User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Happy Trails

Anyone have trouble with Happy Trails following through on delivery deadlines? I'm getting a lot of "overpromise, underdeliver" from them.

I put in an order on May 30th with a ship date of June 6th. Then June 6th rolls around and it's gonna ship on the 18th. Then the 20th.

Each time I call, I get put on hold and the customer support person goes to check on "somethingorother" until the hold music times me out and sends me to a generic voicemail or hangs up on me. Doesn't matter if it's Chad, Trevor, or the manager (I forgot his name).

I'm probably going to cancel my order with them tomorrow, assuming I can get an actual human being to not put me on hold before following through with that.

Disappointed. I'm leaving for a trip in early July and was assured I'd have what I requested by mid-June. Now I have to source a comparable product from a different vendor and pay expedited shipping.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Anyone have trouble with Happy Trails following through on delivery deadlines? I'm getting a lot of "overpromise, underdeliver" from them.

I put in an order on May 30th with a ship date of June 6th. Then June 6th rolls around and it's gonna ship on the 18th. Then the 20th.

Each time I call, I get put on hold and the customer support person goes to check on "somethingorother" until the hold music times me out and sends me to a generic voicemail or hangs up on me. Doesn't matter if it's Chad, Trevor, or the manager (I forgot his name).

I'm probably going to cancel my order with them tomorrow, assuming I can get an actual human being to not put me on hold before following through with that.

Disappointed. I'm leaving for a trip in early July and was assured I'd have what I requested by mid-June. Now I have to source a comparable product from a different vendor and pay expedited shipping.
I ordered racks for my wife's DL650 and they did take a long time to arrive. I heard they were having production troubles. I've ordered lots of other stuff from them in the past with no issues. I like their product, perhaps just a glitch in their system.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 564
And I thought it was just my luck. I ordered a pillion rack for my 1200GS on June 2. A week later I called and was told the racks were on back order. The second week I was promised an email later the same day with a target delivery date. Nada. Eighteen days after the initial order I get an email with a tracking number and a delivery date of June 26.

The employees answering my calls were pleasant enough but information was somewhat vague.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Beast1210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Since someone else brought it up, lets just say yes. months over weeks yes
Beast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,877
I've had no problems. Talk to either Taralynn or Heather. I have panniers and a trunk on my S10.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 476
Same problem 2 years ago..........was told over the phone that my Vstrom Racks were in stock. Placed order next day over the internet.........few days later get a ship date "way out there". Call them back........."Oh, we are out of stock on that model racks". Quality Products.........Quality Service, not so much.
I'll still order from them in the future (if I need to), but will assume the item will take a few weeks to get to me no matter what I am told.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update:

I'm precariously close to being "effed in the ay" by this whole thing.

Monday, the 23rd, I get a UPS tracking number from one of the phone support guys shortly after posting here. I look at the status update on it at UPS' website, and it says the label was printed on the 20th and that UPS still hasn't received the package to begin shipping. Meaning the package is still at HT's loading dock. This is at close of business on the 23rd.

In HT's credit, I did get called by Tara yesterday the 24th before I had a window in my day to call them to cancel the order, pretty much right away in the morning. She promised me she was going to research the order and fix everything, and call me back in 1 hour to let me know what's up.

She called back within that hour, said she located my package, that the tracking number I was given on Monday was incorrect, and gave me a different tracking number. Looking at progress on that tracking number, it left Idaho the evening of the 24th and is at UPS' hub in Kentucky right now and scheduled to be delivered on the 27th.

So: good on Tara for kicking some butt over there and getting my package out the door.

But, I'm now in a 100% do-or-die situation. I have 1 weekend to test for fit, test load-out, and pray I have everything I need for a 10 day, ~4000 mile trip. No time to get any missing bolts, no way to deal with any poor fitment, and so on. I need to mount tool-tubes between the rack and the bike, and so on. And... I really need to load it up and actually take it out overnight at least once as a test, which means that has to happen Saturday.

Moto-Kafe, I figured "a few weeks" as well. Better to figure 2-3 months, it seems.

I'll update on Saturday based upon what happens when I open the box. I'm terrified I'm going to be left high and dry by something.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Sure takes the pleasure out of farkling. I feel for you.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update. Happy trails got the package to me on friday as promised by Tara. I installed the SL racks on my Tiger with no issues. Very clean install for a new product from HT.

I still have yet to go through the puck set I ordered along with it. As long as all parts are present and correct dimensions I will be good to go, as my cases are a home brew setup of seahorse 720 model cases and backer plates I will cut to size myself. All that work and risk is on me as far as the cases being suitable.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Good Luck!!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
ssimon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Happy Trails rack

Ordered my rack .Told it was in stock . Finally got it a couple months later . Meanwhile got every story in the book.
ssimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Step 1 in ordering from HappyTrails = Have no specific deadline for when you need the parts...

Been frustrated with their ordering/shipping process a number of times as well.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
I have had similar issues and god forbid you lay the bike down and need just one of something, like engine bar bags. You can only buy the whole set nor can you send it back to be repaired. I will stop by to look at panniers on my way to Arizona, but it would a HELL OF A LOT of salesmanship to get me to buy. Just one large foul taste in my mouth.

I something similar. I have Pelican 1550's mounted to HT rack and inside tool bag mount and bag. Worked great for D2D. Didn't take a but about an hour a bag to mount the pucks and stuff.

Hope it all works out.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pucks fit well, my plans for mounting the cases worked just fine.

I loaded up the Tiger yesterday afternoon after I got done with assembling everything, and camped out up on the Rim near Black Canyon Lake. Then in the morning I broke camp and headed south from 260 to Young, through to Globe, and back home in Mesa.

Nothing shook loose, and I even got to test how well the cases stood up to the bike being laid over... While pitching camp, I evidently pulled too hard on a strap while the bike was on the side-stand and knocked the bike over. But, I can pick it up on my own even with all the crap on it, so yay. No damage to cases or racks.

Note to self... always use center-stand at campsites!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
bitemeback
electriceel125

Oddometer: 149
It took them over 2 months past first promised ship date to ship a skid plate to me. Got all sorts of it will ship Friday stories. After two months late I started calling everyday and after two weeks of that it shipped. Wish they could just give a realistic answer.

Good product good price. Poor service.
XR650R - WANT To buy it?
bitemeback is offline   Reply With Quote