Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #1876
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Scale length/nut width variation & the newbie

I am a new guitar player (it's a stretch to call what I do playing). I have a Takamine acoustic, an Epiphone SG electric and a Washburn Rover travel acoustic that all vary in scale length and nut width. I notice that it can take a few minutes to get comfortable when switching from one guitar to another and I wonder if I'm slowing my learning by changing regularly.

I'm really just getting to where I can play very simple songs and get my chord changes done efficiently at least some of the time. It seems that sometimes I'm better on one guitar or another but it never seems to be consistently the same one that I'm better on.

Should I stick to just one until I get a little better (hopefully), or am I doing no harm by changing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #1877
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I am a new guitar player (it's a stretch to call what I do playing). I have a Takamine acoustic, an Epiphone SG electric and a Washburn Rover travel acoustic that all vary in scale length and nut width. I notice that it can take a few minutes to get comfortable when switching from one guitar to another and I wonder if I'm slowing my learning by changing regularly.

I'm really just getting to where I can play very simple songs and get my chord changes done efficiently at least some of the time. It seems that sometimes I'm better on one guitar or another but it never seems to be consistently the same one that I'm better on.

Should I stick to just one until I get a little better (hopefully), or am I doing no harm by changing?

There are at least two schools of thought on this

First is the one that says stick with one, get comfortable with it and then branch out. Your fingers will have some muscle memory and know where they are suppose to go and will adjust accordingly. This line of thinking also says that you will start sounding good (what ever that means) sooner than constantly moving from guitar to guitar. Consistency is a good thing.

The other says that by changing gear often you will learn to adjust quicker even though it may take you longer initially to become comfortable playing.

When I started, I didn't have the luxury to switch between guitars as I only had one. I started playing different guitars after I was already playing fairly well - then went from a narrow neck to a classical guitar. That was quite a change. Then threw in a 12-string just to make things interesting. All these were acoustic. I didn't pick up an electric for a couple of years after I was out gigging.

Do what feels good to you. If you put in the time, you'll get it. Maybe you'll decide to just play the acoustic as you don't have to plug in to hear it. Maybe you'll play the SG since it's easier on the fingers than the acoustic. It's all your choice.

Having said that, my personal take is that playing acoustic well and transitioning to electric is quicker than the other way. YMMV

Enjoy,

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #1878
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:

When I started I had two and bounced back and forth between them....then I bought another and had three to play with.

Personally I saw about the same thing....and I think I still can't play even tho I have been messing with these things for years now.

I really don't think it will hurt you, for me I am a pretty flighty person, sometimes I will want to play this or that....had one of mine in the shop for a while and that is the one I wanted to play....I just could not get into playing the others....I wanted to hear the sound that one made.

I think that anything to keep your fingers on the strings is a good thing....and the more time you have your fingers on the strings the better....if it is while watching TV and just goofing around or really putting your mind in it...time I think is the top thing.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #1879
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
I've had a few more come and go from my possession since my last life-story installment on page 92.

Collings C-10, gone:

Collings UT2 ukulele, gone, but I never realized how much fun a uke could be!

Froggy Bottom A14, gone:

Collings maple/German dread. I saved some money and went to a store and picked this guitar out of 30 or more high end acoustics that I played. It is hands down the best sounding dread I've played. Hopefully a lifer that I can leave to my children.

And finally, a Collings 01A. I received it plus cash in a trade for the Froggy above. I almost sold it, but have since bonded with it and now play it 99% of the time. Small, light guitars are a blast to play, and this one is way louder than it looks.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #1880
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
"Must know" beginner songs?

Now that I've finally turned the corner to where I can hack through very simple songs, I'm looking for suggestions for beginner stuff that everyone should know. I don't sing, so I lean toward things that are recognizable on their own. My musical tastes vary wildly, so any type of music is fine.

I've been finding good stuff on Youtube, but I'm looking for your suggestions. What was your favorite as a beginner?

Thanks!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #1881
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
I find that southern rock and singer/songwriter type stuff is a good place to start. The Eagles, Allman's, CCR, Johnny Cash, Dylan, Neil Young, Rosanne Cash, Lucinda Williams, Wilie Nelson, Buddy Holly, etc. Most Stones stuff is pretty simple.

I'm on a bit of a classic brit-pop kick right now, learning a lot of early Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe stuff.

Quote:
Now that I've finally turned the corner to where I can hack through very simple songs, I'm looking for suggestions for beginner stuff that everyone should know. I don't sing, so I lean toward things that are recognizable on their own. My musical tastes vary wildly, so any type of music is fine.

I've been finding good stuff on Youtube, but I'm looking for your suggestions. What was your favorite as a beginner?

Thanks!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #1882
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
That O1A is gorgeous! I've been wanting to order a D2HG but I keep finding myself playing my deep-body Martin OO much more than my dread, and wondering if I'd be better off with something like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I've had a few more come and go from my possession since my last life-story installment on page 92.

Collings C-10, gone:

Collings UT2 ukulele, gone, but I never realized how much fun a uke could be!

Froggy Bottom A14, gone:

Collings maple/German dread. I saved some money and went to a store and picked this guitar out of 30 or more high end acoustics that I played. It is hands down the best sounding dread I've played. Hopefully a lifer that I can leave to my children.

And finally, a Collings 01A. I received it plus cash in a trade for the Froggy above. I almost sold it, but have since bonded with it and now play it 99% of the time. Small, light guitars are a blast to play, and this one is way louder than it looks.

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1883
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
That O1A is gorgeous! I've been wanting to order a D2HG but I keep finding myself playing my deep-body Martin OO much more than my dread, and wondering if I'd be better off with something like yours.
Thanks! Having both a Collings dread and the 01A, I have to recommend getting both! Just figure out which you "need" first. I've always been a dread fan, but this little 0 has really won me over, and now I play it 90% of the time. It's just so small, light, and easy to play. I still love the D1HG too, and sometimes nothing else will do. It's a lot of fun switching backand forth between the two.

Best of luck in your search!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #1884
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:

Thanks!
I found (still do) hank williams songs very good to strum chords to and maintain a good sense of basic rhythm. His lyrics were a little deeper than most of the era.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #1885
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:

Thanks!
Beatles...you'll get to learn those fancy 7, 9 and sus4 chords!

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #1886
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:

Thanks!
Lynyrd Skynyrd's - Sweet Home Alabama: just D, C, G.... with F thrown in on the rare occasion. It's the same progression in Werewolves of London.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #1887
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Motojunky, I agree with FP,etc.'s opinion about the importance of just playing. If you are able to own a few different guitars that you like playing, I don't think switching from one to the other is a bad thing. It seems to me that anything that encourages us to pick up our guitars and play is good.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #1888
sgmarshall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
As my screen name shows, I'm a Gibson SG guy, have 5. My #1 Holy Grail is a 92 SG standard, the first time I picked it up- the light shined down from heaven and the choir of angels sang. All others have been in search of a back up for it. Have a 65 SG special reissue with P90's, a SG special (Renault Blue) that I recently acquired, a SG diablo (24 fret- flamed maple top- blue burst), and one of those cheap GC specials with the wrap around tailpiece that actually plays well and sounds great. Even my PRS (Mira) is kinda sorta an SG. I played Flying V's in the 80's, but went on a 5 year break without playing in a band, so I sold it since you can't really play them sitting down. Got to play an outdoor gig this past weekend, and had to pull the old #1 out for that. One thing good about playing the same guitar a lot is that you know how far to bend a note to keep it in tune, how your volume knob responds, little things that most non musicians don't notice. I'll pull out a Strat from time to time, but the SG is "home". Same with Marshall amps, played them all (except the elusive Dumble), Marshall is the sound of rock and roll, period.
sgmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #1889
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Lynyrd Skynyrd's - Sweet Home Alabama: just D, C, G.... with F thrown in on the rare occasion. It's the same progression in Werewolves of London.
And Kid Rock's All Summer Long

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #1890
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Mmmmm....SG with P90s...tasty! Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmarshall View Post
As my screen name shows, I'm a Gibson SG guy, have 5. My #1 Holy Grail is a 92 SG standard, the first time I picked it up- the light shined down from heaven and the choir of angels sang. All others have been in search of a back up for it. Have a 65 SG special reissue with P90's, a SG special (Renault Blue) that I recently acquired, a SG diablo (24 fret- flamed maple top- blue burst), and one of those cheap GC specials with the wrap around tailpiece that actually plays well and sounds great. Even my PRS (Mira) is kinda sorta an SG. I played Flying V's in the 80's, but went on a 5 year break without playing in a band, so I sold it since you can't really play them sitting down. Got to play an outdoor gig this past weekend, and had to pull the old #1 out for that. One thing good about playing the same guitar a lot is that you know how far to bend a note to keep it in tune, how your volume knob responds, little things that most non musicians don't notice. I'll pull out a Strat from time to time, but the SG is "home". Same with Marshall amps, played them all (except the elusive Dumble), Marshall is the sound of rock and roll, period.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: