with so many things like this, so often the folks who say something doesn't *work* are those who have never actually tried them.

Like some magazines, etc. saying the Super Ténéré isn't any good off-road when they didn't actually take their test one off the pavement... Or others saying that the bike's ABS won't work off-road, etc.

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #13180
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Use 'em. Enjoy 'em. Wear 'em out if that's what happens...

As with so many things like this, so often the folks who say something doesn't *work* are those who have never actually tried them.

Like some magazines, etc. saying the Super Ténéré isn't any good off-road when they didn't actually take their test one off the pavement... Or others saying that the bike's ABS won't work off-road, etc.

Dallara

~
The whole bike has been curbed judged since it was released by those who have not ridden it.

I've got the factory side bags and it has been flopped both sides several times () without a problem.

Wfopete is right abouth the decorative alloy panels. They are thin and really just cosmetic. Can be removed
to paint or straighten if needed.

I had my bags loaded and auxililary bags on top of them with 3 gallons of gas through the washboards of
Baja. So far I've been impressed with their durability.

But really, what do I know? I've only actually got to use and abuse them. I'd much rather take the advice
of the keyboard crowd who always seem to have complete knowledge of every bike, model and accessory
available.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #13181
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The whole bike has been curbed judged since it was released by those who have not ridden it...

It also doesn't help when the reviews, in the rags, read like this...

"The bike is great. It does everything so well...

...but it sucks."

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #13182
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

...but it sucks."

Exactly, I think you've nailed it!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #13183
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Wicked More "on the case"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post

The plastic "hinge stops" on mine have been tested literally daily for almost a year now, and no sign of failure or problem.

Jesses are bigger (and heavier) and have more capacity but are just as narrow as the Yamaha ones, but they cost a fortune. IMHO, they also don't come on and off as easily, and when they're off their brackets are kind of fugly...

Almost all the others are wider, bulkier, and look like a real afterthought to me. Gotta' admit I looked hard at the Happy Trials, Caribous, and Jesses before going with the Yamaha cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The whole bike has been curbed judged since it was released by those who have not ridden it.

I've got the factory side bags and it has been flopped both sides several times (
) without a problem.

Wfopete is right abouth the decorative alloy panels. They are thin and really just cosmetic. Can be removed

to paint or straighten if needed.

I had my bags loaded and auxililary bags on top of them with 3 gallons of gas through the washboards of

Baja. So far I've been impressed with their durability.

But really, what do I know? I've only actually got to use and abuse them. I'd much rather take the advice

of the keyboard crowd who always seem to have complete knowledge of every bike, model and accessory
available.

Ain't it the truth, Pluric!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

...but it sucks."

Funny, but as I've aged over the years the one constant I have begun to realize is that nearly all motorcycle magazines, publications, webzines, etc. that review bikes *SUCK* royally...

And rarely, if ever, have much truly useful content.

Dallara

~

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #13184
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Stuff about side cases!

I have to be completely honest, I didn't research side cases. They were an afterthought. I did all my bike research and was really just planning on a test ride and scoping the place out when I walked in. But even still I had what I figured was a completely unrealistic number in the back of my head and maybe just maybe...

Well I'll be damned when the salesman and I started negotiations in the same neighborhood and after we went back and forth, and my girlfriend took a nap, and he crunched numbers, and I eyeballed a V Strom in the used section, and he came back with a better number and at the end of the day he was willing to cut enough money out of the cost of the bike that I was able to tack on discounted side cases for what I thought I was going to pay for the bike in the first place.

I knew I needed side cases, that being said I was moving up from Dirt Bagz on my DRZ so any case would be a noted improvement. This bike is seeing immediate commuter duty and I'm having to get creative just going a week without side storage. I like the look, fit, and function of the yamaha cases. Ultimately I don't care if they get dinged or scratched or scuffed. They're going to collect stickers, smashed bugs, bark, mud, and maybe a couple different scuffs of paint. I know side cases can break legs in a bad get-off so if there's a weak point in there that rips the case off on a low side before I get mangled, even better.

What really matters is that thanks to Yamaha ingenuity, cost management, and quality I now have a bike in my garage that will take me damn near where ever I want to go at a cost that wouldn't get similar bikes off the dealer's lot with gas in the tank. Yes there are compromises and I accept that if anything is so obtrusive that I can't stand it I'll mod it, the same way I did with my DRZ (the best all around dual sport on the planet according to the reviews). It's not perfect but I'm at least ahead of the power curve.

I'm noticing 2 side to the S-10 camp, to steal a couple phrases I saw floating around there's the "Rich Man's KLR" side and the "Poor Man's BMW" side. One side is all optimism and unicorns pissing rainbows because it has a real seat that holds your whole ass, an engine that can cruise said ass at highway speed, and enough doo dads and widgets to keep us amused for hours. The other side can't help but notice what the bike doesn't have, never mind that if the bike had those things it would cost as much as the bikes that do, and rightfully so. And if that's your basis for comparison than sure, the bike sucks, because I forgot what gear I'm in and it doesn't tell me or because it does 1/4 mile in 11.9 and the neighbor's bike does it in 11.5. Not that any of that matters, just an observation from a new owner.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #13185
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,825
Congrats on getting it home without putting a hole in the sump.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote