Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #13981
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

........... I stand by my assessment that the mod makes the low-end throttle response more abrupt, not less. .............

- Mark
+1

I'm using this mode mostly in off road when I like some fun but the poor rear tyre suffers the consequences
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #13982
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,497
Well folks - it's been a fun 18 months with the Ten, but the time has come to move on. I scored a deal on a brand new MTS 12 and just couldn't say no.
Off to the red side...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #13983
MDMcDuff
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Well folks - it's been a fun 18 months with the Ten, but the time has come to move on. I scored a deal on a brand new MTS 12 and just couldn't say no.
Off to the red side...
As a long time duc owner, currently still have 2 albeiht '94 vintage and have had 5 others pass through my hands, You'll be back :p.
MDMcDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #13984
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Fitted the Yamaha carbon exhaust shield (if I spent all that cash on an exhaust I have to show it off!) and Yamaha LED indicators (flashers). I must say that although the Yamaha indicators seem to be good quality and came with resistors to get the flash speed right, I was a little disappointed to find that the wires weren't long enough and that I needed to extend the rear ones to reach the connectors under the seat. If Yamaha are going to sell these as a universal fitment for all of their bikes I would have thought they could measure which of their bikes needs the most wire and supply that amount.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #13985
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Fitted the Yamaha carbon exhaust shield (if I spent all that cash on an exhaust I have to show it off!) and Yamaha LED indicators (flashers). I must say that although the Yamaha indicators seem to be good quality and came with resistors to get the flash speed right, I was a little disappointed to find that the wires weren't long enough and that I needed to extend the rear ones to reach the connectors under the seat. If Yamaha are going to sell these as a universal fitment for all of their bikes I would have thought they could measure which of their bikes needs the most wire and supply that amount.

Nice!!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #13986
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Nice!!
Agreed!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #13987
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Actually, Jubby, I don't think it's something they're gonna' be able to "address"; not completely, at least.

At this point in time, all over the world, the emissions standards seem to be getting higher, and harder to reach.

On bikes with a ride-by-wire system (like the ST), the movement of your throttle hand is monitored several times per second. The human hand is not consistent enough to maintain the emissions standards at low RPMs. So, the ride by wire does the work for us; allowing these big bikes to "make the grade", so-to-speak.

What your hand is doing, and what the ride-by-wire system is communicating to the bike, are two different things. That is what gives the on/off, "light switch" feeling to the throttle.

Is there a chance that Yamaha overdid it, and can smooth it out a bit? Sure. But, as far as completely ridding the bike of it, a non-OEM (aftermarket) reflash is probably the answer (in my humble opinion). If Yamaha does smooth it out a bit, at the factory level, it would be nice for them to offer a reflash to the current owners.

Many (magazine columnists, writers, owners, test riders, etc.) have complained of this issue. Is Yamaha listening? Well, they were the only Japanese manufacturer to have the sack to build this bike in the first place...

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I was expecting a yes or no! It must not be that big of a deal though, I noticed that Cycle World has a long term Tenere that they've been testing and you actually have to schedule your time on the bike. In other words, it's very popular with the staff.

I was just drooling over the pictures of the white one ^ up there. That bike looks to purdy to get dirty!
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #13988
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Last week I went to Mambatec (BM suspension distributor) to check the BM shock and fork. As a prototype for the Super Ténéré they wanted to check them are after the hard off road use I did. They have now almost 7000km but everything was ok. I'm very happy with these suspensions and this people professionalism.

Their suspensions are custom made. Before an order, the customer has to fill out a questionnaire about the type of riding, the weight is usually carried, etc. They make my rear shock with the possibility to rise the height up to 30mm so I can change the bike geometry, improve the ground clearance or levelled the bike if I mount a 21” front wheel.

They also care to detail, they have designed a specific supports for the Super Ténéré which are perfectly integrated into the bike. I've never liked to see this high quality (and expensive) shock absorbers attached to the bike with simple steel clamps.

Since I have these suspensions the bike has changed completely, despite the weight of the bike, in jumps is almost impossible to reach the end, there are endless adjustments (high, low, compression…) and the performance in all areas is superior to everything I've tried so far. I also noticed a lot of improvement with the front springs and fork oil, much progressive that the standard.

So, highly recommended, if you want more info: http://www.mambatec.com/

This is the knob to tighten the spring if you carry passenger, luggage ....

And here is the bottle to regulate high and low. Normally that is fixed with clamps but Mambatec designed a support attached to the passenger footpegs

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #13989
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,642
I can't remember; what was the final verdict? Are the Worldcrosser pieces available separately? And, are they available in the States?

That carbon exhaust shield is pure sex...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #13990
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
That Tenere is sweet! Nicely done. I have been looking at these a lot lately.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #13991
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
For those who are married to a non motorcycle luvn wife, how were you able to justify a 14k Tenere?
Give me the secret and I will be a tenere owner.

bd
Sorry, I'm not in your category. My wife loves to ride and buys more bikes than I do. She's usually saying something like "You need a new bike, haven't you had that one long enough!" or her latest taunt "When are you going to sell that POS Honda and buy a REAL bike." meaning a Triumph. So of course I had to go buy a Tiger to keep her quiet. Just got back from a 2000 mile ride on her Street Triple and she's decided she wants more protection so now she's shopping for a sport tourer.
Quote:
Financially, the solution is easier - for every dollar I spend on bikes she gets to spend the same amount on something that gives her indivdual satisfaction - she likes furniture. If $28K can't be swung, then you need to buy a $7K bike.

- Mark

I like Mark's advice and can't see how you could go wrong.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #13992
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:

Financially, the solution is easier - for every dollar I spend on bikes she gets to spend the same amount on something that gives her indivdual satisfaction - she likes furniture. If $28K can't be swung, then you need to buy a $7K bike.

- Mark
Go give your SO a big kiss for me. In my world it's more like $8:1

I still got the bike though. Grit and determination I say. That's all you need.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #13993
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Off to the red side...
Eeeeh Gads man. You're English. What happened to the Tiger.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #13994
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,089
Yee haw I'm baaaaaaaacckkk!

....and so is my bike. Woody's wonder wheel installed, new K60s and a new touring
screen as a bonus farkel. I've missed you all as I was forced to lurk

Many thanks for not throwing me under the bus while I was unarmed and unable to respond.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #13995
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Perhaps, but if there is one thing I've learned in a 43-year-long motorcycling career is that there is little or no correlation between the amount you spend on a bike and the enjoyment you get out of it. The folks that ride 20-yo bikes that cost them $3K and they sell after five years for $2700 seem to have just as much fun as the folks buying the latest/greatest $20K sportbike or Harley every year.

Agree about the thread hijack, I'll shut up.

- Mark
Mark, your post describes my position pretty accurately. My current street ride is a '93 Suzuki GSX1100G that I bought, just to have something to ride, after selling my 950SE of 5 years. I like it a lot more than I expected to. Bang for the buck factor is off the charts. Maybe the best street engine I've ever experienced, and I don't particularly like I-4's.

After demoing a Super Tenere, I got back on my G to ride home, and within 10 minutes had decided that there is no way the S10 is $12,000 better than the old 'Zook.

But, I'm still here, keeping track of you guys. The S10 is on a very short list of bikes that interest me at all, and the tipping point will probably be brought on by yet another session of cleaning crap-fuel-induced gunk out of the carbs.

Apologies for re-starting the hijack.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote