Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #2461
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Well, it helps if you can play like Page.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Especially after my wife did much the same thing to me one time when we were listening to Dave Rawlings and I said "Listen. There's that tone and that's why I bought that archtop."

"Yep. That's the same tone. Now if you could just play like him."

No mercy, I tell ya.
That is why I wait til she is out of the house when I play.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #2462
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
Anyone have much experience with Breedlove guitars? I made the mistake of stopping by the local guitar shop today, and they've got two Breedloves that really spoke to me when I played 'em.

http://breedlovemusic.com/instrument.../stage-c25-sre

http://breedlovemusic.com/guitars/or...oregon-concert

The first one is made in Korea, the second one in Oregon. I went back and forth between the two for about an hour...really liked them both.
I have a Breedlove mandolin (made in USA) and it is high quality at a good price.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #2463
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Anyone have much experience with Breedlove guitars? I made the mistake of stopping by the local guitar shop today, and they've got two Breedloves that really spoke to me when I played 'em.
Well, I went back today and picked up the Oregon Concert model. I even stopped by a different shop first and played a bunch of different Martins and others. None of them sounded as good to me... Been messing with it all afternoon, and I'm pretty happy so far!

Here's a video of the sound (but it's not me playing--I can't fingerpick at all yet!)

http://youtu.be/r2LeRSzGnEY

motojosh screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 08:52 PM
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #2464
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,417
From Jimmy Page about the album version of Black Mountain Side:

I use a special tuning on this modal melody. Tune the 1st string down one full tone to D; tune the 2nd string down one full tone to A; leave the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings as is; tune the 6th string down one full tone to D. I use a flat pick to bring out the bass line and play the upper notes with the middle and ring fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
The guitar/amp combo still play a big part. I am completely fascinated by the sound Page gets out of this old Danectro, so much so I bought a new one. Still cannot figure out how to match the sound:

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #2465
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Well, I went back today and picked up the Oregon Concert model. I even stopped by a different shop first and played a bunch of different Martins and others. None of them sounded as good to me... Been messing with it all afternoon, and I'm pretty happy so far!
Nice! And further proof of the advice I often give to people: Ignore the name on the head stock and ignore the price. Buy what sounds and feels good to you.

The above advice is one of those "within reason" bits. That name on the head stock is only important in that you should buy from a manufacturer that will stand behind their product. The fact remains, however, that I've played a lot of $2k and up guitars from the Bigs (Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc.) that I wouldn't give you a dime for and I've played a lot of $300 and up guitars from smaller manufacturers that sounded fantastic. And the other way around holds true as well.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #2466
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,195
Quote:
Nice! And further proof of the advice I often give to people: Ignore the name on the head stock and ignore the price. Buy what sounds and feels good to you.
You know, this is absolutely the best advice you could give a customer. I have two acoustic guitars that I play regularly a Martin HD-28 and an old Epiphone FT-133. I play the Epi a LOT more than the Martin. It just feels better in my hands. I string it with light guage strings and I have mediums on the Martin. The lighter gauge allows me to play longer with less fingertip discomfort. You really need a good set of callouses for those mediums.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #2467
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,515
I need a recommendation;

I've been doing some gigs, and I normally play acoustic, plugged straight into our PA, with a touch of reverb and/or delay. There are a few bluesy songs we do, however, that I think would sound good with a touch of warm, tube-like distortion. I'm thinking of adding a distortion pedal after listening to a few musicians passing through town that use a little distortion with their acoustic guitars. Any recommendations for a pedal that subtle and "natural" sounding, that isn't too pricey?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #2468
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I need a recommendation;

I've been doing some gigs, and I normally play acoustic, plugged straight into our PA, with a touch of reverb and/or delay. There are a few bluesy songs we do, however, that I think would sound good with a touch of warm, tube-like distortion. I'm thinking of adding a distortion pedal after listening to a few musicians passing through town that use a little distortion with their acoustic guitars. Any recommendations for a pedal that subtle and "natural" sounding, that isn't too pricey?
Your best bet is to go and play with some pedals......TAKE YOUR GUITAR to the shop you demo them at. If you're guitar has a built in pre-amp, you'll find that some pedals are better than others at taking the hotter signal from the pre-amp.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #2469
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,515
Quote:
Your best bet is to go and play with some pedals......TAKE YOUR GUITAR to the shop you demo them at. If you're guitar has a built in pre-amp, you'll find that some pedals are better than others at taking the hotter signal from the pre-amp.
Good idea I'm sure. 100 miles to the nearest real guitar store, so I probably won't get a chance any time soon. May have to just go with online reviews. :(

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #2470
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,067
Quote:

Here's a video of the sound (but it's not me playing--I can't fingerpick at all yet!)

http://youtu.be/r2LeRSzGnEY
What shop did you get that from Josh?

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #2471
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Good idea I'm sure. 100 miles to the nearest real guitar store, so I probably won't get a chance any time soon. May have to just go with online reviews. :(
Understand. We music stores are getting fewer and farther between. Make sure and ask the seller the question of whether it will work alright with your pre-amp.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #2472
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
What shop did you get that from Josh?
Morgenroth (kind of near where Malfunction Junction used to be).
Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #2473
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,516
Quote:

Look what you made me go out and do.

2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #2474
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Look what you made me go out and do.
Sorry.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #2475
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,516
Quote:
Sorry.
I believe mine is a slightly older version of the Oregon Concert. I know it was at the store for awhile. Different headstock, bridge and logo than yours, but basically the same guitar. Sounds as nice as my concert body Martin...I like it.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: