User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #76
hank-hill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Rick Mayer seats

So if character is a reflexion on quality I would like to share a simple story.
I had paid $354 to reserve a place to have a seat recovered on Sept 2 yet decided to sell the bike in late September since the bike did not fit my style of riding. I than asked Rick Mayer cycle if I could get a refund since no work had started and no material was ordered. Rick Mayer stated refund would be no problem. Well 2 months went by of email after email and I finally received a partial refund. I was quoted a phrase on the order form that did not apply to the way I paid as to why I would not receive a full refund.
So I guess I am out $50 because Rick Mayer cycle feels they deserve my money that they simply did not earn. I do pity people that find ways to justify stealing money they simply do not deserve and am glad I do not share the same values. Rick Mayer please enjoy that money and always remember stealing is wrong no matter how you try to justify it. I on the other hand hope that this post will make at least one person look away from your services. I don't see how a thief would care enough to make a quality product.

Be Well and God bless
JZ
hank-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #77
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Did you get back to Mayer and ask them to correct the problem? It's possible an error was made and they assumed you had paid in whatever way incurs a $50 charge even though you didn't....
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #78
hank-hill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
The clause was about paying with a credit card which he absolutely knew I paid with paypal bank transfer since that is how he did the partial refund. To be honest I was not even expecting that since he kept telling me through 1 1/2 month of emails that the refund was coming everyday. I think if I was not so persistent I would not have seen anything.
Again there was no cost to him I believe he simply wanted to keep my money and find a way to justify it to himself. It am just thankful that I can pay my bill through a honest days work.
hank-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #79
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Missed a chance to earn some good will here.. instead of giving you a full refund cheerfully for no work done, he could have had you coming back for your next seat order.

Check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066

oh well, might as well merge this one to warn others.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #80
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,531
How can this thread go on so long when the other Mayer seat builder doesn't seem to have all these complaints

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #81
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Fighting a similar issue here but still awaiting refund. I ordered my seat on 10-18 and emailed and called to cancel it on the 20th. Up until this point I had not received any response as to a schedule date or confirmation of order. After I canceled I got an email stating a scheduled date for my seat. After 2 more emails and a call that went to voicemail I got an email stating that I would get a refund minus the $50. Still haven't seen refund and needless to say I won't even consider doing any business with this company in the future.
Wish I'd seen this thread before I made the foolish decision to order with these knuckleheads.
dejr2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #82
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Wow GB, six pages in seven years of complaints. Glad you came along an pointed this out.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #83
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank-hill
The clause was about paying with a credit card which he absolutely knew I paid with paypal bank transfer since that is how he did the partial refund. To be honest I was not even expecting that since he kept telling me through 1 1/2 month of emails that the refund was coming everyday. I think if I was not so persistent I would not have seen anything.
Again there was no cost to him I believe he simply wanted to keep my money and find a way to justify it to himself. It am just thankful that I can pay my bill through a honest days work.
FWIW - when a vendor is paid, the merchant gateway (whether CC company or Paypal) takes out a portion of the funds. When a refund is processed, the merchant gateway "adds back in" the percentage they charged the vendor. So, no transaction costs are incurred by the vendor when a refund is processed.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #84
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
FWIW - when a vendor is paid, the merchant gateway (whether CC company or Paypal) takes out a portion of the funds. When a refund is processed, the merchant gateway "adds back in" the percentage they charged the vendor. So, no transaction costs are incurred by the vendor when a refund is processed.
What if the vendor has to order raw material based upon demand? What if the vendor could have sold the spot to someone else if not for the deposit?

If you order a steak dinner at Applebee's and decide before it hits your table that you don't want it, Applebee's should eat all of the cost? That's insane.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #85
fitzf15e
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pissed

I'm also having issues with RMC:
Ordered a seat from Rick during the Redmond rally in July.
They had originally misread my e-mail address on the order form, but we cleared that up the week following the rally,and I was told I'd receive an e-mail from them telling me when to send the seat in.
Then the waiting game began.
The original production date discussed at the rally (late Aug) goes by, no word from Rick.
They charge my CC the remaining balance on the seat in early Sept.
I discover this charge in late Sept, and am not overly happy since I'd never been notified to send the seat in for production.
They realize that they "forgot" to send me an e-mail with my production date (but never explain why they charged the balance to my CC without ever trying to notify me there were any problems)
I sent them the seat a month ago, and am told to expect a one and a half to two week turn time.
Since then, I have received three separate shipping notifications from RMS, though the seat has yet to actually ship.
On two of those occasions I got questions from RMC after the supposed shipping date asking "what are the colors for the seat cover". After the first time they'd asked this question I e-mailed both a specific answer and pictures (since my request was to match the stock seat colors/design, how difficult can that be). The second time I called and left a message, but didn't hear back.
Since they've missed their third shipping date, have had the seat for a month now, and don't seem to be spring loaded to provide any kind of customer service I'm already finding myself very frustrated by a seat I haven't even gotten to ride yet.
fitzf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #86
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,926
I was impressed by their quality when I first saw their seats at the Johnson City rally. But when I asked what the differences were between Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer seats I got a very embittered story about some ancient family dispute. The anger was enough to make me tuck my Visa card back into my wallet.

Reading threads like this reminds me of the bullet I dodged...
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #87
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
What if the vendor has to order raw material based upon demand? What if the vendor could have sold the spot to someone else if not for the deposit?

If you order a steak dinner at Applebee's and decide before it hits your table that you don't want it, Applebee's should eat all of the cost? That's insane.
Alright, I'll bite....

I understood post #78 (which I quoted) to mean that the reason he (the customer) was given for not receiving a full refund was because he used a credit card which incurred fees to the vendor. My point in posting was to point out that this is a lie.

You mention the scenario about the cost of ordering supplies for the seat. OK...... here's my response:

The guy is in the motorcycle seat business. IMO, if he doesn't have a supply of materials on-hand, I wouldn't want to do business with him anyway. Adequate supply of raw materials is an indication that he's invested in his business.

But, if you look at post #76, he posted "I than asked Rick Mayer cycle if I could get a refund since no work had started and no material was ordered. Rick Mayer stated refund would be no problem." As indicated, no material had been ordered.

And, sorry, but your comparison to Applebee's is just silly. Applebee's raw material (literally) has a shelf life. I doubt saddle-making materials go bad within hours, days, weeks or even months. So, unless the customer wanted some god-awful color that RMC could never use, in my opinion, he shouldn't charge the customer for the raw materials either.

In regards to "saving the spot" - if he's in that high of a demand, then I'm sure he could've found some grateful soul to take it.

But guess what? Our opinions don't matter! Here's what it says on his site (as of 10/29/2010):
"We consider an order form a binding legal contract. We incur costs the moment an order form is received. If an order is canceled for any reason prior to 7 days before its assigned start date, $50 is charged against any monies collected. Cancellation requests are not accepted less than 7 days before the start date or after production has begun."

So, RMC was within his stated guidelines for holding the $50.

I'm curious as to what costs he incurs "the moment an order form is received". He sounds like a greedy bastard to me. I hope he's better at making saddles than running a business.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #88
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
I hope he's better at making saddles than running a business.
I suspect that he is. I have one of his seats and it's really great. I had no problems with my order, and knew ahead of time that if I wanted to cancel it would cost me money. Fortunately, I didn't want to cancel, and I absolutely love the work he did.

That being said, I think that organization is not a strong suit for Rick. My suspicion is that his paperwork is a mess. I say this because several weeks after I got my saddle back from his shop, I received a second one. I was nice enough to let them know about it, and they had UPS pick it up. Someone had to wait too long for their work as a consequence. The funny thing is that he has you write your name and location on the bottom of the seat pan before sending it in, most likely to prevent this from happening, but it did not really work for that other guy.

I think Rick might do better as an employee or contract worker for a custom saddle shop than as an owner. The actual work is really very nice, and probably the best 250 bucks (he was running a special) I've ever spent on my bike.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #89
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38
How can this thread go on so long when the other Mayer seat builder doesn't seem to have all these complaints
That is a misconception on your part. There are quite a few horror stories from the other one also. Their father was a talented seat builder. They on the other hand are just full of themselves.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #90
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
I suspect that he is. I have one of his seats and it's really great. I had no problems with my order, and knew ahead of time that if I wanted to cancel it would cost me money. Fortunately, I didn't want to cancel, and I absolutely love the work he did.

That being said, I think that organization is not a strong suit for Rick. My suspicion is that his paperwork is a mess. I say this because several weeks after I got my saddle back from his shop, I received a second one. I was nice enough to let them know about it, and they had UPS pick it up. Someone had to wait too long for their work as a consequence. The funny thing is that he has you write your name and location on the bottom of the seat pan before sending it in, most likely to prevent this from happening, but it did not really work for that other guy.

I think Rick might do better as an employee or contract worker for a custom saddle shop than as an owner. The actual work is really very nice, and probably the best 250 bucks (he was running a special) I've ever spent on my bike.
Reminds me of a book my bro-in-law (a very talented CPA) gave me a few years ago called "The e-Myth". It's related to the myth that just because you're good at something doesn't mean you'll be successful running a business doing that something.