User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
toolai OP
toolai

Oddometer: 2
Northern Washington to North Idaho

I am taking my first 3 day+ riding trip. Plan is to head up I-5, cut across the N. Cascade highway, then head across the state to Priest Lake, ID. Anyone had any experience on these roads or know of any sweet dual sport riding through here? I will be riding my 800gs, camping, and just having a great time. Going solo! Hoping to leave the tarmac as much as possible.
toolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thumb

Good luck, I'm planning a similar run on that route starting monday.. All pavement as I'm riding a SV650 this go around. Plan is to make Glacier Park or there abouts. Look for the dark gray SV, adorned with an ADV sticker or two and a rider with a white XD3.

Have a great time!

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,484
Maybe too far south but, the Lolo Motorway, and the Magruder Corridor and all kinds or dirt-gravel around Hell's Canyon.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
DJ1
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 206
We really like riding Idaho HWY 3. We usually get on at Rose lake off of I-90 and head south, after St Maries you are in and out of NF with lots of side roads to take.
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
on your way to hwy 20, get off at Arlington and head over hwy 530 and then up to north mt lookout just pass the mill in darrington. the views are spectacular. if you stop at the ranger station they will give you directions. motos ride past the gate.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
ceebaileys
Shield Manufacturer

Oddometer: 185
Wow it's going to be a beautiful scenery! Hope the weather is nice as well... Ride safe! =)
www.facebook.com/ceebaileys
ceebaileys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolai View Post
Anyone had any experience on these roads or know of any sweet dual sport riding through here?
Follow Hwy 20 across the Northern end of the state. When you get to Colville consult your map and search for the roads that lead over to Metaline Falls and Hwy 31 on the Pond Oreille river. I forget the name of the road but it takes you the route past the little Pend Oreille lakes. Make your way out of Metaline Falls to Sullivan lake which is just to the east. Follow the dirt roads and signs that lead you to Priest Lake and the little berg of Nordman. If you make the wrong turn you'll end up in the Salmo Wilderness of North Eastern WA. That's a fine ride as well. If that happens just turn around at the end of the road and make your way back to the correct road that leads to Priest and Nordman. Stop at the Roosevelt grove of ancient cedars before you get to Nordman. There are a lot of dual sport opportunities all around Priest Lake. Most require some local knowledge or a good forest service map but if you go up the east side of the lake to the northern part you can just follow the road as far back into the hills as you want to go.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Are you looking for dirt or do you want to stay on pavement? There are MANY miles of forest service roads in the area that offer some great riding. Best of all, the global warming is melting out of the hills pretty quickly (finally!). If you follow RonSs directions to Nordman, you can go north, loop around Priest Lake and head south down the east side. Further south from there, I recommend forest service road 278 along the south shore of Lake Pend Orielle, there is a nice little campground at Whisky Rock.

How long have you got to play?

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 07-07-2011 at 03:15 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Further south from there, I recommed forest service road 278 along the south shore of Lake Pend Orielle, there is a nice little campground at Whisky Rock.
I'll second this. It's another very nice route. As the Renegade illuded to, it's all about the time you have. You could spend all summer in the back country of Eastern WA, Eastern OR, Idaho and Western Montana and never begin to see it all.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolai View Post
...Hoping to leave the tarmac as much as possible.
I missed that part the first time around...reading comprehension problem. So, how long have you got, any special spots in mind and when will you be out this way? Snow is still an issue in some of the highest ridges, but getting better by the day. You could spend weeks just checking out forest service roads in Idaho alone.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Billmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Magruder Snowed in still

I saw mention of Magruder corridor which is worth the ride, but I just got back from there over the long weekend and ton's of Snow drifts 20 ft tall and lot's of trees still down. Only made it 14 miles from Elk City and had to turn around. Pass from Red Rocks to Shoups still close too
Billmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Make sure you stop at Metaline Falls for lunch at Cathy's? cafe, the pie is homemade and awesome. +1 on the ride from Sullivan lk. to the Priest Lk. area a very scenic ride for sure. 3 of us did 919 miles form Winthrop to Priest Lk. and back last year. Your gonna have a blast! Enjoy!
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 217
The North Cascade Hwy 20 is great from the coast to the Okanogan Valley, but heading east from there another great option is north of Hwy 20. Head north on Hwy 97 to Oroville, then head east on Chesaw Road. Stay on it until you get to Torodo Creek Rd then turn left. Torodo Creek Rd eventually turns into Kettle River Rd which takes you to Curlew. From Curlew head east on Boulder Creek Rd. You'll pop out on State 395 just south of Orient. You can then head south and pick up Hwy 20 at Kettle Falls.

We did this route last weekend and the pavement is good, lots of twisties and virtually zero traffic. I prefer it to Hwy 20 on this section. If you're a history buff, take a detour into Molson, just east of Oroville.

Wayne
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote