User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #2176
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,435
They are good little amps, I am really a fan of my Rolland Cube 30x....great little amp with tons of different sounds out there. I really do think that in this day in age there is very little pure junk out there with a known name on the side of it.

When the guitars are plugged in (most of my goof off time is 5min here and there) is into the little Vox 4tv....that is really a nice little 100 amp that can be clean but gets dirty pretty quick and not so insane volumes.

I looked at the fender when I bought my last one.....I think you will be happy with it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #2177
multimoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurph View Post
Nice Work AND nice selection of pedals !

Thanks! Its taken years to acquire / build this thing!
[Member - Stewards of the Sequoia]
multimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #2178
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,974
Picked up an ebony Epi Les Paul Standard and Mustang amp today.

Have spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out Rocksmith 2014. Looks like it's going to be a fun little learning tool....

It has been a good day to be me!

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #2179
xscoobysnack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I'm looking at a Laney LA35C acoustic combo amp. Any thoughts about this or any other acoustic amp in the $200 to $250 range? Acoustic guitar through my electric amps sounds like crap.
xscoobysnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #2180
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by xscoobysnack View Post
I'm looking at a Laney LA35C acoustic combo amp. Any thoughts about this or any other acoustic amp in the $200 to $250 range? Acoustic guitar through my electric amps sounds like crap.
I loves me some Genz-Benz, but they don't have anything in that price range at all and now that Fender is doing what they do as a corporation, i.e. fubar'ing it up, you'll have to look for old stock anyway.

From first hand experience, the Ibanez Troubador's are really nice for the money. For the funds you're talking the T30 is an amazing amount of sound in a small package. http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_a...146&ampl_id=25

Peavey's Ecoustic E208 is a nice little rig as well, and has more control than the Troubador in that price range. Nice little cabinet. http://www.peavey.com/products/index...%26nbsp%3BE208

Surprisingly good for the money is the Peavey VYPYR VIP2. For whatever reason, I've always been really amazed at how good acoustics sound through the VYPYR line of amps, even the previous generation. All the built in effects including looping, are an added bonus. You do loose the mic input that is featured on the two amps above, however.
http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...VIP%26nbsp%3B2
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 AM   #2181
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Picked up an ebony Epi Les Paul Standard and Mustang amp today.

Have spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out Rocksmith 2014. Looks like it's going to be a fun little learning tool....

It has been a good day to be me!
If you are new....mix it up a bit, do a few web/youtube lessons....and if you are real new look at correct fingering videos and such....while I say there is no incorrect way but there are good and bad ways. My arm will not bend quite right so I really can't play standing up anymore...just hurts, and barre cords are a non starter....sitting down less of a problem.

Justinguitar is a great one to start with.

Also with RS switch between lead rhythm...good stuff to be had in both places.

Epi is getting like some of the middle of the road squire...(why not spell it that way)...classic vibe/vintage modified are some just darn fine guitars...the difference you pay for that name on the end is getting less and less.

This is a long video but these guys do a few of them and there is just not a lot anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEdT2d43jU
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #2182
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If you are new....mix it up a bit, do a few web/youtube lessons....and if you are real new look at correct fingering videos and such....while I say there is no incorrect way but there are good and bad ways. My arm will not bend quite right so I really can't play standing up anymore...just hurts, and barre cords are a non starter....sitting down less of a problem.

Justinguitar is a great one to start with.

Also with RS switch between lead rhythm...good stuff to be had in both places.

Epi is getting like some of the middle of the road squire...(why not spell it that way)...classic vibe/vintage modified are some just darn fine guitars...the difference you pay for that name on the end is getting less and less.

This is a long video but these guys do a few of them and there is just not a lot anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEdT2d43jU

Thanks for the input. I've seen those guy's videos and they are pretty telling. I've been doing JustinGuitar for several months now w/ my acoustic, but finally broke down and bought an electric.

I spent several hours looking yesterday and playing the Epi back to back w/ the Gibson. At my current skill level, there was just no way to justify the price difference. I could have bought a low end Gibson, but didn't really like the (to my eyes) budget looking finishes. The Epi is black w/ cream colored accents, sounds great, fits my hands well and cost Much less than a Gibson. The finish on this guitar is excellent, the tuners are smooth and so far everything works just like it should.

Saving a bunch on the guitar will help me finish my latest DR350 project!

Ride safe and Rock on..........

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #2183
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
The Epi is black w/ cream colored accents, sounds great, fits my hands well and cost Much less than a Gibson. The finish on this guitar is excellent, the tuners are smooth and so far everything works just like it should.

Saving a bunch on the guitar will help me finish my latest DR350 project!

Ride safe and Rock on..........
That's really what it's all about - the guitar has to look good to you and feel good to you.

One of these days I'm going to find the Tele (most likely a B-Bender) and Strat that feel right and sound right to me. In the mean time, I'm having fun with my Line 6 James Tyler Variax which sounds good enough and is versatile enough for what I need at the moment.

I still have the '63 Gibson Hummingbird and the vintage Rickenback 360-12 when I need to get serious about acoustic or 12-string sounds.

Enjoy,

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #2184
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:

At my current skill level, there was just no way to justify the price difference. I could have bought a low end Gibson, but didn't really like the (to my eyes) budget looking finishes.

Winner!!!! An Epi is a great guitar for 99.9% of us. A 3 or 4 thousand dollar Gibson may be needed by Warren Haynes and Co. Personally, an Epi is still a better guitar than I am a player. If you buy and Epi from a local store have the luthier set it up. Sweetwater and Elderly do that before they ship. If you do that, you're gonna be very happy with the Epi!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #2185
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Winner!!!! An Epi is a great guitar for 99.9% of us. A 3 or 4 thousand dollar Gibson may be needed by Warren Haynes and Co. Personally, an Epi is still a better guitar than I am a player. If you buy and Epi from a local store have the luthier set it up. Sweetwater and Elderly do that before they ship. If you do that, you're gonna be very happy with the Epi!
Truth. If set up correctly I would bet that not even Warren Haynes and Co. could tell the difference between a $4k Gibson and dozens of other guitars from dozens of makers and costing 1/10th the price.

My first rule when I walk into a music store to try out guitars? Ignore the headstock and the price tag. Neither one is a really good indicator as to the quality or tone of the guitar, at least once you hit the $400.00 and up range. The quality of lower and mid priced instruments is making it harder and harder for most of us to justify paying thousands for a guitar.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #2186
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Just throwing it out there:
I like Epiphones and have had a couple but watch for end of year clearances and special buys. I bought my Gibson Les Paul Special ($500 from Sweetwater) last summer for about what an Epiphone Les Paul Standard variation goes for. Yeah, I know its not really an apples to apples comparison (slab top with P-90's) but still $500 for a US made guitar. Heck the '14 Melody Makers are basically a Special but with an arched top and a wrap around bridge and are going for $570.

I do agree that import guitars are great and especially have enjoyed my MIM Fenders (Strat, Tele and Jazz bass).
S3bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #2187
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3bird View Post
Heck the '14 Melody Makers are basically a Special but with an arched top and a wrap around bridge and are going for $570.
A few weeks ago, I went out to buy my first guitar (at age 53).

After sniffing around the shop for a while, I ended up buying a used Hondo for $80, just to see if I would like learning to play and would stick with it.

Well, I did like it, a lot in fact. So back to the guitar store. I played around with a bunch of guitars, and based on my very llimited experience and ability, bought a Melody Maker. It felt great to my inexperienced hands and the fact that it is made in the US was a big deal for me. $549 for a US Gibson? Sold.

Just my2 cents.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #2188
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
A few weeks ago, I went out to buy my first guitar (at age 53).

After sniffing around the shop for a while, I ended up buying a used Hondo for $80, just to see if I would like learning to play and would stick with it.

Well, I did like it, a lot in fact. So back to the guitar store. I played around with a bunch of guitars, and based on my very llimited experience and ability, bought a Melody Maker. It felt great to my inexperienced hands and the fact that it is made in the US was a big deal for me. $549 for a US Gibson? Sold.

Just my2 cents.
Good for you, if I hadn't dumbed into my Special last summer I would be buying a Melody Maker.

The US made thing means something to me too as I've been slowly upgrading my modest (low end) collection to US made versions (MIM Strat for a Highway 1, MIM Tele for a American Standard) over the last four years.
S3bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #2189
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,650
epiphone Sheraton II

Quote:
I completely agree I recently bought a Sheraton ii which is an Epiphone and it is a fantastic guitar. I looked for a couple years for Gibson 335 that I could afford and I just couldn't justify a 2k $I wound up getting mine for $419 it plays and sounds fantastic look and are feel great it's a great guitar does blues rock rhythm lead all fantastic. I have an american-made Stratocaster it's a great guitar I also have an Ibanez acoustic electric and it's a great guitar I play live 3 times a week mostly in church and my epiphone is a great guitar plays just as easy as my Stratocaster

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #2190
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
I completely agree I recently bought a Sheraton ii which is an Epiphone and it is a fantastic guitar. I looked for a couple years for Gibson 335 that I could afford and I just couldn't justify a 2k $I wound up getting mine for $419 it plays and sounds fantastic look and are feel great it's a great guitar does blues rock rhythm lead all fantastic. I have an american-made Stratocaster it's a great guitar I also have an Ibanez acoustic electric and it's a great guitar I play live 3 times a week mostly in church and my epiphone is a great guitar plays just as easy as my Stratocaster

That Sheraton II is on my Sweetwater wish list. Right now I have a MIJ Strat that I really like.

I also like to hit the acoustic a lot!

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: