Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #14281
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm trying to decide between the two, which do you consider a better road bike in terms of handling, power and brakes?
One thing to consider with these beasts on soft surfaces is the clutch. The BMW has a single plate dry clutch, and many BMW clutches have suffered greatly (and failed) when ridden on this type of terrain. I believe BMW have corrected this on the '13 and have opted for a wet clutch, but it is something to consider on the previous models. The S10 suffers no such limitation.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #14282
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
What is with the Germans, then the Brits, and now the Italians with the welded-on passenger peg brackets???

As photos from multiple thread have shown, the DON'T offer protection in a crash. The add leverage to bend the rear subframe! Unless you are tying panniers to them, they are just in the way! (without a passenger, of course).
This is a 10 litres tank under the seat made from Diapason Racing, a italian Yamaha dealer. I think is a good idea.
The pegs are not welded.

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #14283
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
What is with the Germans, then the Brits, and now the Italians with the welded-on passenger peg brackets???

As photos from multiple thread have shown, the DON'T offer protection in a crash. The add leverage to bend the rear subframe! Unless you are tying panniers to them, they are just in the way! (without a passenger, of course).
In short, they make it easier to keep the passenger on the back of the bike. It kinda goes well with the passenger seat.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #14284
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Sorry, my eyes must be getting old. My prejudice ran away from me when I mistook that first photo. Apologies all around.

Also, after an accident in college when my girl friend was almost seriously injured on the back of my bike, I choose not to ride two-up any more. It also saves room for more luggage, closer forward and not overloading the rear rack.

I like that 10-liter fuel idea. There is another thread here on ADVRider about fuel cells for the S-10, holding as much as an additional 5 gallons. I'm staying tuned for more information all around.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #14285
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
clutch lever bolt turning on perch

While I was tightening the steering stem an top triple, I noticed that when you pull the lever clutch the bolt turns on the perch. I wonder if that that is correct to happen.
I consider that the bolt should not turn because that movement will be grinding the perch material and the lower hand-saver fixing point. The brake lever bolt does not move at all.

Have you noticed that??? I am concern that in the long term that bolt movement would harm the perch. I was trying to -unscrew it but it seems to get tighter as if it had left-handed threads.
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #14286
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
I am concern that in the long term that bolt movement would harm the perch. I was trying to -unscrew it but it seems to get tighter as if it had left-handed threads.
The bolt should be fixed as the clutch lever pivots on it. There's a lock nut on the bottom side that may be the reason you're having trouble unscrewing the bolt. You want to first tighten the bolt, then hold the bolt as you tighten the locknut.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #14287
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
This is a 10 litres tank under the seat made from Diapason Racing, a italian Yamaha dealer. I think is a good idea.
Any idea how the fuel transfers?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #14288
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
Thanks for the feedback.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #14289
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I found the heat grips on my GS to be great. I use then all the time.
Yamaha wants $400 for heat grips on the Tenere. The grips have a dial control instead of a three position switch on my GS. This switch is easy for me to use while I ride and I have been happy with it.
How is this option working for you?

Are you happy with Yamaha’s saddle bags? They look cheap in the pictures I’ve seen but the cost is a $1,000 with the mounts.
Are the bags easy to remove once on?

Yamaha doesn’t recommend a top box with the bags. I wonder about that. I carry a lot of stuff on the back of my bike when I am traveling.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #14290
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Yamaha doesn’t recommend a top box with the bags. I wonder about that. I carry a lot of stuff on the back of my bike when I am traveling.
YAMAHA says lots of things to keep them away from the courts. Not an issue really. Just load it up and go.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #14291
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Cool2 The Princess and the Pea...

Quote:
Yamaha wants $400 for heat grips on the Tenere. The grips have a dial control instead of a three position switch on my GS. This switch is easy for me to use while I ride and I have been happy with it.

And how much more expensive is the Beemer G/S than the Super Ténéré?

And if the cost of the Yamaha heated grips is such an issue there are plenty of other alternatives.

Quote:
Are you happy with Yamaha’s saddle bags? They look cheap in the pictures I’ve seen but the cost is a $1,000 with the mounts.

I love my Yamaha bags on my Super Ténéré, and they have performed flawlessly for over 24,500 miles. And they come on and off almost instantly... Just a couple of seconds.

Oh, and they're made by exactly the same company that builds those even more expensive BMW G/S side cases!

Quote:

Well, once again, I've traveled all over the country in the past year and couple of months on my S-10, and have carried lots of stuff on the back, both on the stock Yamaha rack and the AltRider rack I have now... All without issue. Granted, I don't use a top box, but I do use heavily laden soft bags back there. No problems whatsoever. No material issues. No damages. Nothing.

Of course, there is one truly great thing about the Super Ténéré compared to a G/S...

It's a Yamaha. That means you never have to worry about final drive issues, frequent valve clearance checks, poor quality fuel line clamps, finicky throttle body adjustment, moronic CAN-BUS fiascoes, sensitive dry-clutch shenanigans, outrageously high parts prices, even more insanely high initial bike purchase price (i.e. Roundel Tax), etc., etc., etc.

You can certainly hunt and find all sorts of reasons to not like any bike if you try hard enough... Goodness knows I found plenty of those for not buying a BMW.

But then again, I owned a couple of BMW's before I started trying to find reasons not to own another one!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 06:38 AM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #14292
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Any idea how the fuel transfers?
No. They will present the bike in the EICMA show in Milano:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7742187&type=3
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #14293
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
YAMAHA says lots of things to keep them away from the courts. Not an issue really. Just load it up and go.

Does anyone know what type (and where from) those throw over tank bags are ??
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #14294
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:

There are multiple options for bags, that just happen to include what Yamaha offers. For a month-long ride, below are the heavy duty welded aluminum MuffinTops for $400, mounted on SW-Motech racks, plus a 52L Givi topbox.

As for top boxes and weight, like Graham showed, the bike is a mule. Many of us are running heavy and the bike had no problem pushing this set-up to more than 115 mph (gps) on an open desert road.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #14295
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Many of us are running heavy and the bike had no problem pushing this set-up to more than 115 mph (gps) on an open desert road.
Dunno.... I just dont get it??????

65>70mph is fine for me = I sort of like taking in where I am while getting to where I am going. It's all about the WHOLE journey for me. Not just having been there!!!

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote