Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #46
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Great ride report and it looks like you had a great time.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #47
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
After the two days in the mountains we rode into Mulege on a high no drug could ever compete with. But we were pretty wiped too. At least I was....
We took rooms at the Mulege Inn and decided to stay for New Years Eve, which meant that the next day would be beach day. Perfect! A day of R n R. The only beach I had stopped at so far was in Gonzaga, and the water temp there was too cold for swimming. It would be better here.
My favorite beach on the baja. Santispec
[IMG][/IMG]
But the Germans wanted to try further down so we rode down to Recusion or something like that. We parked the bikes and set our pasty white bodies on the beach to fry.
[IMG][/IMG]
At 3PM it was midnite in Germany so we helped their friends back home bring in the new year Baja style....
[IMG][/IMG]
Tonite was our nite to celebrate. I had not had a nite of drinking yet. I was usually so exhausted by the time I got off my bike that I ate, relaxed for a bit and was in bed early. God I'm gettin old!
But tonite we were ready to party....
[IMG][/IMG]
Even our new friend Pancho was enjoying the celebrations
[IMG][/IMG]
I never knew our hotel was all lit up until.....I was all lit up
[IMG][/IMG]
We did not get up early the next day.
And by the time we had the bikes loaded and had sobered up it was early afternoon. So we decided to ride to loreto and stay there. We had met a cyclist from Switzerland in Guerro Negro and then saw him again in San Ignacio and then here, just South of Loreto.
Marcus....you're crazy man! But I hope you made it!
[IMG][/IMG]
I had picked up some kind of 'bug' along the way and was not doing well. I am not sure where or from what but I was spending a lot of quiet time in small rooms. It was nasty!
We had planned to ride to La Paz together thru the dessert and over the mountains to Cortez, but I chickened out. My guts were killing me,and I couldn't possibly carry enough toilet paper with me for two days in the dessert. So I highballed it along the most boring stretch of the baja to La Paz. I got there a day before the Germans and after a nite in a nice hotel, La Paz is nasty expensive too, I was good to go. Well I mean I was feeling better. Maybe I should say...I was good 'not' to go?
But I left the Germans word that I was heading out on my own for Cabo and left them instructions where I'd be and how to get in touch. I couldn't wait, I was itchin to ride...and I was tired of pavement. I wanted dirt!
So I took the road to Las Planes and then down to los Barilles. This was an incredible ride...
Lotsa sand to start
[IMG][/IMG]
and the mountains getting closer....yikes, another mountain crossing! But this time alone. With nobody to help pick my bike up!
[IMG][/IMG]
No problemo, Right?
[IMG][/IMG]
i want that beach....
[IMG][/IMG]
way down there
[IMG][/IMG]
but I had some riding to do first. The road was getting harder the further in I went
[IMG][/IMG]
A lot of up and down steep windy roads, but I could only stop on the flats
[IMG][/IMG]
The beach I was looking for was not accessible from this road but I really didn't care anymore. This road was unbelievable. It snaked itself around the mountains following the coastline. A real pleasant surprise....hope the Germans take this route.
[IMG][/IMG]
this road was getting crazy with steep sections and hairpin turns, fallen rocks to negotiate....good thing I didn't have any traffic to worry about
[IMG][/IMG]
WTF? A truck...with a load of kids in the back? WoW! these locals are quite adventurous
[IMG][/IMG]
One of the nicest stretches of road I had been on. Something about following the coastline that I find so beautiful.
[IMG][/IMG]
So after a few hours riding thru the mountain pass and along the coast you come down to the beach....and someone's got a place set up. You definitely do not want to forget the milk when you live here!
[IMG][/IMG]
This beach was gorgeous....I think I'll get my bike and ride it down the coast for a few miles.
[IMG][/IMG]
NOT! Such a noob!!!
[IMG][/IMG]
The day was a long one and I was still a long ways from Cabo. And it was getting dark fast. The east cape road from Cabo Pulmo I had driven before by car and knew it was pretty rough but wholy crap this washboard was the worst I'd been on. As well You had 'traffic' on this road.
[IMG][/IMG]
I was clipping along pretty good trying to soften the washboard effect as well as make time. I was so used to riding these kinds of road WITHOUT traffic, I came around a turn kinda wide and shit! A truck! I ditched the bike and flew over the handlebars all in an effort to NOT get run over. The fukin truck didn't even stop to see if I was alright...which I was, but my tank bag was torn off!
Nevertheless, I was not hurt and after MacGuyvering my tank bag back in place I continued on in the dark to cabo.
[IMG][/IMG]
The east cape road is not very much fun in the dark and by the time I reached Cabo my nerves were frazzled. Fortunately for me I have a buddy who has just the cure for a tired, frazzled, baja biker.....
[IMG][/IMG]
Ahhh yes, that's quite the reward for making it all the way to the tip!
Thanks Scotty!

I reached the tip with mixed emotions. On one hand, I was happy to have done it. Ridden 'all the way' down. But then on the other hand, it was all north from here. Something I hadn't given any thought to until now.

My panniers had taken quite the beating getting to this point as well. My brackets were cracked and would need some welding for sure if they were to last the whole way north. And then I could use a new back tire as well. I was totally shocked by how fast the baja chews thru tires. I was averaging 5000 miles on a rear at home. Here I had less the 2000 miles on it and it was getting bad. No way I could make it back on this tire.
I went to 'bmw' shop in cabo...no tires! huh? They don't stock them. I still shake my head at that one. I was however lucky enough to find Ed next door and he did a great job welding my boxes back in shape and securing and straightening everything out.
Thx Ed!
Now it was time to wait for the Germans to get here...

gsstampeder screwed with this post 02-06-2010 at 09:15 AM
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #48
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Thumb Great road from Los Planes to Los Barriles then East Cape

I rode the same route back in Oct 08 it was the highlight of my trip. Check out Canyon de Las Zorras near Santiago on your way back north. Awesome fresh water swimming spot. Ride East Cape again in daylight to Los Barriles and then check out Canyon de Las Zorras.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #49
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Yeah, I've been on that road too. Looks like you were very close to Cabo Pulmo in that pic. Excellent reading and much thanks for taking the time to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #50
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

I looked at that canyon de las zorras and will definitely check it out next trip. Can you ride your bike right to the waterfalls or do you still have to hike in?

Once in Cabo I had all the creature comforts of home. Including email and phone. I wished I had neither. I made a call home and received news that I did not want to hear. And I got sick....literally. My body started aching and when I woke up I had a wicked cold. Chest and head. Fortunately I was in a good place to recouperate. So I stayed in bed for two days...kinda.
[IMG][/IMG]
The Germans had arrived and took full advantage of the digs. Pool, spa, fishing boat...you name it, it was there to be enjoyed. While I stayed in bed. By the third day I was up and ready to ride. So we did.
But leaving my buddies place in Cabo...was tough!
[IMG][/IMG]
I wanted to do the full loop (stupid me - must have been the meds) So I took the HIGHWAY to Todo Santos with my buddy who keeps his hyermotard in cabo to play on
[IMG][/IMG]
When in todos Santos....
[IMG][/IMG]
The Germans took the east cape to Los Barilles and Las Planes on in to La Paz. What was I thinking? We had talked about taking the ferry from LaPaz to the mainland and seeing Copper Canyon. I was torn which to do.
Thomas had some battery issues and thought it best to get it looked at in La Paz before ferrying across to the mainland
[IMG][/IMG]
I would love to see Copper Canyon and travelling with the Germans, I knew I would be in good company....but I also wanted to do the trip back solo.....I teetered back and forth and the morning of...I decided to go on my own. My solo trip was back on! So I parted ways with my German friends and left La Paz for Loreto that morning. So long my friends!
I took a coupla detours on route to Loreto....just cause they were there and I could
[IMG][/IMG]
Now I'm not so stubborn that I won't do any pavement, especially if it looks like this
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I hit Loreto and looked for a nicer place to stay then when I was here with the germans. I wanted to stay in the area for a few days and explore the mountains.....
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #51
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I'm in! All too familiar, but always great. I wanna go back.
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #52
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Ten minute hike

Hey gsstampeder its just a 10 minute hike in to the waterfall at Canyon de Los Zorros. Enjoy the trip home.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #53
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,271
Great ride report! Finding all the dirt roads to ride didnt take too much investigating? Ive been to Baja a couple times but just on street bikes. I will take my DRZe 400 the next time and make it more adventurous.
Thanks for all the work on the report!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #54
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I found a great hotel in Loreto, more like a boutique style hotel/hostle. Called La Damiana Inn
[IMG][/IMG]
I liked it so much I stayed twice. It has a communal Kitchen and the owners, Debra and Herardo are the some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Herardo lost his legs in an auto accident not that long ago but he definitely did not lose his zest for life. Or his sense of humour. He used to race motos and had a pretty nice beemer himself. Cooked me breakfast on my last morning there. And his wife Debra joined me for dinner the first nite....just cause she could tell I was lonely. Actually, she was trying to give me directions to a restaurant and ended up walking me over. So I shared my pizza with her.
Debra and Herardo
[IMG][/IMG]
I had saw on the map of a small fishing village Agua Verde just south of loreto. I asked herardo about it and he told me it had a very nice sandy beach but the drive in could be hairy. Perfect, I like hairy. So i decided to check it out....
[IMG][/IMG]
There are two beach sections actually. the first beach you only cross over one mountain range...for the second you cross over another. Guess which one I went to....
[IMG][/IMG]
pretty rugged terrain too
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
but absolutely gorgeous
[IMG][/IMG]
with many steep rocky sections
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
when it got really scary they kinda paved, or stoned the road.....
more to come on this ride to the beach....
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #55
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,421
gsstampeder, what a killer ride! Your report is awesome. That is so cool to meet the Germans, make friends, ride your ass off and party! Congratulations on surviving those ravines and river beds!
You clinched the deal - I have got to do BAJA!
Thanks man!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #56
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Somehow I thought I had more pics of the ride into Agua Verde, but I guess not. I will just say that it is definitely worthwhile.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
As I mentioned there are two ranges involved if you wish to reach the fishing village, I never even made it there myself. Not all the way at least.
After coming out of the first range you reach a gorgeous sandy beach but there are a few houses in the area, so I kept following the road until I started to climb up and over another range. Nothing too serious or scary, just more beautiful vistas and tight narrow, rocky, steep sections. And then when you come down the other side there is a wide open playground of sand and cactus brush to pass thru until you reach this -
A perfect place to reflect, or solve all the worlds problems....or just drink beer and swim naked in the ocean
[IMG][/IMG]
I hung out on the beach and took my panniers off my bike and tried to ride the sand...but the bike was just too heavy - still - or I just don't get it! Likely the latter. But I had a journal of sorts I was trying to keep and I wrote in this til my fingers bled.....And then it was time to get out. Yikes, I had been so absorbed in the day and staying lazy I hadn't noticed it had gotten a bit late. I did not want to be riding back in the dark. And I wanted to get some pics that I missed taking on the drive in....When I got to my bike and tried to push it back....i had driven it pretty deep in the sand...I noticed my headlight had worked itself loose and had melted the plastic housing that should hold it in place . GREAT! Now I have no headlite. I got packed in record time and wasted none driving thru the passes. I made it thru the mountains no ploblemo and then I had a few miles of pretty straight, graded, gravel roads before reaching the highway.
And i was highballin 'er! I had to make it back to Loreto before dark....I was likely doing 60-70 down a straight stretch with my dark dirty visor on when I came to a sharp turn....unexpectedly. Shit! There was no way I was making this turn. This is my account of what happened...
I locked the back brake, and watched the rear tire start to slide out beside me. I was going down and it was happening at high speed. My first thought was where am i going to go off? There was no way I could make this turn. I knew that....and there were huge cactus trees along the edge of the road and I knew that crashing into these would not be good. My bike was going down almost in slow motion...while traveling 60+ mph when, first my foot, then my footpeg caught in the road and suddenly I was jerked upright and heading straight down the road. WTF? Really? Cool!
I finally caught my breath and slowed to a crawl while I tried to get my sphincter to relax from it's ultra-puckered state. I have no idea how I avoided this certain disaster...other then my guardian angel was not ready to witness my death. Not like this, not here.....I slowed down as much as I could and finally made it back to the highway in good time. I was back in Loreto with my friends at La Damiana.....sharing my story.
I just wish I knew how I did that!
The following morning I said goodbye to Debra and Herardo and off I went. They had told me of another beautiful beach between Loreto and Mulege, so I figured I'd check it out too. I like beaches!
[IMG][/IMG]
The ride in tho was pretty tuff. Lotsa sand. Deep sand. And my bike was down many times. Again!
And then just more Baja dirt
[IMG][/IMG]
I hung out on the beach and ate my lunch, drank a coupla beers and wrote in my journal. I was really getting in to this beach-bum life
And with beaches like this-no wonder
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
If I had more food (read) I would have stayed here for the nite...but I knew of another beach not far from here that had both food and beer....so I headed out and rode on to Santispec. And set up camp....for the nite?[IMG][/IMG]

gsstampeder screwed with this post 02-06-2010 at 09:26 AM
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #57
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder
The following morning I said goodbye to Debra and Herardo and off I went. They had told me of another beautiful beach between Loreto and Mulege, so I figured I'd check it out too. I like beaches!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like a nice one, care to drop a name????

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #58
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Cry

" My bike was going down almost in slow motion...while traveling 60+ mph when, first my foot, then my footpeg caught in the road and suddenly I was jerked upright and heading straight down the road. WTF? Really? Cool! I finally caught my breath and slowed to a crawl while I tried to get my sphincter to relax from it's ultra-puckered state. I have no idea how I avided this certain disaster...other then my guardian angel was not ready to witness my death."

Back in the mid 60's Sammy Tanner rode flat track for C.R. Axtell. In the pits on a very early ride, Sammy's then wife said to Axtell "Did you see Sammy fall?". Axtell said "No, but I did see him slow down in the south corner".

What happened was, Sammy slid out and turned the wheel into the turn until he slowed enough and then he straightened the wheel and the bike came up and he went on his way. Sammy insisted that the front wheel had to turn almost 90 degrees.

Sounds like you are ready to be a flat tracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #59
G-Tex
Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
"And then I could use a new back tire as well. I was totally shocked by how fast the baja chews thru tires. I was averaging 5000 miles on a rear at home. Here I had less the 2000 miles on it and it was getting bad. No way I could make it back on this tire.
I had the same issue with "excessive tire wear" in Baja, but then I started thinking that tire life is usually inversely proportionate to the amount of fun that is being had...

Quote:
I went to 'bmw' shop in cabo...no tires! huh? They don't stock them. I still shake my head at that one.
Baja Motorsport is a JOKE!!! They are in such a good location for helping adventurers, making a new market, and becoming part of the ADV scene, but they do NOTHING for people coming overland from El Norte...they are totally set up for MILKING money out of the oligarchs who are visiting from points afar and want to own a BMW in Mexico...infuriating.

On a better note...GREAT RIDE REPORT! My F650 DAKAR is currently stored in Cabo after a late November/early December trip; I will be returning soon to retrieve it...my ride report from that trip is indicated in my signature.

CHEERS!
Beemer Off Road Dallas, Chartered MOA #351, RA #338
www.advdallas.com
2004 R1150GSATT41L<>1981 R80G/S
Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

G-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mcnut...I will give you the name as soon as I get my map back. It was a really cool spot. There was a sand bar a few meters off the shore that I waded out to and set my blanket on and had my lunch. I just can't remember the name...dammit!
But when I look at my map it'll come back to me. If not I will email debra at Damiana as they were the ones that gave me directions.