Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #14266
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
How else would I have known about the crash edit?

Watching that section of the video is exactly how I feel in sand. All over the place
and then it's rest time.

You can't see it in the photo, but there is a grown man crying in his helmet here.

And time out.

where are those photos taken?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #14267
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
where are those photos taken?
Eagle Canyon, Southern Utah.

Pretty area.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #14268
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,895
Eagle canyon is nice. Rode all the way to Richfield on the TAT a few years back.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #14269
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Next march I'm going to have a 10 days trip in Morocco. I would like if the ST is better than the GSA in sand.
In my last trip with the BMW I suffered a lot, it’s horrible in sand… but what an incredible experience!!!

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #14270
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Next march I'm going to have a 10 days trip in Morocco. I would like if the ST is better than the GSA in sand.
I'm trying to decide between the two, which do you consider a better road bike in terms of handling, power and brakes?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #14271
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm trying to decide between the two, which do you consider a better road bike in terms of handling, power and brakes?
with the clutch mod or ECU map, power is about the same - brakes and handling on the S10 is better in my opinion
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #14272
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Handling: I’m an awful road rider so the GS with the paralever suspension was easier handling to me, but probably road experience people could be more confident with the ST conventional forks. Both are good. Riding the ST in town is much easier than the GS.
Power: I had the 98HP GSA but I think the latest versions where more powerful. Compared with mine I prefer the ST in Sport mode.
Brakes: both are good but the ST ABS is better

You don’t ask me about riding them off road. The ST is MUCH better than the GS/GSA
Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #14273
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,740
St/gsa

The GSA is a slug compared to the S10 and the standard GS. The GS and S10 are more comparable.
S10 is 50lbs heavier than the standard GS but suspension, handling, brakes, TC, and reliability are better on the S10. Much nicer motor on the S10 too.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #14274
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
In my last trip with the BMW I suffered a lot, it’s horrible in sand… but what an incredible experience!!!
when riding sand like that put your front tire pressure as low as you dare. like 15. 10-12 is better. rear not so low. I live in the pine barrens and have to tell visitors repeatedly. usually by lunch time they are tired of falling and are willing to try anything, so they lower the pressure. they response is always identical... "I cant believe the difference" and "Its like it is a different bike" ... also important is keping torque on the back wheel. you dont have to be flying but if you dont keep the back wheel pushing the front will dig in. Always stop on a hard spot. starting foward motion on deep loose sand is almost impossible.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #14275
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Take the 400. I'd rather go to the dentist without novacaine than ride a Beast in sand.
10 days??? Just shoot me.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #14276
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
when riding sand like that put your front tire pressure as low as you dare. like 15. 10-12 is better. rear not so low. I live in the pine barrens and have to tell visitors repeatedly. usually by lunch time they are tired of falling and are willing to try anything, so they lower the pressure. they response is always identical... "I cant believe the difference" and "Its like it is a different bike" ... also important is keping torque on the back wheel. you dont have to be flying but if you dont keep the back wheel pushing the front will dig in. Always stop on a hard spot. starting foward motion on deep loose sand is almost impossible.
Agree....
The problem in Morocco is that after a sand section you can find a rocky one with lots of possibilities to have a puncture… and with the GSA and its awful front suspension is even worse, I had 5 punctures in 10 days!!!.

I did another trip with my DRZ and mousse instead of tube… that was fantastic. Full gas all over the places!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Take the 400. I'd rather go to the dentist without novacaine than ride a Beast in sand.
10 days??? Just shoot me.
I know... with the 400 I had good fun in the dunes!!!
This time we are going to do more than 3000km off road and lot of them in the Atlas mountains witch are very rocky…. so less sand and 4 BMW GSA with us to make us reduce the speed

jaumev screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 07:50 AM
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #14277
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:

I know... with the 400 I had good fun in the dunes!!!
This time we are going to do more than 3000km off road and lot of them in the Atlas mountains witch are very rocky…. so less sand and 4 BMW GSA with us to make us reduce the speed
Aww, they're not that bad, maybe a little slower.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #14278
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
I know... with the 400 I had good fun in the dunes!!! This time we are going to do more than 3000km off road and lot of them in the Atlas mountains witch are very rocky…. so less sand and 4 BMW GSA with us to make us reduce the speed
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #14279
giulianim3
n00b

Oddometer: 1
nuovo super tenere 1200 diapason recing by tosco

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

parasteli, cupolino, scarico,sella,pedane passeggero,posteriore tutto modificato,piastra manubrio,e un favoloso serbatoio aggiuntivo sotto la sella (10lt) tutto questo fatto da andrea toscani (detto tosco ) presso motoshop parma italia
giulianim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #14280
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
What is with the Germans, then the Brits, and now the Italians with the welded-on passenger peg brackets???

As photos from multiple thread have shown, the DON'T offer protection in a crash. The add leverage to bend the rear subframe! Unless you are tying panniers to them, they are just in the way! (without a passenger, of course).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote