Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #14746
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
This is the intended NA part.

The South America part is yet to be planned but we are not doing a race from one end to the other. We are looking to try and fit in a part of the Dakar Rally too.

We will be starting in New York in mid April, going through Central America around September and flying back from Buenos Aires around February/March 2014.

The USA/Canada part is over 20k miles so I expect the whole trip to end up being 30-35k miles.
Hit me up when you pass through Jacksonville, Florida - got a warm bed, steaks on the grill, and libations galore for ya.

Immensely jealous by the way, looks like a trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to see the ride reports.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.

creggur screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 03:03 PM
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #14747
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,724
Quote:
This is the intended NA part.

The South America part is yet to be planned but we are not doing a race from one end to the other. We are looking to try and fit in a part of the Dakar Rally too.

We will be starting in New York in mid April, going through Central America around September and flying back from Buenos Aires around February/March 2014.

The USA/Canada part is over 20k miles so I expect the whole trip to end up being 30-35k miles.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word to the wise... the Natchez Trace (looks like you are doing it?) sucks, very boring. The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive (also looks like you are doing them) are fun though.

I did a big chunk of the Florida coast, Gulf coast, and up the Mississippi River as it appears you have routed also; that is scenic and fun, albeit slow going. If it's hot out, it'll be sweltering in your gear. Stop and swim in the Gulf every so often (not suggested in the Mississippi River!)

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #14748
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,848
Thumb Natchez Trace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Word to the wise... the Natchez Trace (looks like you are doing it?) sucks, very boring. The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive (also looks like you are doing them) are fun though.

I did a big chunk of the Florida coast, Gulf coast, and up the Mississippi River as it appears you have routed also; that is scenic and fun, albeit slow going. If it's hot out, it'll be sweltering in your gear. Stop and swim in the Gulf every so often (not suggested in the Mississippi River!)

Natchez Trace "sucks"? "Boring"?

Well, I guess that depends on your point of view. Yes, you certainly are restricted to the velocity you can motor along while on the Trace, and there are not exactly any twisty bits... But IMHO that doesn't make it exactly "boring". Sometimes it's nice to slow down a bit and simply enjoy the beautiful scenery, as well as soak in some history and heritage.

I found the Natchez Trace fascinating. I've got plenty of places I can go play road racer, or explore plenty of dirt roads and back country, but I've found few roads in the USA that are so well maintained and yet have so much wonderful historical significance. Lots of nice places to stop, and so many of those with enlightening historical markers, etc.

As for the Gulf Coast... I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, and ride on it almost every day. Yep, it gets hot, and it's humid, but I can't recall "sweltering" in my riding gear.

But to each his own... I've always thought it was more important to accentuate positives to foreign visitors than to try and harp on what I might see as a negative. After all, for instance, they may come from someplace that's too cold too much of the time and want some warm weather... Or they might actually find immersing themselves in some Southern history and heritage enjoyable.

Dallara

~

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #14749
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Natchez Trace "sucks"? "Boring"?

Well, I guess that depends on your point of view.

I came to the same conclusion as Meef. If you've got to get from Natchez to Nashville, then you can't beat the Parkway... but, where as the Blue Ridge was breathtaking, the Natchez is.... um... relaxing?! Non-exhilarating? Casual?

It was boring.

Way better than riding the highway, but boring.

I rode it for the ride, not the history. If you're into that sort of thing (the history) than YMMV.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #14750
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I found the Natchez Trace fascinating. I've got plenty of places I can go play road racer, or explore plenty of dirt roads and back country, but I've found few roads in the USA that are so well maintained and yet have so much wonderful historical significance. Lots of nice places to stop, and so many of those with enlightening historical markers, etc.
~
I'm the guy that stops at every historical marker on my normal travels.

Problem is the Natchez has a gazillion of them, if you stopped at every one and appreciated it for the requisite time, it would take you 6 days to ride the whole parkway.

The scenery is the same. Trees and a gentle curve... x 450 miles.

It's a better alternative than the freeway, but it's no less boring.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #14751
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
The trace is an amazing part of America's history. Make sure you stay overnight at French Camp they cook the best meals! And check out Elvis's hometown Tupelo and get a tour of the hardware store that sold him his first guitar. It was great! Stay in Natchez for the night in a B&B, cool old river town.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #14752
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,405
Wow guys, thanks for the offers. We might just pop in and sink a tin or two with you all.

As for Jaumev, what he doesn't know is that we are going to steal his bike for spares ,

We do have a blog for my travels since retirement but it is a bit boring at the moment as we are parked up in Spain till after the new year then it is back to the UK for prep. Aside from that it is written to appeal to my grown up kids and grandchildren. After the new year, I will post it again when I start putting stuff on about the bike and the trip.

http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com

EDIT: Link Fixed....Thanks Cug
Fortunately there is not too much organising needed as there are no carnets or visas needed for Brits in the whole of the Americas.

The bike is due at the shippers on the 8th April. It's about as ready as it is going to be, bar a couple of bits and pieces like front panniers and an oil bottle holder.

As for the Natchez, I read about it some time ago and and intended to fit it in then completely forgot about it so now at least some of it is back on the list. I appreciate it may be a bit boring but then I expect a lot of boring bits on this trip. It can’t all be good can it. Even in the postage stamp sized UK there are many boring bits and they are usually the quick roads.

We are open to any suggestions as to places to visit as my route is not cast in stone except the Flagstaff to LA part where we will be riding with some UK mates. Although I love the rough stuff, I need to temper it a bit as we are 2 up.

I love retirement !

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 11:23 AM
Old Git Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #14753
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:

As for Jaumev, what he doesn't know is that we are going to steal his bike for spares ,
I love retirement !
If you want to steel my bike, first you must come to Catalunya and we have a ride together... then you can have the bike... if you can catch me...

Tell me if in your trip to UK you come close to Barcelona

I must work a lot to have a retirement like yours
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #14754
VetMXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I am close to purchasing a Tenere but how the heck do you guys who are married to a wife that doesn't like motorcycles at all get an approval to purchase one? This has been my hardest wall to climb. My wife does not understand my love for riding.

For those who are married to a non motorcycle luvn wife, how were you able to justify a 14k Tenere?
Give me the secret and I will be a tenere owner.

bd
Young Grasshopper, in 30 years of marriage the most important thing that I have learned over these many years is...

It is much easier to be forgiven than to get permission.

VetMXR
1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469494
VetMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #14755
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
We are open to any suggestions as to places to visit as my route is not cast in stone except the Flagstaff to LA part where we will be riding with some UK mates. Although I love the rough stuff, I need to temper it a bit as we are 2 up.
Alright! I'll throw some stuff at you... I don't know how exact that map is, so this may all already be known to you.

First off, that link to your web blog is down... Error 404.

I'm sure you're riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy down the east coast. Once you hit the end, you've got to do the standard great stuff down there: Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc. I can't tell from the map if you're doing much around this area, but the scenery and riding is spectacular.

If you're going to southern Florida already, take the extra time to ride down the Key's to Key West.

Around Ohio, looks like you're going to top/center... Not sure what you're plan is, but Cedar Point amusement park is right there. If roller coasters are your thing, they've been voted best in the world for almost a decade. Put-In-Bay is also right there. Kind-of a fun little island party spot, although having just come from Key West (and the Florida coast in general), this isn't going to be anything great.

I'm in Columbus, and I've always got an available guest bedroom/bathroom. I can grill, and we can call upon the other locals to gather around the fire pit out back.

Moving on... looks like you've got some stuff marked in western South Dakota already... the must see stuff: Badlands National Park, Iron Mountain Highway, Needles Highway, all great riding. Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, and Crazy Horse are all in the same area... worth the stop if you're looking for things to do/see, but none are going to blow your socks off.

Leaving this area, you must (requirement) ride Bear Tooth Pass from Red Lodge Montana into Yellowstone National Park. Awesome ride.

Once you're in Yellowstone there is much to see. Be prepared for big crowds and lots of RV's. If you have the extra two days, ride south in Yellowstone to visit Grand Teton National Park. Worth it.

Heading back north... Glacier National Park is pretty great. Ride the Going To The Sun road. You'll instantly forget about the line of tourist traffic you're riding in. The road/view is that great.

Now you've got some time to relax; a couple hundred miles of average riding. Use this time wisely... stretch those face muscles... do some neck rolls... get mentally prepared... because you're about to enter the Canadian Rockies, and the Ice-fields Parkway is about as close as you can get to motorboating the supermodel that is mother nature. Mind = Blown.

A little tip, fill up your tank prior to entering the park... gas within the area is damn-near double in price.

Right off the Alaska Highway in NE British Columbia is the Liard Hot Springs. If you're camping along the way... stay here one night, if not, at least make this a pit stop. It was the nicest campground we hit among the 20 we stayed at on my trip, and the hot springs are awesome. When camping you have 24 hour access, so we went during the day for a bit, then went back in the middle of the night and soaked for an hour or more. Sitting in the natural hot springs, looking through the steam at millions of stars... unforgettable.

That's it from me... I've never been to the US West/Southwest, so I can't help there (perhaps I'll see you there next year?)

Enjoy!

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 08:01 AM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #14756
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
I picked the bike in None with the exhaust finished. They improve the heat protections and some minor changes, it looks great and the sound is better than before.
Mine is hand made, the production ones they are going to be melded mechanically so will be better finished.
Now they are going to start the production..
The price is 630 plus taxes (21% in Spain) and transport.
They supplied it with aluminium brackets and a system to fix the OEM blinkers. No problem to use it with the OEM panniers and passenger pegs.
They said if there is interest they could make a special offer to a group buy.

This guys make serious stuff:

Hope there is interest on it and we can convince them yo make som head pipes!!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #14757
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
First off, that link to your web blog is down... Error 404.
The blog is up just fine, the link is missing the http part and therefore gets attached to the current domain (advrider), which throws a 404. Look at the link when it comes up like that and see the issue.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #14758
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Alright! I'll throw some stuff at you... I don't know how exact that map is, so this may all already be known to you.

First off, that link to your web blog is down... Error 404..............
................Enjoy!
Bloody hell Mike.

It will take me a while to sift through that lot.

I will come back when done. Link fixed too.

Thanks Ray
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #14759
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
If you want to steel my bike, first you must come to Catalunya and we have a ride together... then you can have the bike... if you can catch me...

I must work a lot to have a retirement like yours
The way our economy is going, we gona work until 85...
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #14760
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

I carried on working on the Yam today. My bike being 2 1/2 years old now, I changed the coolant which had silver particles in it and also changed the brake/clutch fluid which was black (as in filthy).

The silver particles can just be seen glinting in the sunlight in this piccy. I posted this as the bits will be abrasive in the waterpump !!

I greased up everything that moved and when I took my twistgrip off I found the handlebar badly rusted. I scraped a lot off before taking the photo.