ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #46
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring
 
Treadless's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Santa Barbara Ca
Oddometer: 5,244
I am disappointed to see that what I went through 2 years ago when I was there, was not a temporary thing and appears to still be current. His sense of logic is unique. IMO.
__________________

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #47
Sparko
CoDen
 
Sparko's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado-Denver
Oddometer: 20
Thumbs down

I am having a realy hard time dealing with Rick Mayer.
Anyone thinking of dealing with him should dig some on the ST1300 formus.
I wish I had never sent him a dime.

Sparko screwed with this post 07-22-2007 at 08:42 PM
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #48
chris in tn
tufelhunden
 
chris in tn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Oddometer: 166
He nearly cost me my trip to Daytona about 4 years ago. I sent him my seat from my Guzzi about 3 months before I was to leave. He said it would be plenty of time. As you might guess, time went on and on, phone call and emails unanswered, promises broken and dates not met. I finally got hold of him two days before I was to leave and give him an ear full. He overnighted my seat to me, that he had taken the stock cover off of and had done nothing to it. I had to ride to Daytona on my stock seat, bare foam. He already had my money and was not interested in a refund. I went with him because he was about $150 cheaper than most of the competition. Bad idea. Beware of Rick Mayer Saddles.
chris in tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #49
roguerider
Adventurer
 
roguerider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: southern Oregon
Oddometer: 68
A buddy and I both had Rick make custom seats for us a couple of years back. I rode down to his shop and waited while he built the seat but he didn't have time to complete the rain cover for my leather seat and said he would mail it right away to me ( I had already paid for it). Time went by and I never got the cover and it took 6 months of repeated phone calls and emails to finally get a refund from him. My buddy had a nearly identical experience with him. On top of all that neither of us was ever happy with his seat and finally got rid of them when we sold the bikes. Rick is NOT a business person!!!
__________________
R1200GS
roguerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #50
GCRanch
Ghost Creek Ranch
 
GCRanch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Bandera, Tx
Oddometer: 31
Rick Mayer did a great job for me...

... Rick built my R1150 Adventurer saddle I only have 3,000 miles on it but love the way it works so far... I ride a minimum of 100 miles every day (with vacations my wife & I ride between 50,000 & 70,000 miles/year) so I am pretty confident the seat will perform well... Rick called me directly several times throughout the build timeframe... he is a great guy... as indicated in this thread Rick builds a lot of seats and it is not possible to please all the people all the time... Just one more perspective... Mark
__________________
Mark Holliday
Not All Who Wander... Are Lost...
GCRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #51
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD
 
TedShred's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: No Where Special
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRanch
... Rick built my R1150 Adventurer saddle I only have 3,000 miles on it but love the way it works so far... I ride a minimum of 100 miles every day (with vacations my wife & I ride between 50,000 & 70,000 miles/year) so I am pretty confident the seat will perform well... Rick called me directly several times throughout the build timeframe... he is a great guy... as indicated in this thread Rick builds a lot of seats and it is not possible to please all the people all the time... Just one more perspective... Mark

I'm also very happy with the seat he made for my GS and recomend him to anyone that asks about my seat. I know dozens of guys who have his seats and they are quite happy with them and Rick. I had two friends ride out here last year, one from FL and one from TX to have him make their seats...
__________________
"Well Traveled Wise-Ass"

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #52
strsout
Banned Camp
 
strsout's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred
I'm also very happy with the seat he made for my GS and recomend him to anyone that asks about my seat. I know dozens of guys who have his seats and they are quite happy with them and Rick. I had two friends ride out here last year, one from FL and one from TX to have him make their seats...
I'm another one happy with Rick Mayer Saddles.
He made for my first 1999 LT, then for my second 2002 LT, and then for my 2003 GS, as well the passenger back rest for the GS.

It could take a while for him to delivery, but the job was always really good, and when need adjustment, it was done and done right.
__________________
Motorcycle Trips, Photos and Maps
2002 BMW K1200LTe - 2004 BMW R1150GSAdventure
2005 BMW R1200GS - 1998 BMW R1100GS
Loma Linda - CA - IBA#14,458 - AMA
strsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:38 AM   #53
MCP
Studly Adventurer
 
MCP's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Caribbean & Nanaimo, B.C.
Oddometer: 571
Rick Mayer = Nothing but problems for me too

Your experience sounds identical to mine, except he nearly cost me a trip to the Baja last Feb. Absolutely the most frustrating buying experience I have ever had.

I wouldn't go near him again.

Like the saddle though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in tn
He nearly cost me my trip to Daytona about 4 years ago. I sent him my seat from my Guzzi about 3 months before I was to leave. He said it would be plenty of time. As you might guess, time went on and on, phone call and emails unanswered, promises broken and dates not met. I finally got hold of him two days before I was to leave and give him an ear full. He overnighted my seat to me, that he had taken the stock cover off of and had done nothing to it. I had to ride to Daytona on my stock seat, bare foam. He already had my money and was not interested in a refund. I went with him because he was about $150 cheaper than most of the competition. Bad idea. Beware of Rick Mayer Saddles.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #54
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguerider
he didn't have time to complete the rain cover for my leather seat and said he would mail it right away to me ( I had already paid for it). Time went by and I never got the cover
Meeting deadlines is not his strong suit.. sending out rain covers after the fact never seems to happen. I have bought 4 Rick Mayer seats and every time he stiffed me on the rain cover. Every time!

Then I had an epiphany and ordered a seat from Russel Day Long saddles. I'll never get a seat from anyone else; superior customer service, seat built a week before it was supposed to be, and the rain cover was included. And the seat? heads and shoulders above the Rick Mayer in all day comfort, not that the RM seat is not comfortable.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #55
Daaayo
wanderin' round n round
 
Daaayo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Sierra Foothills
Oddometer: 116
Thanks

I really appreciate ADV Rider more and more! I was gettng ready to buy a RMC seat but now I will make a ride in appointment with Russell tomorrow morning... You guys are awesome!
Daaayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #56
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD
 
TedShred's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: No Where Special
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaayo
I really appreciate ADV Rider more and more! I was gettng ready to buy a RMC seat but now I will make a ride in appointment with Russell tomorrow morning... You guys are awesome!
You should give Rick a call tomorrow and give him a chance. He makes a REALLY nice seat...
__________________
"Well Traveled Wise-Ass"

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #57
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred
You should give Rick a call tomorrow and give him a chance. He makes a REALLY nice seat...
If you want to take a chance play the lottery. If you want a guaranteed nice seat go with Russell.

I bought a RM seat. I am another one who had lots of problems with getting my seat and never got my rain cover. I will admit that the seat was pretty good when I got it.

I have had 3 Russells since.
Excellent customer service. I did have to send one back twice for adjustments but it was quick and no questions asked. That seat is now perfect and is a true tried and tested 1,000 mile day seat.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #58
Henry James
Looking for Adventure
 
Henry James's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: quonset hut North of Sacramento
Oddometer: 349
Rick Mayer

Can you say Sergent. Had two built by Rick Mayer. Now I have a Sergent, love it.
HJ
__________________
Glory to thee, not to me.
Henry James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #59
gec343
Studly Adventurer
 
gec343's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Evart, Michigan
Oddometer: 814
Russell Seat

I have a Russell seat on my ST1300. Best seat I've had in fifty one years of riding, Unbelievable comfort, but wish I had heat.
__________________
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.” -- Anatole France

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #60
Carl
,,,
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: South Tejas
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRanch
... Rick built my R1150 Adventurer saddle I only have 3,000 miles on it but love the way it works so far... I ride a minimum of 100 miles every day (with vacations my wife & I ride between 50,000 & 70,000 miles/year) so I am pretty confident the seat will perform well... Rick called me directly several times throughout the build timeframe... he is a great guy... as indicated in this thread Rick builds a lot of seats and it is not possible to please all the people all the time... Just one more perspective... Mark
greetings from helotes. your advrider profile has you not accepting pm. please contact me via advrider pm, if that is alright with you.

thanks,
Carl
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014