User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #61
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
wow this thread is almost 5 yrs old.
I had rick build one for me, well done, primo workmanship, on time, no issues, $279 + ship. imagine a XR650R that is comfortable! nuf' said. your exp may very but I'm very happy
Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #62
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,746
I wish I had of seen this thread a few months ago. I ordered a seat from Rick Mayer that was supposed to take two weeks to build. Its been almost 6 weeks and still no seat. All I am getting are excuses.

He has till Friday to let me know its on the way or I'm going to dispute the charges with my credit card company (he charged the card when I ordered the seat, 3 months ago).
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #63
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
i have mixed feelings toward rmc. i ordered a seat and received it back on the long end of the time estimate (six weeks). that i cant really complain about and the seat looks great. there is something about it though that just doesnt feel right.

its not worth the $100 shipping and the months time to send it for an adjustment imo.

when he had my seat, we moved unexpectedly (we found a great deal on a house, closed, and moved in less than three weeks!). i tried for days to get ahold of him on the phone to change my address. i left several messages and emails. eventually an email replied saying that they cant change addresses over email and that i would have to call!!! really?! cause thats what ive been doing! my seat made it to me, so apparently he listens to the messages, but just doesnt reply to them.

his product is ok, but his customer service is non existent. i got the impression that if i sent my seat back , he would complain cause i didnt like his product. he just seems like that type. also, he advertises a law enforcement discount and i calculated it into my price. he charged me full price instead and didnt explain why. if i dont qualify for an le discount, then nobody does! i would not do business with him again more than likely. ymmv.

i too wish i would have seen this thread prior to my order back in september-would have gone elsewhere.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

tjhess74 screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 11:11 AM
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #64
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

I sent him an email yesterday raising hell, and he replied back with a tracking number showing it went out over the weekend. Looks like I should be getting it on Friday, 1/02/09.

We'll see how good it is once it shows up. Fortunately I ordered it during one of his half price sales, so I got it at a decent price.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #65
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
I must be a sucker because I've bought 4 seats from RMC. Luckily for me, the first 3 seats fit me perfectly. I got the long delays for the first order, but I learned to ask him to bring the saddle with him to the MOA rally, so he had to have it there, which he always did. Promised rain covers were never delivered, ever.

After my 4th, which was ok, but not great, I switched to Russel Day Long and will never buy a custom seat from anyone else. (Ok, I did get one from Renazco, but that's for a dirt bike..)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #66
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I must be a sucker because I've bought 4 seats from RMC. Luckily for me, the first 3 seats fit me perfectly. I got the long delays for the first order, but I learned to ask him to bring the saddle with him to the MOA rally, so he had to have it there, which he always did. Promised rain covers were never delivered, ever.

After my 4th, which was ok, but not great, I switched to Russel Day Long and will never buy a custom seat from anyone else. (Ok, I did get one from Renazco, but that's for a dirt bike..)
Sorry to be off subject a bit here. I have a Russell on my FJR. Best seat I have every owned. Now I'm up in arms in either buying a Russell or Renazco for my new (to me) KTM ADV 990. I'm new to dual sporting, so I don't know how much off road riding I will actually do. I guess my main question is if I buy a Russell will it effect my off-road abilities' in anyway with that tractor type seat? If so how much will it effect it.

Thanks !!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #67
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Ok, I've been bashing Rick Mayer for his lousy service, but I have to be fair here. The seat came in today and it looks and feels perfect! It is so much better than I was expecting.

I just wish his service was better.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #68
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
I guess my main question is if I buy a Russell will it effect my off-road abilities' in anyway with that tractor type seat? If so how much will it effect it.

Thanks !!
yes, you will want to stand on the pegs and lean back and with the wings, they will get in the way, if you're doing D-S riding, I'd go with a Renazco for your 950. Top notch service from Renazco too.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #69
arrowheadjake
Oldracr

Oddometer: 128
Question Rick Meyer seats

Does anyone know if Rick is still in business???
I returned my original seat base to him in December and can't get my deposit of $250 back. I talked to him over two weeks ago, but still no $$$$.
Just wondering if any else is having a problem.

06 1200GS
05 1200RT
07 DR-650
08 KLX-450
74 250 Mag Husky
arrowheadjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #70
GB
Mod Squad

Moved to Rick Mayer vendor's forum bitchfest thread.

As you'll read here, his money back guarantee isn't what it seems to be..
Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #71
jettech01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
caveat emptor: let the buyer beware.

Following is my experience with Rick Mayer Cycle, maker of custom motorcycle saddles. Draw your own conclusions and buy from him only after knowing the potential outcome.

The story is quite long and involved, but I'll try to give the major points here:
  • Purchased a seat from RMC last year and it was uncomfortable, so I arranged a ride-in visit some 300 miles from home to have it "adjusted". The adjustment failed.
  • I requested a refund by email, but got no response. Emailed a second time, again no response. So I decided to give up on RMC and order a Russell saddle.
  • I sent the RMC saddle to Russell when my production date arrived. The day the seat got to Russell, they called me and told me that both the front and rear seatpan were cracked and useless. It turns out that in Rick Mayer's haste or desire to save money, he didn't make a new cover to match the adjustment and ended up stapling over the same area the stock staples and his first staples were. Russell was right, both seatpans were cracked and coming apart all along the rear perimeters, about 1/2" from the lip.
  • So I scrounged around and ended up buying a second seat of seats...one from the dealer and one off the net, and sent those to Russell for the custom seat. I took the RMC seats and threw them out in the sideyard on top of the green waste cans.
  • For the next four months, emails went back and forth between Rick Mayer and me. After initially pushing back several times, he finally agreed to a refund. I sent him the front seat (the rear had been totally destroyed, so I threw it in the garbage).
  • Finally...FINALLY yesterday I get a refund check after months of promises. The check was for $200...half my purchase price. His response in email was that he gave me half because I didn't send him both seats.
RMC's guarantee is stated on his website:

Guarantee:
Simple. Unconditional,
Unlimited, and no fine print.
If I don't make you more comfortable...
I will buy it back!

But in reality, there is fine print on another webpage on his site:

If a refund is requested after the customer has waited 30 days or longer to bring a problem to my attention, I will charge $2.00/day for the rental of my saddle beginning the 31rst day. Exceptions will be made at my discretion for weather/winter deliveries.

While his saddle may work perfectly well for you, be aware that he drags his feet when a refund is requested, and may only pay you $0.50 on the dollar. I recommend you check out the numerous other custom saddle makers before giving business to RMC.

Just my opinion...YMMV...caveat emptor.
+1
You actually got a refund from Him......I never got a thing fronm the crappy service he did me with a seat in '05 on my FJR......It took three times (for adjustments) and he refused to do what i asked him to do......and refused to send me a refund even after we "agreed" to one as I was not satisfied with "his seat" he built.....I will NEVER EVER do business with him EVER again....YMMV buyer beware with that individual.
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #72
jettech01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Oh.....and Russell day long will get ALL of my business in the future.....Got one for the GSA and it is so comfy I can do tank to tank (with my 9 gallon tank) and no issues what so ever....Russell is the place to go for a primo seat......in no way shape or form would I do business with RMC seats ever again even for 1/4 the money Russell charges.....Period.
YMMV
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #73
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bluhduh

Sorry to here of all the problems with Rick Mayer's service. All I can say is that I had a seat redone the winter before last for a Suzuki SV650S. It cost about $275 and the job was done well and on time as promised. Sounds like things have changed for the worse. Too bad.
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #74
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVet
Sorry to here of all the problems with Rick Mayer's service. All I can say is that I had a seat redone the winter before last for a Suzuki SV650S. It cost about $275 and the job was done well and on time as promised. Sounds like things have changed for the worse. Too bad.

If you read the first post, you'd notice it's dated 2003.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #75
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
I had RMC re-do my GS seat this past September. After 5 years, 40k miles it was a bit flapped out. He did a great job while I waited and I like it even better than the first one. It's really too bad that people are still having issues getting in touch with him. The day I was there he had a girl answering phones non-stop.

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote