Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #13741
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01 View Post
So my questions. How heavy does the Tenere feel/handle on country roads/twisties?( I realize it's not a sport bike just trying to gauge it against the XC) How expensive has the maintenance been? Have you had any traction control intervention when riding and how does it work? If anyone has the Yamaha panniers, what is the width with the panniers on?
It feels like it belongs there on twisty roads, that it is a enduro style bike gets noticeable at corners above around 130km/h. From that speed onwards you will feel that it slightly pushes wide over the front and you will have to work a little in corner combinations. On alpine pass style roads it is simply a blast to ride and won't feel heavy.

I dont really notice the traction control as intervention as in ignition is cut or something. On tarmac it is like a light starts flashing on the dash and acceleration continues within the tires limit, it is that smooth. Even when leaned over in a fast corner on semi knobbies like the k60 it is like that. I never noticed it as negative disruption of riding.

I have no exact measurement right now but the oem panniers are narrower than the bars. And because you have asked about panniers, it handles still very well with the loaded panniers.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #13742
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
It feels like it belongs there on twisty roads,
what he said
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #13743
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thanks. I feel like I've been trying speaker systems and have tested one in a studio setting and the other on a boat zipping over the waves. Do the speakers I heard in the studio sound better? Heck yes, but is it the speakers or the setting? So, all your thoughts based on real, first-hand experience is what I need
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #13744
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Thanks. I feel like I've been trying speaker systems and have tested one in a studio setting and the other on a boat zipping over the waves. Do the speakers I heard in the studio sound better? Heck yes, but is it the speakers or the setting? So, all your thoughts based on real, first-hand experience is what I need
Say what?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #13745
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Cool2 Research...

Quote:

Well, there is the "Search" function, and simply reading the Super Ténéré threads here...

And there is always the specific Yamaha Super Ténéré owners forum, where there is tons of info about any and all of the questions you're asking... That is unless you're just lazy...

Me? I've had my Super Ténéré since August 3, 2011, and have put more than 24,000 miles on mine. It handles great "on country roads/twisties"... I come from both MX and road racing and I've embarrassed many a sport bike with my S-10. For me it handles wonderfully.

As for your other questions... Maintenance expense has been typically Yamaha - nil. The traction control works great for me, and if you want an explanation of how it works Yamaha's web site has some info... But how can you compare the S-10's traction control to the Triumph's when Triumph doesn't offer traction control on their 800's?

Oh, and 34.75"...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #13746
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,053
Was out for my first real ride yesterday on my new S10 down through the ranges south of here. All bitumen.

In the group was a new Tiger XC800.. in the twisties I could easily keep up and I am surprised how easy to ride the big blue bastard is!

The only limits in the twisties against the Tiger was that I am wary of police with radar and he apparently isn't!

Hence he neat me to the bottom on one leg of the trip home!

It is my belief that the S10 is a whole lot of bike for the money and the best long distance tourer around in the ADV segment.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #13747
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
I can relate to that.

So to use the speaker analogy, The S10 is sort of like the speaker that is flat and accurate, where the Tiger has some rough spots but gives it some excitement initially on a short listen. Some will love it for a long time, some will be trading it in on an S10 sooner or later.

All your music will sound better on the S10 speakers, where the Tiger speakers some will sound a lot better and some you won't listen to anymore.

It's sort of like that whether you listen to music on a boat or not.

I used to work with loudspeakers.

The other funny thing I was tossing up between the two as well, but the more I looked into the S10 the more I saw that was good design. Very few pieces were stupid or built just for the test rides.

So it was more of a considered opinion about what I did and what was most applicable, rather than going "That was nice here's my money": and finding out later that it wasn't exactly me.

The S10 has a set of compromises that evens it out over lots of terrain and conditions. You can believe the owners and you can believe that the bike will do some crazy things and keep taking abuse all day long. But it was intended as an all road all conditions bike, that makes the task of long distance travel easy and safe in many conditions.

It's up to you whether that is your thing or not.

So here are some things that YAMAHA has done.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 06:29 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #13748
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
Was out for my first real ride yesterday on my new S10 down through the ranges south of here. All bitumen.

In the group was a new Tiger XC800.. in the twisties I could easily keep up and I am surprised how easy to ride the big blue bastard is!

The only limits in the twisties against the Tiger was that I am wary of police with radar and he apparently isn't!

Hence he neat me to the bottom on one leg of the trip home!

It is my belief that the S10 is a whole lot of bike for the money and the best long distance tourer around in the ADV segment.
You are right on the money there Happy!
Welcome to the Ten 12 club!

sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #13749
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
How heavy does the Tenere feel/handle on country roads/twisties?

It doesn't.

How expensive has the maintenance been?

Depends on what kind of oil you use. Some oil is cheaper than others.

Have you had any traction control intervention when riding and how does it work?

Always. It works great.

If anyone has the Yamaha panniers, what is the width with the panniers on?

Same as the handlebar.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #13750
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Me? It handles great "on country roads/twisties"... I come from both MX and road racing and I've embarrassed many a sport bike with my S-10. For me it handles wonderfully.
Word that. Of course Dallara blew me off the road a couple weeks back riding in Arkansas. Perfect example of "it's the rider, not the ride".
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 01:34 PM
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #13751
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,053
Altrider crash bars

OK team.. who has fitted altrider crash bars to their S10?

Put your hands up.

Now keep your hands up if you can remove the right hand side cover with the bars on without damaging the paint on the cover as it rubs on the crash bars?

Anybody?

I have had to drape an old towel over the cover to protect it from the crash bars.

Am I the only one??

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #13752
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:

Put your hands up.

Now keep your hands up if you can remove the right hand side cover with the bars on without damaging the paint on the cover as it rubs on the crash bars?

Anybody?

I have had to drape an old towel over the cover to protect it from the crash bars.

Am I the only one??
I don't have the altrider bars, but only first edition owners will have the silver painted side covers.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #13753
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Fitted some short levers. E-Bay purchase, £22 (US$35) including free shipping from China. Seem to be well made and are a perfect fit.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #13754
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
I don't have the altrider bars, but only first edition owners will have the silver painted side covers.
^^^ This.

I have them on my black 2012 and they DO rub, but it's only the unpainted dull black plastic that rubs. It rubs pretty hard, but it's a non-issue on mine.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #13755
Bowana
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:

Put your hands up.

Anybody?

Am I the only one??
I have the Altrider crash bars and I have been able to remove the left and the right without damaging the covers. I remember it being tricky but I was able to do it.
Bowana is offline   Reply With Quote