Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #646
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
OK, we have an accoustic guitar in the house already. How about learning plans. One on one lessons? Are there any web based tutorials that are worth the time? I have long forgotten how to read music, so I guess I should learn tabs.
There are so many options these days that it's really up to you, how you learn and how much discipline you have. For me, I have to start out with one on one instruction. Knowing I'm responsible to another individual, and that I'm paying for it reinforces the need to practice and be serious about studying. Once I've got the basics working at some level, I can also branch out and learn on my own - either from other players, on-line, or computer based instruction. I have difficulty reminding myself to study if there is not some sort of accountability to a third party.

That having been said, eMedia has some really good computer based courses. Also check out the Fretboard Logic series of books.

I'm a big proponent of reading music. TAB is nice, but reading music is a necessity if you are really going to master the instrument. YMMV

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #647
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
OK, we have an accoustic guitar in the house already. How about learning plans. One on one lessons? Are there any web based tutorials that are worth the time? I have long forgotten how to read music, so I guess I should learn tabs.
I've been using Jamplay.com; more lessons and info there than I could ever absorb, but I've learned a lot.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #648
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
TFor me, I have to start out with one on one instruction. Knowing I'm responsible to another individual, and that I'm paying for it reinforces the need to practice and be serious about studying.
+1

Quote:
I'm a big proponent of reading music. TAB is nice, but reading music is a necessity if you are really going to master the instrument. YMMV
I think learning to read music is important, but you don't need to be able to read to master the guitar. I'm not a master, but I know some..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #649
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I'd say get a good acoustic with good action. An electric may seem easier to learn on, but what seems to happen is that a person doesn't actually learn completely. An electric guitar is for bands...an acoustic stands on its own and can be extremely satisfying. Then get an electric, too, at some point.
Acoustics and electrics are different beasts. One isn't any better then the other. If his choice in music is more electric then it would make sense to go that route. If it's acoustic then that would make sense. The key thing is to play what you like. If you like the electric guitar it doesn't make much sense to play an acoustic or vice verse. You'll quickly learn to hate the guitar.

Electrics tend to be easier to play as you don't need as much finger strength. Playing an electric without and amp or an acoustic guitar will show you your shortcoming in fingering though. I don't think you need to learn how to read music early on. Learning tabs is a quick way to get started playing something you like fast. But again, that's two different schools of thought.

A popular site is http://www.justinguitar.com/ but there are a bunch of online lessons available. Also check youtube for How-To's.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #650
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
www.ultimate-guitar.com is probably the ADV of the guitar world, considering member size. Tabs for nearly everything, lessons, reviews, etc. The forums themselves are a bit unrefined though, in comparison.

Lessons are abundant online. Youtube is handy. After awhile, maybe subscribe to Guitar World. It helps from the lower-intermediate level up to advanced. However, it's hard to beat a face-to-face lesson once every week or two.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #651
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I've been using Jamplay.com; more lessons and info there than I could ever absorb, but I've learned a lot.
Checkout Justin guitar as well...I was using his program till events made it hurt to play.

Then when I wanted to play something that sounded like something I would do a guitarjamz video, and lean to play a lick or something....just for fun.

Another fun thing is IIRC Songsterr.com.....it is the tab vahalla site. Everything is on there from Black Sabath to the sound track to the waltons.

I was learning the theme from the Sting the other night....super fun. I actually bought a subscription to that site so I could slow down the time and loop....tons of features.....really like this site.

On a side note I tuned down my strat 1/2 step and could actually play, going to do the same to my gretsch.

I only play at home and (off the top of my ever failing memory) had 11's on the gretsch and 9's on the strat....or the other way around....I actually don't remember. Thinking of trying some very light strings to see if that helps....any suggestions for someone that is in the process of losing strength in both hands.....there are days when I can't hold the pick...just falls out of my fingers when I hit the strings.....really ticks one off.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #652
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
any suggestions for someone that is in the process of losing strength in both hands.....there are days when I can't hold the pick...just falls out of my fingers when I hit the strings.....really ticks one off.
Try a thumb pick. It's a slightly different feel but it won't (well, not usually) fall off by accident.

Is this a temporary condition that can be helped with PT, I hope?

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #653
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
On a side note I tuned down my strat 1/2 step and could actually play, going to do the same to my gretsch.

I only play at home and (off the top of my ever failing memory) had 11's on the gretsch and 9's on the strat....or the other way around....I actually don't remember. Thinking of trying some very light strings to see if that helps....any suggestions for someone that is in the process of losing strength in both hands.....there are days when I can't hold the pick...just falls out of my fingers when I hit the strings.....really ticks one off.
My strat came with 9's standard. I don't see any problems with going with 8's if it will help you keep playing. Jimmi Page, Billy Gibbons, BB King use 8's so don't be afraid of experimenting.

You might also try different pics. There are some larger ones that might allow you to get a better grip or at least spread the pressure over a borader area.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #654
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,680
I really like the style of pic I have now....but am looking to try these....anyone seen them...that little hole is suppose to help you keep a hold on the thing....they are called star picks

On a side note....where do they (the picks)go.....I seem to loose them by the bucket. I think the same guy that breaks into my house, walks past car keys, guns, cash and goes straight to my sock drawer and takes just one sock is also taking my picks.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #655
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
www.guitarjamz.com

www.justinguitar.com/

The Marty guitarjamz lessons helped me the most. Along with Rocksmith for XBOX 360, but Rocksmith is for electrics not acoustics. I got an acoustic 20 something years ago, never learned. I had a greater desire to play electric and finally got one in December, can play a couple songs a bunch of licks and the rocksmith really helped build up the speed. I still might try an acoustic in the future, but the electric was the real catalyst to finally learn.

I know you already have an acoustic but more often than not a cheap/beginner acoustic is going to be a P.O.S. for under $200 I got this entire set-up, low action and a very nicely built guitar (and I bet I could get almost all my money back out of it if I decided to sell it!). Sure the thing doesn't sound like a 50's Gibson Les Paul, but a beginner's playing ability doesn't really warrant a multi thousand dollar guitar...

Dukeryder screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 09:11 AM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #656
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I really like the style of pic I have now....but am looking to try these....anyone seen them...that little hole is suppose to help you keep a hold on the thing....they are called star picks

On a side note....where do they (the picks)go.....I seem to loose them by the bucket. I think the same guy that breaks into my house, walks past car keys, guns, cash and goes straight to my sock drawer and takes just one sock is also taking my picks.

Picks are generally cheap so there's no reason you shouldn't try different ones.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #657
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:

I've used those picks. They help a little, but the ones that had a crosshatch or grooved design usually stuck with me better. I've never had much issue hanging on though. A thumbpick is definitely a good idea for someone having a hard time maintaining grip. All sorts to try.

Pick Gremlins is what they were called, if I remember right.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #658
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I figured everyone used a TU-2.

I have both and actually prefer the snark.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #659
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Picks are generally cheap so there's no reason you shouldn't try different ones.
$5K

http://most-expensive.net/guitar-picks
Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #660
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
My son has a Cort Stratocaster clone I can use as well. It seems a little easier to manage than the accoustic. I'll check out some of those sites first, thanks for the tips. I guess it's a muscle memory thing right, playing chords etc with enough repetition that your and positions become reflexive rather than a set of instructions to each individual finger.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: