User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #1786
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
No pics, but I was lucky enough to play a (I think?) 1956 Martin Acoustic that a friend picked up a few weeks ago. It put my Cheap-ish Fender Acoustic to shame. Duh. The Martin was so rich and pretty sounding.

KungPaoDog screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 10:58 PM
KungPaoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1787
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
I knew acoustics were greatly affected by wood type, I didn't realize electrics were affected as much as they apparently are. Thanks for the info, all.
I guess the research begins!!
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #1788
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave View Post
I knew acoustics were greatly affected by wood type, I didn't realize electrics were affected as much as they apparently are. Thanks for the info, all.
I guess the research begins!!

This has been debated to death on the web, and there are just as many people who will tell you the wood makes ZERO difference in tone, as there are those who think it does. Even the fretboard, the maple vs rosewood thing, has been debated, tested, blind tested, etc, and I've never seen any evidence that they make one bit of difference in the sound. And I've watched several back to back tests.

There's a "blind" test you can find online where a lot of guitars are played back to back, same notes, same amp, etc, and they all sound nearly identical. I've seen the sound tested by sensitive instruments, and the differences were too minute for the human ear to discern. But there will always be people who swear they can hear the difference. The fretboard wood really doesn't make any difference in the sound of an electric guitar. It's been proven.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #1789
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
This has been debated to death on the web, and there are just as many people who will tell you the wood makes ZERO difference in tone, as there are those who think it does. Even the fretboard, the maple vs rosewood thing, has been debated, tested, blind tested, etc, and I've never seen any evidence that they make one bit of difference in the sound. And I've watched several back to back tests.

There's a "blind" test you can find online where a lot of guitars are played back to back, same notes, same amp, etc, and they all sound nearly identical. I've seen the sound tested by sensitive instruments, and the differences were too minute for the human ear to discern. But there will always be people who swear they can hear the difference. The fretboard wood really doesn't make any difference in the sound of an electric guitar. It's been proven.
Thanks for that! I may just avoid diving into the debate for now.

I have a friend with a sawmill, so I'm thinking it would be nice to make a body from local woods. Maybe a sandwich of maple and black walnut.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #1790
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,502
Quote:
Yaaayyy!!

I got my Super Champ and, for an Epiphone, this Dot Studio is great. I'm gonna spend the evening cleaning it and getting it setup.
The dots are excellent,versatile
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #1791
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Thanks for that! I may just avoid diving into the debate for now.

I have a friend with a sawmill, so I'm thinking it would be nice to make a body from local woods. Maybe a sandwich of maple and black walnut.

The woods used in guitars like Fender Strats and Teles, is used for several reasons, availability, cost, and weight. They use exotic woods in custom guitars, because they cost more. If you've got the resources, the wood, and the skill, make your guitar unique and beautiful. The tone in an electric guitar, comes from the player, not the tree!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #1792
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
I would argue that the wood makes a difference on an electric, but to a very marginal amount and not necessarily so much in tone. A harder, denser wood will give you bit more sustain.

Could you tell a difference in actual tone with different woods? Well, maybe. IF you have a golden ear and are in an anechoic chamber or something. Put yourself in your average living room with the AC going and the electric lights buzzing and the kids playing down the hall..........or in a jam session with a couple of other musicians and no, you won't hear the difference.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1793
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,482
Don't want to get all CSM about wood, but...

I've always heard that the reason pre-War guitars are preferred is that when the wood was harvested there was less pollution therefore the wood was better.

Also, the more a guitar is played the better it sounds. Something about the molecules of the wood changing due to the sound. Maybe it just sounds better because the player is practicing more!

Like I said, not going all CSM, just passing on some shit I've heard.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1794
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I

Could you tell a difference in actual tone with different woods? Well, maybe. IF you have a golden ear and are in an anechoic chamber or something. Put yourself in your average living room with the AC going and the electric lights buzzing and the kids playing down the hall..........or in a jam session with a couple of other musicians and no, you won't hear the difference.
Yes, absolutely.

Its easier to compensate for issues with tone on electric, you can play with the tone caps, pick-ups and effects.But if you can't hear the difference between multiple guitars running the same rig there is an issue.

I have three electrics
A Les Paul SL, a PRS SE Custom and a B.C. Rich Eagle. The Les and the PRS SHOULD sound damn near the same, they are constructed of the same woods with very similar pick ups (if fact I swapped them just to test this). They aren't even close, the Les carries WAY WAY more low end and has a fatter upper mid that kind of drowns the highs, where the PRS carries way more mid range and is razor sharp above that with an understated bottom. They are different to the point that I had to make about 30 new patches on my amp so that I was happy with both, basically mirroring the two sets of 32 patches, on for the Gibson, one for the PRS.

The Eagle is its own thing, being neckthrough, no cap, not arch, and active electronics, I can make that thing sound like a LOT of different guitars putzing with the taps and phasers (I went electronics nerd on that one).

I also choose my guitars to be versatile, while the Les Paul will always sound like a Gibson, the other two are good for a wider variety of sounds.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #1795
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,046
Woods, and body mass on electric guitars make a big difference.
I was a Fender, Tom Anderson, Gibson, Ibanez, Taylor etc dealer for 20 years, and as long-time guitar repairman, I can guarantee you that wood and mass effect the resonant frequencies of a guitar, how the guitar responds to pick attack, how it "snaps" and rings.
I equate it to the way that diff tires change your ride on a bike.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #1796
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, so the next problem is that you can tinker with these things, too!

A new push/pull pot just showed up in the mail today to replace Tone 2 on my MIM Strat. The original plan was to just make a 7 position with position 4(2) being bridge and neck in series with the middle parallel, and position 5(2) being bridge and neck in series.

Upon further research, I think we're going with Tone 1 becoming master tone and Tone 2 becoming a blend knob. This seems more interesting and I figure it's not difficult to change it later.

Any Strat players have experience with either of these combinations?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1797
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
My apologies if this has been mentioned before (I searched, but to no avail...), but it seems like a few folks here are happy Sweetwater.com customers. I'm going to order some stuff from them soon, but I've heard that some of their customer service reps are better than others, and that once you're assigned to a rep, you're stuck with that rep . . . so can anyone recommend a good rep to deal with?

Thanks!
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #1798
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I've made a few electric instruments, but I'm not close to being an expert. Still, the choice of wood makes a difference. i've made a few test bodies out of plywood, same thickness and shape as the final guitar, same electronics, neck, ect......big difference in sound between plywood and solid maple.
ivantheterrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #1799
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
You're either deaf, can't really play, or haven't played or owned a decent instrument if you honestly believe the wood doesn't make a difference in the sound, whether it be an acoustic or electric instrument.

I'm in the process of figuring out which Collings dreadnought I'm going to order, and I've narrowed it down to everything (sides, back, bracing, neck) but the top, trying to decide between a sitka spruce or german adirondack spruce, and you'd have to have pencils shoved in your ears to not to hear the differences. I haven't decided which one I want, because they both have characteristics I like, but there is no question they sound different, and you would literally have to be hearing-impaired to not pick it up. Both might sound perfectly fine (and they do) but different. I don't plan on spending $6k on an acoustic more than once, so being sure about what it sounds like matters more than a little to me.

If wood didn't make a difference, a Stadivarius wouldn't be worth millions of dollars, after all, it's just a wood violin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1800
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
I try to buy what I can locally, but Sweetwater is the one internet-based company that I've bought a lot of stuff from and always received first class service. I've PM'd you the name of my rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
My apologies if this has been mentioned before (I searched, but to no avail...), but it seems like a few folks here are happy Sweetwater.com customers. I'm going to order some stuff from them soon, but I've heard that some of their customer service reps are better than others, and that once you're assigned to a rep, you're stuck with that rep . . . so can anyone recommend a good rep to deal with?

Thanks!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: