User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #1891
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 673
Any inmates ever been to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS? I just returned from my first one and I have to say it was truly amazing. We made the Finger style, Flatpicking, and mountain dulcimer championships(as spectators) and came away awed. It's all about acoustic instruments and there were also contests for fiddle, banjo, hammered dulcimer, mandolin, and autoharp. Around 15k people camp or hang out in the fairgrounds and play all day and all night for 4 days. Actually, it's more than 4 days because if you want a campsite, you have to get there a week or 10 days early. Anyway, it's really something if you're a 'picker'.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #1892
NotSoPlainJane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
pick ups

Very interesting reading all of these posts.....We build pickups for all kinds of stringed instruments Kent Armstrong handmade... All our work is custom and we can build from scratch....or rewind your original pickups for whatever sound/sounds you want.... e mail Kent armstrong@vermontel.net thanks ...joy
NotSoPlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #1893
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Any inmates ever been to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS? I just returned from my first one and I have to say it was truly amazing. We made the Finger style, Flatpicking, and mountain dulcimer championships(as spectators) and came away awed. It's all about acoustic instruments and there were also contests for fiddle, banjo, hammered dulcimer, mandolin, and autoharp. Around 15k people camp or hang out in the fairgrounds and play all day and all night for 4 days. Actually, it's more than 4 days because if you want a campsite, you have to get there a week or 10 days early. Anyway, it's really something if you're a 'picker'.
That's a little bit of a trek for me, but not too bad. Timing is bad for me as this time of year is the busiest for me, but I'll have to check that one out some day.

Bluegrass/folk festivals are the bomb. Every one I've ever been to or participated in has such an open feel about them. People trade techniques, songs, everything......and rarely is an ego to be found.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #1894
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 673
That's funny- you've just described the exact impressions that my wife and I came away from this with. There were a lot of really good bluegrass musicians among the pros and the amateurs but the hired performers didn't reflect an overly heavy bluegrass bias. Among them Stephen Bennet, Pete Huttlinger, John McCutcheon, Tim and Myles Thompson, and Tom Chapin. We went to a fingerstyle workshop with Bennet, Huttlinger, and Thompson that was amazing. We weren't in the campground late at night but folks there said the very best music often takes place in impromptu jam sessions in the middle of the night. I believe it. I think the only problem with this is one is that it has become so big.
If anyone gets curious about it here's a link to their website: http://www.wvfest.com/

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:05 AM
dickosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #1895
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Oddometer: 243
Is 'setting up' a guitar a good idea to try for someone who has never done it before and has no one to show them the steps in person?

My electric guitar is starting to get some buzzing on some of the strings and it's annoying the hell out of me.
Mista Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1896
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
Is 'setting up' a guitar a good idea to try for someone who has never done it before and has no one to show them the steps in person?

My electric guitar is starting to get some buzzing on some of the strings and it's annoying the hell out of me.
Dan Erlewine's books are very good. They have pictures and step-by-step instructions for basic and advanced setups, and probably every modification worth making.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5198
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #1897
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:

I'm not qualified to respond, but I'm going to do it anyway...

The few electric guitars that I've fiddled with have had easy adjustments for bridge height and intonation. You could make any changes there with no risk of damage. Seems like you have not much to lose. I found some good info on fret work/care as well, but that's a little more risky. I think it really comes down to the value of the guitar and your confidence in what you can do. I wouldn't hesitate to attempt to replace the nut on one of my cheap guitars, but if I had something nice it would go to someone qualified. I enjoy learning about the mechanics as much as learning to play. There are plenty of cheapo guitars available to experiment with.

I used online articles and videos to educate myself about adjustments and have had fun fiddling with a couple of guitars (both electric and acoustic). I'd be hesitant to try anything that had the potential to cause damage, but otherwise I'd say go for it!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #1898
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:

It's not rocket science. You'll want to look up the specs for your guitar and see how off it is. You can tweak the bridge height a little (raise) on the side that buzzes. Though if you can't hear it through the amp then it's really a non-issue.

You can use a feeler gauge or an engineers ruler that goes down to 1/64" to measure the string height. As long as your methodical, you shouldn't have any problems. Worse case is that you have to take it to a tech for a setup.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #1899
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Thanks for the replies, think I'll have a go at it once I look into the steps some more.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #1900
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

If it hasn't buzzed before and is buzzing now and you haven't changed string gauges, it's probably a truss rod adjustment. Not real hard to do. Look at a few online video's on the procedure. Here are a couple of tips:

1. Change your strings first and while the strings are off, gently clean your frets with a scotchbrite pad. Bring the new strings up to tune and check again to see if the buzz is still there. Sometimes buzz can be caused by gunk on the strings, frets, or both.

2. When you adjust the truss rod, do a quarter turn, tune the strings, and check the action. Repeat as necessary. Different hunks-o-wood react differently and sometimes a quarter turn is all you need and other times it will take quite a bit so adjust in little increments and check often.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #1901
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
And if it has not taken a shot...fallen on its face or something it could just need new strings.

I had one that got knocked over and landed flat on its face....dog knocked it over in a thunderstorm....when it landed the frets made little dents in the strings....now you have buzz.

Try new strings.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #1902
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Guitar is about 1-1.5 years old now purchased new, would the strings need to be replaced already? Never been dropped or anything either (I hope).
I'm obviously completely oblivious when it comes to guitar stuff, maybe it has something to do with being a drummer.

Was fine before, and the buzzing started about 2 months ago but was only noticeable when amplified recently. Made worse when it's tuned to Eb, from the lower string tension I imagine.
Only on the top 3 strings for the most part (G B E), so even with the lowest string tuned to D that one still doesn't buzz.

It's a LTD EC100QM incase anyone was wondering. So probably wasn't perfect from the factory to begin with I'd think, being nothing special n all.
I'll have to get a pic up of my slowly growing guitar collection one of these days.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #1903
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

You are definitely due for new strings!! About every three months is a general rule. Strings oxidize, get crud on them, etc. Grab your little E string between your fingers and run up and down the length. You'll feel that it isn't baby-ass smooth. That's what we're talking about.

De-tuning (drop D and most alternate tunings) most generally does require a bit higher action and, if you can, heavier strings.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #1904
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
I would replace the strings.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #1905
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Tom Bills is a very talented young luthier that builds amazing high-end flat top and arcthop acoustic guitars. He has a series of YouTube videos that help with guitar setup. I think they're very helpful.

Best of luck!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: