Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
I thought Mr. Ed was a horse,,who has had experience with his seats?
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #32
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Mr Ed's MC seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
another option for excellent seat work is Don Weber of Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. He's been in the business for 40 years and really knows his stuff. My wife and I spent a day with him as he redid our OS seats, they are now fabulous.
Don Weber is a stand up guy. His seats are the best and HE WILL take care of you.
Chip
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #33
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,466
As the owner of a Rich's seat I will add my 2 worth. He makes the seat to fit you, on your bike, for your riding style. A deep seat has a larger contact area and so has lower contact pressure and thus greater comfort. But if stylin is more what you want then he can accomodate you as well. He has done seats for every kind, type, brand and make of M/C. Highly recommended.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
snip

Rich's seats look interesting,,,,quite a bit of scoop in them though,,,,has anyone tried on a V Strom?

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #34
TexasMule
Float away ya fairy...

Oddometer: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
As the owner of a Rich's seat I will add my 2 worth. He makes the seat to fit you, on your bike, for your riding style. A deep seat has a larger contact area and so has lower contact pressure and thus greater comfort. But if stylin is more what you want then he can accomodate you as well. He has done seats for every kind, type, brand and make of M/C. Highly recommended.

JJ
John,

The only problem with Rich's seats is he is VERY reluctant to cut your seat without you being present.

That said, MuleWife and I took our seats to him while visiting friends in Seattle and he did an outstanding job. My son's Mule (was mine) still has it on, and looks great.

You just have to have a lot of patience with him as he's an artiste.
-to my mind alloy triumph tanks rank near titties in their inherent attractiveness -Mutt
TexasMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #35
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Talking

Solve all your after market seat concerns.

Renazco Racing!!

Corky
AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #36
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,466
Very true. Mostly because he places you in 3d space relative to the bike to maximize control, comfort, and long term use.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMule
John,

The only problem with Rich's seats is he is VERY reluctant to cut your seat without you being present.

That said, MuleWife and I took our seats to him while visiting friends in Seattle and he did an outstanding job. My son's Mule (was mine) still has it on, and looks great.

You just have to have a lot of patience with him as he's an artiste.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #37
patobravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal
Don Weber is a stand up guy. His seats are the best and HE WILL take care of you.
Chip
+2
Buy you lunch too!
patobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #38
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
It just says there are several good seatmakers out there...Rick Mayer has been in business a long time and I am sure has many fans too.....the bad communication thing will hurt him though....Mr. Ed seems to have that part under control. Doing seats by mail has to be a tough job as people are so many different shapes and have various riding styles.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #39
Harrington
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I wanted a custom seat on my 12RT. I emailed Rick Mayer about a ride in date. I didn't get a reply. I emailed Russell and heard back in 2 days. I rode up there December 12th. They did a great job and did it on time....in fact it was finished a few hours early. I gladly gave them my money and will do it again for my next custom saddle.

The saddle is perfect and hasn't required any adjustments. I believe the ride in fitting is the way to go.
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #40
Schnabeltier
CEO, the Brute Squad

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
another option for excellent seat work is Don Weber of Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. He's been in the business for 40 years and really knows his stuff. My wife and I spent a day with him as he redid our OS seats, they are now fabulous.
Don recrafted my stock 1150 GS seat from a few photos. It arrived on time, at the specified price, and has kept my cheeks happy for the last three years. A trustworthy guy, based on my experience.
Schnabeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #41
mqo233
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
he did it to me as well

Did not like the seat, I sent it back, he says he fixed it, and it still had same problems, told him I wanted my money back, and two years later, I am still waiting, I saw him at a rally and I was nice enough not to say anything in front of his wife, but I wanted to tell her, that her husband was not truthful with me. I would never recommend him to anyone, his brother does a better job and as his father use to do.

James
mqo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #42
Mr. Malta
Mongo like candy.

Oddometer: 98
Russell Day-Long fit

Since we're on the subject, I put a Russell on my GS and I'm pretty happy with it, but can't get it to fit in the lower height setting notches. When I inquired with Russell they said it should work and that it must be something I was doing wrong. After taking it apart for the fifth time, I realized that the luggage rack lip was contacting the inside back of my seat preventing it from going all the way down to the lower notch.
Any one else have this problem?
Mr. Malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #43
roguerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
A couple of years ago and friend and I had Rick Mayer do seats for his R1100RT and my K1100LT. I rode down to Ricks shop in northern California and he did the work while I waited. I paid for a rain cover for the leather seat but Rick didn't have time to do it and promised that he would send it shortly. Weeks and months went by with numerous emails to Rick about the rain cover and after nearly 6 months I finally got a refund from him but not without lots of time on my part trying to get his attention. My buddy had nearly an identical experience and both of us had seats that were not comfortable. Not sure what the deal is with Rick but he does not do well in taking care of business. I'm headed up to Mr Ed's Moto (Don Webber) in Albany next month to have him do his magic on my new R1200GS. Don has many happy customers among the BMW Riders of Oregon.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #44
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
not to mention that his seats are the ugliest creations I've ever seen on a motorcycle.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #45
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal
Chip
Sorry if this hijacks the thread, but can you give me the approximate costs of a Mr Ed's seat? All this talk of RMS has got me thinking of other options. Thanks.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote