Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #121
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
OR you could use his brother Bill.......... I did a ride in and they built me an awesome saddle. We made multiple adjustments to the foam shape to get it perfect before covering. Adjust, go ride for 20 min or so, come back adjust, ride again. Fine tuning at it's best!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #122
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Twice the comfort, twice the quality and half the risk of getting screwed.

Everybody tries to save a dime using anybody but Russell... I make a trip from Wisconsin to Idaho and back a couple times a year. 900 mile days, nothing beats a real Russell...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #123
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts1050 View Post
Another day gone by and another email from Rick. "It's boxed and labeled-I will send you the track later today". Guess what...
Ha! Count yourself lucky that he bothered to email you

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #124
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
OR you could use his brother Bill.......... I did a ride in and they built me an awesome saddle. We made multiple adjustments to the foam shape to get it perfect before covering. Adjust, go ride for 20 min or so, come back adjust, ride again. Fine tuning at it's best!

Bill is the father and had a brilliant reputation. Rocky is the brother that took over Bill's business. It's another case of the genes of a truly good & talented guy did not get completely passed down.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #125
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 295
I got an email today after informing him that I put a dispute on the payment. He said that 's OK. He said he's shipping the seat anyway and when I have to please remove the dispute. I agreed with that. He's going through some personal problems which I can commiserate with so I'm going to back off with anymore comments here.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #126
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Rocky and his screw are great people and they make some of the best saddles around, very committed to quality but also with a deep emphasis in Ergonomics, highly recommended..

You may not know about my little company but when I was running it I collaborate with Rocky in a few projects for clients (as I did with other saddle companys) and he was always very receptive and also willing to share tons of his experience..

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 04:32 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #127
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Rocky and his screw are great people and they make some of the best saddles around, very committed to quality but also with a deep emphasis in Ergonomics, highly recommended..
Good choice of words. I had the same experience with them years ago. Seat arriving 2 months after it was promised (we have a short enough riding season!) Refusal to reply to emails or answer the phone. Screw indeed!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #128
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyr View Post
Good choice of words. I had the same experience with them years ago. Seat arriving 2 months after it was promised (we have a short enough riding season!) Refusal to reply to emails or answer the phone. Screw indeed!

Opss sorry about that my stupid Ingles still sucks, is suppose to read crew, team whatever a bunch of people that work together.

Sorry to hear about Rocky's trouble he used to be very busy but also organize on his timing and delivery's..
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #129
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Quote:
Opss sorry about that my stupid Ingles still sucks, is suppose to read crew, team whatever a bunch of people that work together.

Sorry to hear about Rocky's trouble he used to be very busy but also organize on his timing and delivery's..
Rocky is not Rick Mayer, it's his brother..

Bill was the father, Rocky's name is Bill Jr. This thread is not about Bill Mayer Saddle (Rocky's seat company), it's about his brother Rick Mayer Cycle, just to set the record straight and not besmirch Bill Jr (Rocky)'s reputation.

Btw, Russell Day Long was the seat originally developed by Bill Sr. and he sold the business to Russell.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #130
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

Bill was the father, Rocky's name is Bill Jr. This thread is not about Bill Mayer Saddle (Rocky's seat company), it's about his brother Rick Mayer Cycle, just to set the record straight and not besmirch Bill Jr (Rocky)'s reputation.

Btw, Russell Day Long was the seat originally developed by Bill Sr. and he sold the business to Russell.
Thanks you senor Gadget, a even bigger confusion and this time I don't even have the excuse of the English..

Sorry about such a big mistake..
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #131
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Thanks you senor Gadget, a even bigger confusion and this time I don't even have the excuse of the English..

Sorry about such a big mistake..
No association with any of those folks, but I'd put in paypal complaints, get my money and choose elsewhere.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #132
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,264
Fish, Selma Hayek & Anna K

Quote:

Speaking about seat covers, which one of the Mayer brothers has/had the wife, girlfriend, crew that looks like Anna Kournikova?
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #133
Jimznc!
Been Riding Longtime

Oddometer: 20
RMC Woes!!! & Delays!!!!

I had one on my last RT. It was great! I know he has moved, but all I have gotten back from him has been reasons for delays. Sorry, but waiting for 4 months past a build date just plain sucks! So far another promised shipment date has passed again This will be the last seat with him. I am actually contemplating a used Corbin, I was unhappy with the Sargent. Bike is due for inspection too. Looks like i will be riding on towels!!!!

J
Jimznc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #134
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:

Sorry my bad, I didn't mean to infer that Rocky (Bill Jr.) was his dad, Bill Sr.

The best way to get a good seat is to go to the shop and have it custom fit.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #135
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 480
I stopped by Rick Mayer's shop last May, on the way back to Seattle from San Jose, and got a custom saddle while I waited.

It took a little longer than I thought, but I was third in line that day... got there at 9 am and left around 1 pm. From what I saw, and I watched my saddle get built and even took some pictures, his assistants build the 'core' of the top cover, while Rick pretty much did the rest of the seat... cutting away the original foam, shaping it, adding new foam and shaping it, etc., then cutting the side pieces and the top pieces and stitching everything together.

My butt was extremely sore from the factory seat... I rode from San Jose up to Anderson the night before, and had ridden down from Seattle the prior weekend... so that I was stopping about every hour. I was able to ride for a full tank of gas on the way back without stopping. I've ridden from Seattle to Whistler BC (about 300 miles) on the saddle without any issues or problems.

I feel I got a great seat at a very good price, and since I was on the way through Anderson anyway it wasn't a big deal to wait a few hours. I can't speak about Russell or Bill Mayer seats, or their operations, but Rick is basically a one-man shop... and if I were going to pick up a saddle and could stop by that's what I'd do. I don't think he's dishonest, but maybe a little scatter-brained instead. Of course, that's no excuse for not getting back to folks.