ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #14611
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
My Super Tenere seat is a real pain in the bum after a while. I had an air hawk on my last bike.... but it is too long for the S10.

Anybody else have comfort issues with the seat.... and how did you overcome them?
Not too happy with the seat either, especially super slabbing when there's nothing to keep my mind off of it. Tried a sheepskin cover, slight improvement but not enough. Might try Sargent when I have the bucks.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #14612
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by omroizo View Post
Thank Pluric. Here in Cyprus you must have pass any kind of English exams (GSE or TOEFEL) to say that i can speak English. The English that i know i have learn them mostly from TV and PC gaming.

Now for the oil filter relocation kit i think it a good mod because you can save time from removing the bash plate to have access to the oil filter. Does it need to be positioned again in horizontal or it doesn't matter if you install it in vertical position???
Today I was looking to move the oil filter... it's not easy, heavier, more lines... more possible troubles… I'm not sure about it.
A much easier option could be replace the OEM filter for a shorter one. Just 10 mm could make a big difference.
Do you know if this is possible?, does the engine can be damaged?
Thanks!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #14613
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
My Super Tenere seat is a real pain in the bum after a while. I had an air hawk on my last bike.... but it is too long for the S10.

Anybody else have comfort issues with the seat.... and how did you overcome them?

I have found the Tenere stock seat to be more comfortable than the stock seat on any of the bikes I've owned so far. After about 60K miles, I switched to a Sargent. The Sargent is firmer, dished, and somewhat wider. I put 900 miles on the Sargent between Friday and Saturday, stopping only for gas. With the stock seat in the same riding temperatures, I would have been squirming after the 3rd fill-up. I felt totally fine with the Sargent. I'm planning on doing a little bit more long distance testing over a wider temperature range in the next few weeks and will post results afterwards.

Chris
sail2xxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #14614
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Not too happy with the seat either, especially super slabbing when there's nothing to keep my mind off of it. Tried a sheepskin cover, slight improvement but not enough. Might try Sargent when I have the bucks.

Thought about beads?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #14615
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,433
I plan on adding a heating element or buying a heated seat at some point so probably won't try beads.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #14616
MooMoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:

You could try Seat Concepts.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...59&id=15531733
MooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #14617
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Before spend a lot of money in a new seat you could try to modify the OEM.
I asked an artisan to do it.
He rounded the sides and lowered it in the middle, so the front it’s higher than before to avoid slip forward. Now my weight is distribute in the whole surface and is much comfortable.
He put a non slippery material on top that also helps. I love it!

Price: 70€

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #14618
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
All of the aftermarket seat makers have offerings, and then there is the one that sells the cover and differently shaped foam. Google this:

site:yamahasupertenere.com seats
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #14619
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Today I was looking to move the oil filter... it's not easy, heavier, more lines... more possible troubles… I'm not sure about it.
A much easier option could be replace the OEM filter for a shorter one. Just 10 mm could make a big difference.
Do you know if this is possible?, does the engine can be damaged?
Thanks!
As I wrote in your other post, you can get away with a slightly shorter filter IF you keep the oil clean. If you go too short with the filter &/or are not really good about the cleanliness of the oil, you can reduce the flow of oil enough to cause damage.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #14620
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
As I wrote in your other post, you can get away with a slightly shorter filter IF you keep the oil clean. If you go too short with the filter &/or are not really good about the cleanliness of the oil, you can reduce the flow of oil enough to cause damage.
I was looking this in the dealer. What I don’t understand is why other bikes can run with a shorter filter without damage.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #14621
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

My dad sold these Frantz oil filters in the 70's. It's a roll of toilet paper for the filter.
The local BMW dealer sold them as well. He had one mounted on his old boxer. If oil
can be shoved through one of these I think Jaumev will be fine with 10mm less length
in a filter case. The Frantz ran into hard times when space became so limited to mount
them anywhere in modern cars. Also as my dad would say "Dem dirty sons' a bitches
made the center hole bigger to save paper". He was quite a charactor.

Actually was an amazing filter system that you could diagnose engine issues with what was
on top of the filter when you changed it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #14622
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I was looking this in the dealer. What I don’t understand is why other bikes can run with a shorter filter without damage.
Similar size displacement bikes can have a fair difference in filter sizes.
Some small bores have almost as much filter area as a large bore.

Some like it a little larger....

I've been on extended rides where I could not get a new filter. Just changed the oil
and rode on. In theory if there where any particles they should still stay on the
filter side of things. I can't even imagine what it would take to plug a filter between
changes. If your bike could do that you have bigger problems than a 10mm shorter
filter.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #14623
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Similar size displacement bikes can have a fair difference in filter sizes.
Some small bores have almost as much filter area as a large bore.

Some like it a little larger....

I've been on extended rides where I could not get a new filter. Just changed the oil
and rode on. In theory if there where any particles they should still stay on the
filter side of things. I can't even imagine what it would take to plug a filter between
changes. If your bike could do that you have bigger problems than a 10mm shorter
filter.
That's what i think....

But I like the toilet paper thing... it could be very useful if I if I have stomach problems
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #14624
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
That's what i think....

But I like the toilet paper thing... it could be very useful if I if I have stomach problems
As a kid he hung a used oil soaked roll in the bathroom as 'Filter Humor'.

Ain't no one funnier than a guy who sells toilet paper oil filters.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #14625
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,996
Laugh Just remember...

Quote:
That's what i think....

Seems to me that the guys who own (and like) black ones would need more toilet paper... Lots more clean up to do, larger exhaust ports, more use there, and so on...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote