Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #1801
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I try to buy what I can locally, but Sweetwater is the one internet-based company that I've bought a lot of stuff from and always received first class service. I've PM'd you the name of my rep.
Thanks Joe! I also usually buy locally, but Missoula's a fairly small town, and the local shops sometimes don't stock what I want....
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #1802
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Well, before you shove pencils in anyones ears, question their playing ability and intelligence, or tell them that the guitars they've been playing are pieces of crap, please note that what got the whole wood question started had to do with electrics, not acoustics. The general premise given so far is that it makes a helluva difference in an acoustic and just "a difference" in electrics. Even BHW's post that you quote mentions a study says that there is a difference.

Quote:
You're either deaf, can't really play, or haven't played or owned a decent instrument if you honestly believe the wood doesn't make a difference in the sound, whether it be an acoustic or electric instrument.

I'm in the process of figuring out which Collings dreadnought I'm going to order, and I've narrowed it down to everything (sides, back, bracing, neck) but the top, trying to decide between a sitka spruce or german adirondack spruce, and you'd have to have pencils shoved in your ears to not to hear the differences. I haven't decided which one I want, because they both have characteristics I like, but there is no question they sound different, and you would literally have to be hearing-impaired to not pick it up. Both might sound perfectly fine (and they do) but different. I don't plan on spending $6k on an acoustic more than once, so being sure about what it sounds like matters more than a little to me.

If wood didn't make a difference, a Stadivarius wouldn't be worth millions of dollars, after all, it's just a wood violin.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #1803
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Well, before you shove pencils in anyones ears, question their playing ability and intelligence, or tell them that the guitars they've been playing are pieces of crap, please note that what got the whole wood question started had to do with electrics, not acoustics. The general premise given so far is that it makes a helluva difference in an acoustic and just "a difference" in electrics. Even BHW's post that you quote mentions a study says that there is a difference.
I said right out that although it makes a difference its a LOT easier to compensate for with electric, you have like 90 dials, tone caps, pups, strings, effects and whatnot to make any guitar sound at least decent.

A crap acoustic will always sound like a crap acoustic, but a Yamaha Pacifica through a Double Rec doesn't sound that bad (and yes I've done this)
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1804
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
We were very clearly, and I though, quite obviously discussing electric guitars.

You can't hear the difference in a blind test. Guaranteed.

Quote:
You're either deaf, can't really play, or haven't played or owned a decent instrument if you honestly believe the wood doesn't make a difference in the sound, whether it be an acoustic or electric instrument.

If wood didn't make a difference, a Stadivarius wouldn't be worth millions of dollars, after all, it's just a wood violin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I've made a few electric instruments, but I'm not close to being an expert. Still, the choice of wood makes a difference. i've made a few test bodies out of plywood, same thickness and shape as the final guitar, same electronics, neck, ect......big difference in sound between plywood and solid maple.
Who said anything about plywood? What did you expect it to sound like? Let's stick with comparing SOLID wood with SOLID wood.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1805
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
It's just as important with electrics, and that's coming directly from Bill Collings, who knows a bit about both, and wood. In fact, he said building good electrics is much harder, and choosing the right wood is the biggest reason why. In his words, it all starts with the wood, and if you don't get that right you can't make a great guitar. It's easy to make average ones, most people do.

Sorry I was a bit harsh, but please tell me you can hear the difference between a rosewood Tele and a swamp ash Tele?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #1806
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
It's just as important with electrics, and that's coming directly from Bill Collings, who knows a bit about both, and wood. In fact, he said building good electrics is much harder, and choosing the right wood is the biggest reason why. In his words, it all starts with the wood, and if you don't get that right you can't make a great guitar. It's easy to make average ones, most people do.

Sorry I was a bit harsh, but please tell me you can hear the difference between a rosewood Tele and a swamp ash Tele?
You can hear the attack difference between a Strat with a maple neck and a strat with a rosewood.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #1807
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
i would, and did, expect it to sound like plywood. It wasn't a test for sound, it was a test for aesthetics. It's an extreme example I know, but i think it illustrates a point.
SOILD wood vs. SOLID wood? I'll make you a guitar made of SOLID pine.That'll sound the same as maple, right?
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #1808
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
You can hear the attack difference between a Strat with a maple neck and a strat with a rosewood.

Nope. I guarantee if a blind test was set up, and 10 guitars, identical in every way except for rosewood or maple fretboards were played through the same amp, your only chance to distinguish would be to guess. I've seen this test done, with some "experts", and the human ear can pick up no difference at all in the wood of the fretboard. The fretboard really shouldn't have any effect anyhow. The difference is more about feel and asthetics.

The body of the guitar, has too been proven to make little to no difference in "tone". Again, in blind test, people can't tell a difference.

Argue all you want, but until you've done a blind test you're just making stuff up.

The guys who make expensive custom guitars, of course, want you to believe that a more expensive exotic wood sounds 10x better than some cheap piece of ash.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #1809
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Nope. I guarantee if a blind test was set up, and 10 guitars, identical in every way except for rosewood or maple fretboards were played through the same amp, your only chance to distinguish would be to guess. I've seen this test done, with some "experts", and the human ear can pick up no difference at all in the wood of the fretboard. The fretboard really shouldn't have any effect anyhow. The difference is more about feel and asthetics.

The body of the guitar, has too been proven to make little to no difference in "tone". Again, in blind test, people can't tell a difference.

Argue all you want, but until you've done a blind test you're just making stuff up.

The guys who make expensive custom guitars, of course, want you to believe that a more expensive exotic wood sounds 10x better than some cheap piece of ash.
As a lover of archtop guitars, i can tell you that the wood in an archtop makes a big difference, also in the electric sound. Your statement may hold true for solid body electrics, hollow bodies are a different story

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #1810
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

How about we just wrap this crap up with

"Opinions differ on solid-body electrics."

Now lets get on to the fun stuff and quit the damned bickering.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #1811
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
How about we just wrap this crap up with

"Opinions differ on solid-body electrics."

Now lets get on to the fun stuff and quit the damned bickering.
In.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #1812
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:

A blind test eh? Yeah I'll get right on that.

...and who are people? Some dude off the street, or ...y'know...players.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #1813
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
A blind test eh? Yeah I'll get right on that.

...and who are people? Some dude off the street, or ...y'know...players.

Nah, don't bother with a test where your eyes won't have any influence, you'll just end up proving yourself wrong. I've seen seasoned musicians, guitar store employees, etc all fail the blind tests. There's a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly. But you only have to get it wrong one time to prove the point. Your ears only hear in certain frequency range, a range unaffected by the wood used in a solid body or on the fretboard.

Last post on this topic.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #1814
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Last post on this topic.
Lets hope.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #1815
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,706

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: