Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #91
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
What if the vendor has to order raw material based upon demand? What if the vendor could have sold the spot to someone else if not for the deposit?

If you order a steak dinner at Applebee's and decide before it hits your table that you don't want it, Applebee's should eat all of the cost? That's insane.
I'm not sure it matters all that much. There's a big picture here. He's working in a small niche market. The internet is alive and well. People talk, and they talk alot of shit.

It seems like eating $50 on occasion would be the cost of doing business. He could be known as the guy that makes great seats, but is a shitty business man that takes care of his customers when he makes a mistake. He's known as the opposite.

There's another vendor on this site known for the same business practices peddling equipment. Too many stories floating around for me to spend any money with either of these clowns.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #92
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
FWIW, I've got two Rick Mayer saddles and love them. However, I do look forward to trying a Russell one of these days. Maybe on my DR650!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #93
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
I suspect that he is. I have one of his seats and it's really great. I had no problems with my order, and knew ahead of time that if I wanted to cancel it would cost me money. Fortunately, I didn't want to cancel, and I absolutely love the work he did.

That being said, I think that organization is not a strong suit for Rick. My suspicion is that his paperwork is a mess. I say this because several weeks after I got my saddle back from his shop, I received a second one. I was nice enough to let them know about it, and they had UPS pick it up. Someone had to wait too long for their work as a consequence. The funny thing is that he has you write your name and location on the bottom of the seat pan before sending it in, most likely to prevent this from happening, but it did not really work for that other guy.

I think Rick might do better as an employee or contract worker for a custom saddle shop than as an owner. The actual work is really very nice, and probably the best 250 bucks (he was running a special) I've ever spent on my bike.
I think you nailed it. He's a good guy, even met him a few times. I really liked my seat he did, but it was delivered late. Turn around on a slight "mod" was really quick. I would order a seat from him again, but I would also know that it will run late.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,781
My ex and I ordered RM seats within a week of each other, hers an R1200ST and mine an R1200GS. We were told a max of 6 weeks. At ten weeks we were told a few days. At 12 weeks we were told 2 more weeks. He promised a $100 refund for her, and a free seat cover and seat conditioner for both of us. We finally received the seats at about 15 weeks, no covers or conditioner, and no apologies!

The seats were OK, though the die faded fast, and the edges were pretty rough in less than a year. Good comfort, very poor customer service. My off the shelf Sargent seat now has nearly 80K miles on it and looks better, and was just as comfortable, for a lot less money.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #95
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
I think Rick might do better as an employee or contract worker for a custom saddle shop than as an owner. The actual work is really very nice.
I'm just coming off of a RMC seat order, and I agree with JDLuke's suggestion here.

The Good:
Sale price and flat $35.00 shipping fee. I saved $150.00 off the normal seat build price. I saved an add'l. $15.00 or so by not having having to pay the actual return shipping cost.

Appearance and build quality of the custom seat. What RMC does with a motorcycle seat takes skill, period.

Rick. I spoke with him on the phone (finally!) (see below), and he couldn't have been more knowledgable, articulate or polite.

The Not So Good:
Communication habits. I'm convinced that RMC's e-mail address and telephone number were established for the exclusive convenience of RMC, period. Cold war spies would be impressed with RMC's radio silence skills. Their phone goes to VM after two quick rings. Returned calls? Yeah, right.

Details. The stepped portion of the seat, where the pilot sits, was not moved as far back as I wanted and as Rick had preemptively suggested he would do for me. The stepped portion is higher and flatter, and it is a big improvement for me in terms of posture and comfort. It's just that I gave enough information for a 100% improvement to the seat, and got ~85% in return. It isn't cost effective for me to chase this any further, not when actual shipping each way is $50.00+.

The Bad:
Shipping. Holy Jeebus. The "box" used to return my custom saddle to me had obviously gone through the ground shipping conduit several times before. There was a battered piece of cardboard taped on top; I guess it was supposed to serve as a cover piece to protect the tattered flaps of the original carton. The internal cushioning materials (bunched up paper) was stuffed in and around the seat itself with no obvious forethought, and the external packing tape was applied in the most haphazard manner I've ever seen. It's a miracle that the box held together and that the seat was not damaged whilst in transit. I also received a phantom tracking number several days in advance of receiving the second, genuine tracking number. Weird.

Anyway, here we are:

Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #96
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,177
I will stay loyal to Russell. They built a custom seat for me incorporating my suggestions from the orthopedic seat coushins for people with broken tailbones (like me). That saddle was freaking awesome as was the communication/feedback and time .
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #97
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man
Details. The stepped portion of the seat, where the pilot sits, was not moved as far back as I wanted and as Rick had preemptively suggested he would do for me. The stepped portion is higher and flatter, and it is a big improvement for me in terms of posture and comfort. It's just that I gave enough information for a 100% improvement to the seat, and got ~85% in return. It isn't cost effective for me to chase this any further, not when actual shipping each way is $50.00+.
That is almost precisely my experience with the Rick Mayer seat I got for my V-Strom.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #98
Whaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
My experience with Rick has been fantastic. The first seat he built was for my RT in 2004. It was a mail-in job, and he did what he promised, when he promised, and I loved the seat. The next seat was in 2008, and I did it as a ride-in for my R1200GSA. I showed up the day before he was due to leave for the races at Laguna Seca. He built a wonderful seat, and then invited me to join him and the other guys for the weekend at the races, something I would have loved to do, but couldn't manage because of scheduling. The following summer I decided that he was right -- that I should have covered my saddle in leather -- so I made an appointment to recover the saddle on the way to my niece's wedding. When I got to his shop he wasn't there. It was immediately apparent that there had been a scheduling screw-up. His daughter, a sharp kid who was about to graduate law school, had made the appointment forgetting he was scheduled to be away. They got Rick on the phone, he and I talked, and one of the other guys in the shop tweaked my seat for me and recovered it in leather. They apologized for the error, gave me a fair discount for the hassle, and sent me on my way. I love the seat -- just like the last two he built for me.

Rick is a basically a two-man-show, with a capable daughter who occasionally helps with scheduling and office-work, a capable guy who works the sewing machine, and some extra help managing the basics, like seat disassembly and the like. When his life is turned upside down, as it was when he crashed and fractured his pelvis and other major parts, there's undoubtedly some slippage, but he's a good guy, he builds great seats, and he's honest and fair. I'm about to get another seat built, and I'll turn to Rick again.

If you appreciate quality work, you like supporting good people in their efforts to build a small business, and you're not going to jump off the roof if your custom seat takes an extra week in the mail, Rick is a great bet. (Of course, if you do a ride-in appointment, you'll be able to see your seat being built and get a tour of his home -- and it will be done on the date and time agreed upon. You'll also have a chance to ride the seat before he stitches it up, so he can add, remove or reshape before you leave. My seat was perfect both times, so I didn't need any tweaks.)
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #99
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
That being said, I think that organization is not a strong suit for Rick. My suspicion is that his paperwork is a mess.
Understatement of the century!!!!

He conveniently "doesn't have any record" of my purchasing a seat from him 3 years ago. Long back story here, so don't jump to conclusions on the lapse of time, but he's now using this as a basis to not refund my money, despite his constant offer to do so throughout those three years if I was not satisfied.

Details to follow once this has been cleared up. Oh, and there's a "custom seat for an 11XX" for sale on ebay right now. I'm sure that the "11xx" will really do a lot with the search engines

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #100
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
I am having a realy hard time dealing with Rick Mayer.
Anyone thinking of dealing with him should dig some on the ST1300 formus.
I wish I had never sent him a dime.
Just wanted to quote this, seeing as it reflects my opinion exactly.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #101
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank-hill View Post
Rick Mayer please enjoy that money and always remember stealing is wrong no matter how you try to justify it. I on the other hand hope that this post will make at least one person look away from your services.
Hey! He stole from you, too! Welcome to the club

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #102
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I guess I got lucky, his seat fit my ass perfectly.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #103
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Originally Posted by Sparko
I am having a realy hard time dealing with Rick Mayer.
Anyone thinking of dealing with him should dig some on the ST1300 formus.
I wish I had never sent him a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post
Just wanted to quote this, seeing as it reflects my opinion exactly.
Yup, me too, though I never tried to follow up. Several weeks longer and lots of attempted calls finally resulted in a best up box that held an improvement over stock airhead but no great shakes.

Skip Rick Mayer.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #104
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

I took the time to write up my experiences with Rick. Yes, that's how frustrating and, at times, unbelievable it was. I put it on my website so as not to drone on and on here on ADV

Rick Mayer Rant

One of the best lines that he used was to compare my wanting my money back to him having bought the 10 motorcycle helmets on his shelf. He's not asking for a refund from the vendor just because he doesn't like 9 of them. What on earth does a custom motorcycle seat, made to MY specification, have to do with buying an off-the-shelf helmet? I can't help it if he doesn't have any common sense when shopping

Anyway, that's my story and I hope that the word gets out not to expect anything remotely resembling "customer service" from him

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #105
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,246
Did you happen to notice the date Fish started this thread, Jan 2003.

The word has not gotten out and it would appear that he believes that it is the rest of world that is the problem and he is not.

And yes I'm a slow learner because I had the silly thought the brother could not be as bad. WTFWIT! I waited while his helper redid my seat and pointed out that it wasn't right at the time and was told that it would brake in. After a few thousand miles I went back to have it adjusted. At that time I was told that there would be charge to fix what they did wrong in the first place and that he could not see the problem. Then the excuses started as to why could not shape it correctly and in the same breath telling me he was there to make it right for me. The end result being I have the distinction of being the first person to be given a refund by Rocky (so he claimed). I now have over 60k mi. on that seat after I cut his crap off, shaped my own foam and put the waaaay over priced leather cover back on.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote