R100 Frame Question

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by 97oilhead, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 97oilhead

97oilhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might pick up a '95 R100R parts bike. I was wondering if the main frame is the same as my '84 R100RT? Would I be able to swap frames with the mono shock?

Thanks
  2. skrub

skrub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes easy swap. I'm guessing your just moving the eng/trans ?
  3. 97oilhead

97oilhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the frame might be damaged on the '95. I thought of possibly moving the older frame to take advantage of mono lever if possible.
  4. skrub

skrub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would work but the top shock mount on the older frame would need to welded in the same place to use the single shock. The 95 fork is much better and it bolts rite in the old frame.
  5. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Yes easy swap. I'm guessing your just moving the eng/trans ?

I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong.
    The R100R frame is way different than the 84.
    compare your front gas tank mounts, one is 20mm lower than the other. The rear mount is different as well.
    The suspension mounts are different. the tabs for the electrics are way different as well. It all seems unimportant until you start swapping stuff out, then it becomes a motherfather of a job.
    The R100R, GS, GSPD, Mystic, and R80G/S, ST are all based on the R65 frame.
    The only frame that's just like yours is 81-84 non R65 based.
    Robert
  6. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here I go again with the title thang! When you change out frames, the new frame had better come with a title, and you will be titling the revamped bike according to the title of the new frame...this is a frequently forgotten point...and here's a fairly regular scenario...one goes out with a frame gotten from an unknown or questionable source...he puts his stuff on that frame and goes to get it titled but LO! The frame is stolen!!! The cops don't just seize, impound, and dispose of the frame...but everything that's attached to it!!!

So, be real careful how ya approach this frame swapping thang!!!
  7. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where on earth did you get that idea?The frames differ all over the place in ways that make it FAR from an easy swap.
  8. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Why not just get the frame repaired/straightened?
  9. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Theres a simple solution to this one....

Take your "new" bimbo frame to the DMV, explain your problem and ask them very nicely, to see if those numbers are still in their system and whats the state of the registration/ownership.

The DMV (Hee in Cali.) isn't supposed to answer those questions but I've never had a problem getting some cooperation, once I've explained that I'm trying not to break any laws. Hell, I've even walked into the DMV offices with the frame in hand and talked to the detectives! :D

Just remember that you'll have to clear the engine numbers too!
  10. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly so...IF you can get them to do that for ya! It's getting tougher and tougher and tougher for bureaucrats to use good ol' common sense and forego the rules that have been established which simply defy common sense!!!

It's good that you've been able to do that, and if it works, absolutely, this is the way to go...and maybe in other states, its not quite that bad! The bottom line is that if you're gonna have a problem with the VIN on a frame, you want to know about it up front...the easiest solution of all is to never buy a frame without a title...

I can tell you a bunch of horror stories along these lines which is why I'm taking the tact that I am with regard to good numbers and good titles...
  11. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Well, when faced with the opportunity to purchase a couple of Airheads for $100 each, sans titles but with a signed BOS, I've always forked over the cash and worried about the titles later. A lot of my willingness to do that has sprung from being a pretty good judge of character and if something doesn't smell right, I'm gone. So-far-so-good but I have also walked away from a couple of good looking deals.

Later (As I said.), I simply take the frame to the DMV and get a numbers check. Here in Cali, if the numbers are no longer in the system, you're good as gold and they only keep unregistered bikes numbers in the system for about 7 years. Then you assemble the bike, truck it to the Highway Patrol office for and inspection and Viola! Clean title! It's good to note.... The folks at the DMV don't have to do a numbers check for you, so I go there when they're not likely to be swamped, I'm very, very polite and let them know right up front that I know that they're doing me a favor.

I'd probably be far more wary but I stick to vintage BMW's and for the most part, no one steals Airheads. If I was into Honda's or any Sport bikes, I'd worry a lot more.
  12. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for a hundred bux, there's little risk and you're right about the seven years...down here, there's hardly ANY DMV's that aren't swamped all the time... This stuff, mymindsok, I'll agree with...If I'm buyin' stuff that might give me a problem, which is rare, almost non-existent, I prefer to deal with folks I know... In fact, it's been decades since I've bought anything with a hinky title!!!