ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #14746
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Finally picked mine up a few days ago, started bolting on all the accessories I've been hoarding over the last few months..

Congrats on the new ride!! I really like mine... by the way... the way you were saying the name of the bike on the video, I believe is incorrect... it's not "ten-er-er" it's "Tay-nay-ray"... sorry if that's being nit pickin'...
no matter!... enjoy the ride!!
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #14747
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,077
Talking Pronunciation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
Congrats on the new ride!! I really like mine... by the way... the way you were saying the name of the bike on the video, I believe is incorrect... it's not "ten-er-er" it's "Tay-nay-ray"... sorry if that's being nit pickin'...
no matter!... enjoy the ride!!

And just in case you wanted to hear it pronounced...

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit

http://www.forvo.com/word/tenere/

http://www.forvo.com/word/t%C3%A9n%C3%A9r%C3%A9/

And in case you were wondering where the name came from...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A9n%C3%A9r%C3%A9

And if you would like to read an interesting, though certainly tragic, yet somehow humorous story relevant to the word...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbre_d...n%C3%A9r%C3%A9

Just how in the deserts of hell do you hit the *ONLY* tree within 250 miles?

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #14748
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Alright! I'll throw some stuff at you... I don't know how exact that map is, so this may all already be known to you.

Leaving this area, you must (requirement) ride Bear Tooth Pass from Red Lodge Montana into Yellowstone National Park. Awesome ride.
Anytime you can ride to over 10,000' it's

Once you're in Yellowstone there is much to see. Be prepared for big crowds and lots of RV's. If you have the extra two days, ride south in Yellowstone to visit Grand Teton National Park. Worth it.

Heading back north... Glacier National Park is pretty great. Ride the Going To The Sun road. You'll instantly forget about the line of tourist traffic you're riding in. The road/view is that great.
Doesn't do the "Going to the Sun Road" scenery justice but all I've got...

Now you've got some time to relax; a couple hundred miles of average riding. Use this time wisely... stretch those face muscles... do some neck rolls... get mentally prepared... because you're about to enter the Canadian Rockies, and the Ice-fields Parkway is about as close as you can get to motorboating the supermodel that is mother nature. Mind = Blown.

Bow Glacier and Lake

A little tip, fill up your tank prior to entering the park... gas within the area is damn-near double in price.
Hey, Ray's from the UK gas will still look cheap to him.

Enjoy!
Looks like a great trip. If you end up coming through the Okanagan, BC we have a place to stay, shop to work on the bike if needed and a tire changer and some of the best riding in Canada. Have fun, will be following your blog once you're under way.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #14749
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 981
MifeF5000 posted an amazingly accurate ride of a lifetime around the states. I've done most of it. All be it some of it was in "Darlene", our 1972 Volkswagon camper. (With the kids)

Bross simply added the graphic proof of much of it.

Thanks guys. Great memories.

Bear tooth pass being one of my favorites.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #14750
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Ok, I'll add a couple of my pictures from the suggested sections:

Beartooth Pass (Middle of August)

Yellowstone National Park

Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park

Ice-Fields Parkway in Banff National Park

The Alaska Highway in BC
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #14751
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 742
Just did the clutch mod....
WOW what a difference!!! No more hesitation/stumble at take off and a way more responsive throttle.. Very happy, bike is brand new with 150 miles and this just made it even better!!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #14752
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Just did the clutch mod....
WOW what a difference!!! No more hesitation/stumble at take off and a way more responsive throttle.. Very happy, bike is brand new with 150 miles and this just made it even better!!
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400 reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #14753
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400y jetted. reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
I had the reflash before the clutch mod. Across the whole rpm range it smooths out flat spots
and made the bike feel perfectly jetted. I would do the reflash again.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #14754
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400 reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
Like Pluric I had the reflash done and it made the bike run properly in all phases. I would have it done again only sooner than later.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #14755
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,150
Another re-flash fan here. Glad I had it done.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #14756
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Plus one more fan of the flash. It really changed my bike for the better.
It is much smoother through the power band.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #14757
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,850
Just got my ECU back today from AF1 today. I had previously been running the clutch switch mod. Got the ECU flashed for regular gas since we can get non-ethanol regular around here.

The bike is much smoother. It just runs like a well sorted bike should. No dips, blips, surges etc...

The clutch switch mod was pretty good in my opinion, but I started not liking it in slow speed off-road situations, it was just too abrupt at low rpm's.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #14758
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,077
Question Where'd you say your re-flash was done?

Quote:

Well, for one... I didn't pay that much for my ECUunleashed re-flash...

But more importantly, I greatly prefer the re-flash over the clutch-switch mod, and I don't run the clutch-switch mod on my bike. In fact, it's a toss-up in my mind whether my ECUunleashed re-flash or the Stoltec-Penske rear shock/Stoltec-revalved/re-sprung forks are the best money I've spent on my Super Tenere...

I'd gladly spend the money on those mods again, no problem.

Also, I guess I missed it somewhere in here, but which re-flash did you get done, on your bike, that you are comparing with the clutch-switch mod? How many miles did you have on each for comparison?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #14759
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I had the reflash before the clutch mod. Across the whole rpm range it smooths out flat spots
and made the bike feel perfectly jetted. I would do the reflash again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Like Pluric I had the reflash done and it made the bike run properly in all phases. I would have it done again only sooner than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Another re-flash fan here. Glad I had it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Plus one more fan of the flash. It really changed my bike for the better.
It is much smoother through the power band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Just got my ECU back today from AF1 today. I had previously been running the clutch switch mod. Got the ECU flashed for regular gas since we can get non-ethanol regular around here.

The bike is much smoother. It just runs like a well sorted bike should. No dips, blips, surges etc...

The clutch switch mod was pretty good in my opinion, but I started not liking it in slow speed off-road situations, it was just too abrupt at low rpm's.

I gotta' admit; These posts are putting a little happy in my pocket.

With any luck, I'm gonna' try to get my ECU done, after the first of the year. I was waiting until I had a few thousand miles on the bike, so that I was thoroughly used to its behavior (and would immediately notice any difference).

My main question is this...

Does it do anything to the bike on the bottom-end?

Anyone who rides this bike, for a few hours, will realize that the low-RPM (and partial-throttle) fueling is dicked-up. In fact, if you wanna' see how dicked-up it is, roll the throttle on (1/8 to 1/4) under compression braking. It gargles and warbles all kinds of unnatural noises. And, if you fill it with regular, the low-end issues are even more pronounced.

Other than my KLR, I have never owned a bike that I couldn't (first gear) drift the ass-end, in turns. Even my little DR had a little hooligan in its blood. This bike has NADA...NOTHING. I have a hard time believing that a 1200 doesn't have a little unlocked juice left in there.

I love this bike SO MUCH. A little hooliganability would just be icing on the cake...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #14760
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Also, I guess I missed it somewhere in here, but which re-flash did you get done, on your bike, that you are comparing with the clutch-switch mod? How many miles did you have on each for comparison?

Dallara
Haven't done it yet, that's why I'm asking for comparison feedback from people who first did the clutch mod, then later did the reflash.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote