Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #76
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
the quilt is pretty god damn cool, too.
I will tell my wife that...she made it...we have enough quilts in the house to equip the red army.....I won't tell my wife I said that.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #77
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
I('d serriously love to get back into playing. Havn't done it since I was a kid growing up. Anyone here have a lefty Fender Mex strat they want to sell cheap?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #78
rajflyboy OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyBoy
That's a tough one to cover in a thread - I have one client who builds guitars, but has me set them up for him!

In general, we're refering to how the truss rod is adjusted, how high/low the saddle is adjusted, and what kind of clearance you have at the nut. For electrics we also look at how the pickups are balanced with each other, and across the fingerboard. The truss rod is perhaps the most poorly understood feature on a guitar, and is rarely set properly by most users. It is often used by the novice to adjust the "action", commonly defined as the height of the strings as measured at the 12th fret. What it really does is control the shape of the fingerboard: too much curvature and barre chords are difficult to play in the middle positions, and if too flat or back-bowed you might/will get fret buzz. You want the neck to be "just right" for your style of playing, THEN adjust the action height with the saddle. The nut also needs to be "just right" and typically requires special files to adjust correctly. File too deeply and you just ruined the nut and need to start over with a new one!

The goal is finding the best setup for YOU. If you have a light touch and are playing finger-style jazz, you can get away with light strings, and a low action. If you are flat-picking some loud bluegrass, then you'll probably be using heavier strings and a higher action. Most new players should probably start somewhere in the middle, and evolve from there.

In addition to understanding the process, you often need special tools. Most players do not have the resources to get this dialed in right - the best $65 spent on your guitar would be for you to find a good guitar tech who knows how to do a good setup for you. And to complicate things a bit, changing string tensions, and changes in humidity can change the guitar's shape a bit, causing changes in the setup. These effects vary depending on the guitar. Once you have a good setup dialed in, try to stay with the same strings, and try to control the humidity of the room the guitar lives in. Case humidifiers are also advised, depending on your climate, time of year, and the kind of guitar - ask your locally-owned guitar store for more info (as mentioned in a previous thread, most big-box salespersons will be of no help).
Thanks for the advice!!
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #79
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,402
was at the guitar store monday looking for a new epi les paul because i have a huge cock and don't need gibson written on the headstock when i accidentally picked up a taylor big baby. i was in no way looking for an acoustic guitar...

but it plays so nice...

not mine...internet photo.

Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #80
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
+1 on the Big Baby!
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #81
Daniii
Banned

Oddometer: 22,718
Taylor makes a great sounding dreadnaught.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #82
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,291
Question

I was at Target an hour ago and they had this USB cable you can plug into your geetar and load up some software. It was about $41 bucks. Looks cool as hell. Anyone here tried this?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Beginner.asp

This isn't the exact product, but the closest I could find. I'm just asking before I go out and get it. This is the closest I could find online...

http://www.target.com/First-Act-222-...i_detailbutton

D.T. screwed with this post 02-20-2010 at 05:04 PM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #83
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,402
has to be just as good as taking your guitar and a cassette recorder into the shower.
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #84
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I was at Target an hour ago and they had this USB cable you can plug into your geetar and load up some software. It was about $41 bucks. Looks cool as hell. Anyone here tried this?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Beginner.asp

This isn't the exact product, but the closest I could find. I'm just asking before I go out and get it. This is the closest I could find online...

http://www.target.com/First-Act-222-...i_detailbutton
I don't know if it's been discussed already, but right next to me is the Line6 GuitarPort; probably the most commonly used pre-production tool for guitar.

When it comes down to an armchair rockstar, it's all you need... well GuitarPort, FruityLoops, and Audition.

Seriously. I'm not going to name any names, but there are (fairly famous) albums out there recorded with just this setup, and you'd never know*..

*Edit: The cymbals are the hardest thing to get to sound right on a computer.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #85
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,380
I have Line6 POD Studio GX. Not really sure what the difference is between it and the GuitarPort....look similar in operation. Anyway, it seems fine. My netbook can't quite keep up with it at times and I get some weird echos.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #86
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,481
Yeah, it's f'ed with this computer for sure. I don't know why. Sometimes it works right, though.

But, if you want to create what sounds like a legit band, the combo I listed above is where it's at.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #87
Dudelookslikealady
Somewhere Else

Oddometer: 78
[IMG][/IMG]
Dudelookslikealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #88
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,291
That line 6 guitar port looks to be a bit better, but it costs $100 bucks.

I may try one here when funding allows. It always comes down to the how much $$$ you can scrounge up...

SEND MONEY PLEASE.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #89
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
I didn't read the entire thread. Sorry if this is 205 but, it's a nice little something else you can learn to do on your guitar.

Purdy simple.

Purdy neato.

Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #90
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
Taylor makes a great sounding dreadnaught.

It's my favorite.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: