Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #14641
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Today I was looking to move the oil filter... it's not easy, heavier, more lines... more possible troubles… I'm not sure about it.
A much easier option could be replace the OEM filter for a shorter one. Just 10 mm could make a big difference.
Do you know if this is possible?, does the engine can be damaged?
Thanks!
As I wrote in your other post, you can get away with a slightly shorter filter IF you keep the oil clean. If you go too short with the filter &/or are not really good about the cleanliness of the oil, you can reduce the flow of oil enough to cause damage.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #14642
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
As I wrote in your other post, you can get away with a slightly shorter filter IF you keep the oil clean. If you go too short with the filter &/or are not really good about the cleanliness of the oil, you can reduce the flow of oil enough to cause damage.
I was looking this in the dealer. What I don’t understand is why other bikes can run with a shorter filter without damage.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #14643
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

My dad sold these Frantz oil filters in the 70's. It's a roll of toilet paper for the filter.
The local BMW dealer sold them as well. He had one mounted on his old boxer. If oil
can be shoved through one of these I think Jaumev will be fine with 10mm less length
in a filter case. The Frantz ran into hard times when space became so limited to mount
them anywhere in modern cars. Also as my dad would say "Dem dirty sons' a bitches
made the center hole bigger to save paper". He was quite a charactor.

Actually was an amazing filter system that you could diagnose engine issues with what was
on top of the filter when you changed it.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #14644
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I was looking this in the dealer. What I don’t understand is why other bikes can run with a shorter filter without damage.
Similar size displacement bikes can have a fair difference in filter sizes.
Some small bores have almost as much filter area as a large bore.

Some like it a little larger....

I've been on extended rides where I could not get a new filter. Just changed the oil
and rode on. In theory if there where any particles they should still stay on the
filter side of things. I can't even imagine what it would take to plug a filter between
changes. If your bike could do that you have bigger problems than a 10mm shorter
filter.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #14645
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Similar size displacement bikes can have a fair difference in filter sizes.
Some small bores have almost as much filter area as a large bore.

Some like it a little larger....

I've been on extended rides where I could not get a new filter. Just changed the oil
and rode on. In theory if there where any particles they should still stay on the
filter side of things. I can't even imagine what it would take to plug a filter between
changes. If your bike could do that you have bigger problems than a 10mm shorter
filter.
That's what i think....

But I like the toilet paper thing... it could be very useful if I if I have stomach problems
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #14646
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
That's what i think....

But I like the toilet paper thing... it could be very useful if I if I have stomach problems
As a kid he hung a used oil soaked roll in the bathroom as 'Filter Humor'.

Ain't no one funnier than a guy who sells toilet paper oil filters.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #14647
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,824
Laugh Just remember...

Quote:
That's what i think....

Seems to me that the guys who own (and like) black ones would need more toilet paper... Lots more clean up to do, larger exhaust ports, more use there, and so on...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #14648
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Seems to me that the guys who own (and like) black ones would need more toilet paper... Lots more clean up to do, larger exhaust ports, more use there, and so on...

Dallara~
Bait stinks.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #14649
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
I plugged my compressor and it immediately blew the fuse. It has a 3A fuse, what a shame!!!
I have a couple of questions for you:

Can I change the 3A fuse for a 10A fuse without harming the system??
Can i just connect the air compressor directly to the battery with two alligator clips?? Will this cause any problem to the battery or the system in general??

Thanks
I added a Battery Tender SAE plug to the battery exiting on the R side frame. Can be used for a pump/heated gear or for the Battery Tender.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #14650
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Night riding, blind turns

Overall there is not much to complain about on this bike. The one thing I do not like though is riding at night....when banked over the headlights do not light up to the sides very much at all, which makes for some pretty hairy moments on my commute home which includes a lot of twisty roads with elevation change. Is there a way to adjust them outwards a little bit so they will cover a wider swath?

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #14651
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

Dallara

~
You do realize no one in the history of man will have had to eat more crow than
you if you ever buy a black bike, right?

Even a Texas sized closet will not be able to contain you.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #14652
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Overall there is not much to complain about on this bike. The one thing I do not like though is riding at night....when banked over the headlights do not light up to the sides very much at all, which makes for some pretty hairy moments on my commute home which includes a lot of twisty roads with elevation change. Is there a way to adjust them outwards a little bit so they will cover a wider swath?
I'm really happy with this set up. Brighter and wider. Fits the bike perfect. Post #2758 on

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...92384&page=184
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #14653
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
I'm really happy with this set up. Brighter and wider. Fits the bike perfect. Post #2758 on

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...92384&page=184
Thanks - I'll check it out.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #14654
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Perhaps, but none too likely...

Quote:
You do realize no one in the history of man will have had to eat more crow than
you if you ever buy a black bike, right?

Even a Texas sized closet will not be able to contain you.

Spoken by the man who started the "Broke Black Tenere" pile-on...

But you're exactly right, Pluric! That said, the chances of me owning a black motorcycle are fairly remote. In over 40 years of ridin' the damn things (owning dozens and dozens, maybe over 100+ bikes personally in that time) I think I've only owned two that were black... And that's only because that was the only color I could get 'em in!

I'm just not a *black* kind'a guy. Hell, I've only had two black cars in all that time. One of those was a demo that was assigned to me, and the other - again - was one I could only get in black at the time (Jeep SRT-8) due to limited availability.

But if it happens I guess I'll just have to say the color is really ebony, or charcoal... something like that, eh?

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #14655
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Service manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
...Is there a way to adjust them outwards a little bit so they will cover a wider swath?

Yes, there is...

Just check out the service manual. I think it's even in the owners manual, too. Just look for headlight adjustment. There's some adjustment bolts (I think they have 8mm bolt heads with phillips-head screwdriver slots, too) back in there near the caps to replace the headlamp bulbs, and two are used to adjust the headlight aim up-and-down, while two more are used to aim them left-and-right.

You could definitely use them to point the lights outward on each side, as the adjustment range is pretty broad.

Hope this helps!

Dallara

~