Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #16
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Re: Re: Rich's

Quote:
Said Marc:
I've got a Russell and I love it. The only thing I wish I could get with it is a heated insert (like the Corbin and Rich's have...yeah yeah, I'm a wuss). Unfortunately, when I asked the good folk at Russell (before I bought my saddle), they told me that they'd had some requests for this, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to do it.
I got a heat insert installed by Russell. All you have to do is buy one from Travelcade and sent it with your seat to Russell. You mark a place on the bottom for the hole to extend a wire and they build the pad into your seat.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 01-09-2003 at 01:41 PM
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:28 AM   #17
Stick
Jingoistic Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Sorry to hear all the stories

about Rick's saddles, but I am a happy camper with his work on my LT saddle. In fact, mine was the first new style LT he had done and while it took a bit longer than expected (about 3 weeks) the end result is perfect for my ass.

The wife's ass was in fact a different story and we rode on up to his place for a final adjustment. Nice suroundings and fast service.

The wife "thought for sure" it was perfect when we left and felt the same way when we got back home (130 or so miles). however on our first long ride with the new saddles, but the time we hit Arkansas (1500 or so) she had the most painful looking red ass cherries on each cute cheek. Now I understood her bitching the last 500 miles or so.............

Not wanting to subject her to the same ride home, I found someone willing to trade out for a stock rear seat and she's in heaven again.

As someone else mentioned here, she tended to slide down and forward on the RMC seat even after he scooped a bunch more foam out. I think he may be used to building for big assed babes as the padding was too thinck to compress even after time. Thw wife weighs in at about 110 and there's not much natural pading on that butt, but I like it all the better.......er.......nevermind.

Fish- I am suprised that you had such a difficult time getting a refund, BUT did you really expect to receive full credit for front and rear when you returned only front? Hell I could have done that and kept my rider seat (which I love) for free, eh?

Don't quite understand spending good money for RM seat then before asking for a refund, spending the bigger bucks and sending what you had paid for and were unhappy with, to Russell....

Hell that RMC might've fit me and 'd have traded you even up.
You'd have had a like new stocker and I'd have had the RMC i'm planning on getting........... but now you guys got me thinking.....Rich's, Russell and maybe even Rocky mayer...... hmmmmmmm
No.47, FHBE#6, IM#2
"Temperamentally and consitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone....."
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #18
fish OP
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Sorry to hear all the stories

Quote:
Said Stick:
Fish- I am suprised that you had such a difficult time getting a refund, BUT did you really expect to receive full credit for front and rear when you returned only front? Hell I could have done that and kept my rider seat (which I love) for free, eh?
Understand that he only made a cover for the rear...no foam work. That's certainly not half the cost. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I got ANY money back. Too, perhaps you missed the part where I tried to contact him for a refund and got no responses.

I'm glad you had such a great experience with him. Certainly, I must be in the minority, or he wouldn't still be in business.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
h2000fb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
You now have me considering elsewhere...

I want my R1200RT seat modified. Sent Rick M. emails and called twice. Left him my Cell number. NO RETURN CALLS or answered emails. Too busy for new new business? I was inquiring about lead time to start job - bought used saddle to modify.

However, he will not answer/return my phone calls or email. Maybe this is sign? If he does not have time to talk to me (promising $$), how anxious will he be to talk to me after he receives my money? This and your stories have me worried.
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
tmh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I don't recall whether I read "issues with RMS" on this board or on another, but a few things I always recall reading:

1) I believe that the custom saddle business is only a sideline for Rick;
2) His communication skills are not the best; and
3) The majority of folks who have been most pleased with his work are those who have done a ride-in fitting/seat fab.

Seems like those who can't do a ride-in have the most issues, so you have to choose if you want to go somewhere else instead.

Tom
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,521
This isn't the first time I've heard of problems with Rick Mayer. One of the major complaints about him is his habit of reusing old tired foam.

On the other hand I've had his brother Bill re do 3 saddles for me. Two were great right off, the other needed help. I hadn't ridden the bike enough so it was at least a year before I got back to him. No problem, send it in, sorry we missed is what I was told. It came back perfect. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
On the other hand I've had his brother Bill re do 3 saddles for me. Two were great right off, the other needed help. I hadn't ridden the bike enough so it was at least a year before I got back to him. No problem, send it in, sorry we missed is what I was told. It came back perfect. JT
Wasn't Bill the dad? We got one of his seats just before he died......

jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #23
rabvette
Ride Hard!

Oddometer: 50
I will put another vote in for Bill Mayer. I have had numerous bikes and saddles and the new 1200GT is one of my bikes. The stock seat sucked big time. I was leaving on a trip shortly after I purchased the bike. I e-mailed Bill (Rocky) Mayer and told him about the trip etc. He e-mailed back the next day (very impressive). I overnighted the seat to him and had it back in about 4 days, Iowa to California and back. I should mention this was also in June, which I am sure is his busy season. The seat was 1000 times better than stock, took the trip, butt was much happier. I was still sliding forward on the seat, so I called them after my riding season was over. They had me send the seat back and they re-built it for free, they did not even charge me shipping on the way back. Since it is Feb. in Iowa I have not tried the seat yet but I can tell by the way it looks and sitting on it , I feel my problems are over.
Thanks Bill and keep up the excellent work!
rabvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #24
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
Wasn't Bill the dad? We got one of his seats just before he died......
Bill Mayer Sr. saddle is what you have on your bike. Bill Sr. sold the business and the seat design to Russell. Bill Jr. (aka Rocky) has his own saddle business.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #25
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,955
Funny thing - When I got into serious LD riding I saw Peter Hoogeveen's Honda Blackbird IBR bike and I saw the Mayer saddle on it. I went to the wrong Mayer and got one of Rick's saddles made. It was OK at first but they were really disorganized - I was still gettting production dates for my seat after it was back on my bike. The seat did not hold up and he was impossible to get ahold of - the seat took far longer to build as I recall than he stated and the raincover was a piece of crap it looked like a shower cap at best and fit about as well as one.

My wife bought a new bike and needed a saddle so we rode down to Rich's in Seattle. I was so impressed with what he did that he rebuilt my Rick Meyer saddle the same day. I was shurprised to see the quality fo the material he used in my seat it was just crap comapred to what Rich was doing on my wife's bike.

Since then I have had 4 saddles built by Rich and Susan has had 2 done. We get a new bike and immediately make an appointment for a ride in seat fitting.

Funny Story my first Rich's seat off my 1150 GS I sent to a friend when I bought an Adventure with the comment "ride on it for a week then send me a cheque for $300.00 if you like it, otherwise I will pay to have it shipped back".

2 days later I get the message "You are an A**h*le the check is in the mail, that seat now has over 100K miles on it and still looks new

I have 50K miles on my latest Rich's seat and it has been a source of bottom joy since day one. Rich has tweaked a few seats for us as they settled down over time or our riding position changed (all at no charge). During the IBR a lot of us had Rich's seats and no one I know had any issues. Rich builts about 2500 seats a year out of his shop. I highly recommend him to all ADV Riders
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #26
evilmedic13
Sarcastic & Fantastic

Oddometer: 937
Eek

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be getting one of Rich's seats next year. Saving all my pennies now, seems that not only do they look great and feel even better, I get an excuse to ride to the west coast. I'm gonna be divorced before our 5th anniversary if I keep this up .
evilmedic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #27
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Thumb

Rich's in Seattle is the man. A buddy of mine has one of his seats. It just works great!
Ciao, Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #28
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
I have seeing many Rick Mayer seats over the years (for Work, on my clients bikes) and even if I'm a good friend with Rocky
I need to say Rick's seats are also very well crafter and his attencion to costumer needs and proper ergonomics is close to impecable.

years ahead from Corbin that is for sure.

Also the other Rick is seattle produces some Incredible work that i enjoy very much.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #29
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
I have not heard previous complaints about either of the Mayers except there was almost a blood feud between the two. I had an original Mayer and also a BMS and found them comfortable. Getting a seat just right by mail order must be a challenge...the real problem here seems to be poor communication between Rick Mayer and his customers...a lesson many others should know about.

Rich's seats look interesting,,,,quite a bit of scoop in them though,,,,has anyone tried on a V Strom?
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,562
another option for excellent seat work is Don Weber of Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. He's been in the business for 40 years and really knows his stuff. My wife and I spent a day with him as he redid our OS seats, they are now fabulous.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote