User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #1756
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
I can't think of where else to post this that would garner the appreciation it so deserves than in the guitar thread.

CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #1757
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Squier Bass VI

Oh Man......I am going to have to get one of these....love this must have in white.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #1758
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
My ES-137 Classic is a Gibson Custom Shop product (got the CoA for that) and was made in the Memphis factory, so it's probably not as neatly divided as we'd like to think.

As for "flagship", the Les Paul line is the most popular, highest profile, most iconic Gibson for sure. In terms of pure price, that would be a Gibson acoustic or a banjo (check out the "Super Earl"). In terms of the longest tenure, I'd go with something like the ES-175.

It's kinda like cars - the Chevy Impala has been around a long time, they made a shitload of them, some great, some meh, but hardly the flagship of Chevrolet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
For the electrics the Les Paul is their flagship guitar even in the Custom Shop. They have more variations on that guitar then any other with all of their signature models and reissues. Gibson has three labels now. Gibson USA, Gibson Custom Shop and Gibson Memphis. If it's an ES then most likely it's Memphis and not CS. (The Custom shop ES's are reissues.)

Gibson Custom Shop is located at 1612 Elm Hill Pike Nashville, TN.
Gibson Memphis is located at 145 Lt George W Lee Ave Memphis, TN
Gibson USA is located at 309 Plus Park Blvd Nashville, TN.

Nothing wrong with a Gibson Memphis guitar though. I believe they still use the same machine that has cut all of the 335 bodies ever made, still in use. I'm not really a semi-hollow guy but I want to get a ES-335 and a Gretsch Jet. You can still get a ES-335 Dot plain top for around $2999. I've been intrigued by the CS-336 and the CS-339. Although at the top of my list is a SG Standard and a Gretsch Power Jet. Maybe I'll get a new amp first though. Been looking at the Marshall SL-5 which is supposed to sound like a hotrodded JCM800.

I'm planning about swapping the magnets out of my Burstbucker Pro humbuckers to from Alinco V's to II's to turn them into a BB1 and BB2's for a much milder tone. I have PAF clones in my Les Paul but I want to experiment a bit. I'm on the fence on gutting my 2012 Les Paul Standard's PCB and going with regular pots and caps. This would get rid of the phasing, bridge bypass and the coil-splitting. All of which I don't use other then when I'm testing. I've already replaced the ceramic cap with a paper-in-oil from Tonefactory and wired it 50's style so the top end does get clipped when rolling down the volume. Probably won't gain anything from doing that swap though other then Internet cred points.

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #1759
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
My ES-137 Classic is a Gibson Custom Shop product (got the CoA for that) and was made in the Memphis factory, so it's probably not as neatly divided as we'd like to think.

As for "flagship", the Les Paul line is the most popular, highest profile, most iconic Gibson for sure. In terms of pure price, that would be a Gibson acoustic or a banjo (check out the "Super Earl"). In terms of the longest tenure, I'd go with something like the ES-175.

It's kinda like cars - the Chevy Impala has been around a long time, they made a shitload of them, some great, some meh, but hardly the flagship of Chevrolet!
It really depends on when it was made. Gibson has changed hands several times over the years. A lot of things have been shuffled around. Not too long ago, before the floods, the Custom Shop were being made in a corner of the USA shop. The floods allowed them to rebuild and more the CS out. From what I understand just about all the semi-hollow and hollow bodies electrics are coming out of Memphis. They come with a CS CoA like the regular CS's do. I'm not sure why they even make a distinction between the Memphis and CA though. The designation is a new thing. I think it started this year. Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments which makes the Banjo's and Mandolin's was located at the Opry Mill but was moved after the flood. The acoustic guitars are made in Bozeman, Montana.

We were talking about the Gibson Memphis in relationship to Gibson USA, Gibson Custom Shop. Memphis only makes electric guitars made there. Electrics and acoustics are apples and oranges. They have completely different markets and different price scales. I wouldn't call a Les Paul an Impala though. Only in recent years have they made a 'shitload'. In 1960 the SG sold more guitars then all of 1958-1960 Les Paul's which was why it was discontinued. They brought it back in 1968 but most of the Les Paul's made since them were reissues of the '58-60. Sales were still slow in the 80's and 90's. They started really pushing them when the economy was doing well and everyone was buying. Things change though. Electric guitar sales have fallen off drastically in the past few years.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #1760
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
I get what you're saying.

My ES-137 is a 2010 model - June 3 to be exact - so I'm pretty certain it wasn't made in Nashville since after the May floods, production there didn't start up again until July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
It really depends on when it was made. Gibson has changed hands several times over the years. A lot of things have been shuffled around. Not too long ago, before the floods, the Custom Shop were being made in a corner of the USA shop. The floods allowed them to rebuild and more the CS out. From what I understand just about all the semi-hollow and hollow bodies electrics are coming out of Memphis. They come with a CS CoA like the regular CS's do. I'm not sure why they even make a distinction between the Memphis and CA though. The designation is a new thing. I think it started this year. Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments which makes the Banjo's and Mandolin's was located at the Opry Mill but was moved after the flood. The acoustic guitars are made in Bozeman, Montana.

We were talking about the Gibson Memphis in relationship to Gibson USA, Gibson Custom Shop. Memphis only makes electric guitars made there. Electrics and acoustics are apples and oranges. They have completely different markets and different price scales. I wouldn't call a Les Paul an Impala though. Only in recent years have they made a 'shitload'. In 1960 the SG sold more guitars then all of 1958-1960 Les Paul's which was why it was discontinued. They brought it back in 1968 but most of the Les Paul's made since them were reissues of the '58-60. Sales were still slow in the 80's and 90's. They started really pushing them when the economy was doing well and everyone was buying. Things change though. Electric guitar sales have fallen off drastically in the past few years.

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #1761
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:

My ES-137 is a 2010 model - June 3 to be exact - so I'm pretty certain it wasn't made in Nashville since after the May floods, production there didn't start up again until July.
One of these days I'll get an ES-335.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #1762
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,507
Quote:

You are probably correct since Nashville does not make the ES-137. They are made in Memphis. Only solid-bodies are made in Nashville. Semi-hollows are made in Memphis.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #1763
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Man, it pays to have fancy cables.

Moving my Marshall half-stack to the living room from the office. Unplugged almost all the cables. Lifted the head up, but like an idiot, I forgot to unplug my fancy gold plated Monster speaker cable. Broke the end. Exchanged it for free for a new one at Guitar Center.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #1764
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,449
Notched Straightedge

I've got more than one guitar and most of them are 24.75 scale or 25.5 scale. In order to duplicate the setup on them a friend and I collaborated on this: A notched straightedge designed to lay on the fingerboard to determine neck bow.

Rather than paying Stew-Mac $80.00 I picked up an aluminum yardstick for about $4.00, marked the fret locations and my friend notched it. I ground the notches smooth with a wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder.

DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1765
fritzthecat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
So, finally got my semi-hollow Epi like I want it:

Epiphone ES-339 Royale
Gibson Classic 57 pickups (used from ebay)
StewMac Premium wiring kit (Switchcraft, CTS pots, Orange drop caps)
Memphis wiring scheme
Tusq Nut
Sugi aluminum tailpiece
Les Paul antique pearl handguard

all run through a Vox AC4TV amp with russian tubes.

Now I just need to learn to play good.

Fritz
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #1766
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,507

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #1767
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Just got this cool little amp!

I just got this little Yamaha THR-10C portable modeling amp from Sweetwater, and it's a killer! I've been using it a lot more than my big stuff. It sounds fantastic and has an minijack input that you can mix with the amps output, so you can plug in an ipod and mix the sound with the guitar. That works really great with the Songster app, which lets you listen to songs with various instruments removed, so you can play your own rhythm guitar track over the drums and bass. Highly recommended little amp, and pretty cheap at under $300. It gets pretty loud too.

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #1768
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

Ahh that is an oldie but goodie.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #1769
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,655
I can't believe I haven't cut my fingers sometimes with the way I stretch strings sometimes. I think I play the best when I just don't give a damn.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #1770
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I can't believe I haven't cut my fingers sometimes with the way I stretch strings sometimes. I think I play the best when I just don't give a damn.

I can't wait to get this friggen cast off of my right hand, and start actually playing again. I've been playing a little, strumming and fingerpicking without my thumb, but it doesn't sound the best. Just trying to keep my left hand in practice.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: