User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #1036
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
Hey guys my son had been playing for about a year now. I am looking for an electric acoustic for him, he plays anything from Metallica to Tom Petty but leans towards the heavy side ,does antone have any suggestions?
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1037
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
now you've done it..I've been biting it back as I just bought a new guitar like 2 weeks ago but a $499 Gibson SG was just too good to pass up. This 70's tribute SG just showed up today, spent a couple hours with it. Great little no frills guitar that sounds pretty good and meaty with some drive going into the amp. I think between the SG and the Telecaster I'm pretty good now.

I've primarily always been into single coils before, I have a Epiphone SG Custom Shop that I never really took too. the pickups always sounded muddy no matter how I adjusted them. This 70's though is a lot cleaner sounding and seems to have better definition. It's also probably 2lbs lighter than the epiphone and has a little beefier neck. Definitely digging this guitar so far, it's a keeper.
I'm not in charge of your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Hey guys my son had been playing for about a year now. I am looking for an electric acoustic for him, he plays anything from Metallica to Tom Petty but leans towards the heavy side ,does antone have any suggestions?
Is there any reason it has to be an electric-acoustic? Both those examples are purely electric. Humbuckers would give you the heavy sound. Tom Petty plays a Strat or a Rickenbacker. And I think Kirk Hammett plays ESP's and James Hetfield plays an Explorer, Flying V and a Les Paul. I think James mainly plays ESP's as well though.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #1038
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
Fender pulled its IPO last July but I just read about it this week. Interesting insight into the relationships between Fender, Guitar Center and Mitt Romney's Bain Capital:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/...ulled-its-ipo/
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #1039
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Forgot to post this. If it's correct, there's going to be a lot of changed with the Gibson Lineup. Not sure if I agree with them all.

The only one I do like is that the Traditional are not going to have a Vintage body with no weight-relieves or chambering. Other then that I don't really care for all the name changing. A 2013 USA Quilt Top Standard is only $300 less then a Custom Shop 1958 Reissue VOS is crazy. The regular USA Standard is only $2599 and is the exact same thing minus the quilt top.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...b=popular&pn=1
This cracked me up in Sweetwater's description:

Quote:
The Les Paul Traditional features a beautiful AA figured maple top, non-weight-relieved mahogany body and ...

Quote:
The Les Paul Signature T sports Gibson's traditional weight-relieved body
So the tradition is to weight-relieve... or not?

I've played several of the weight-relieved LPs and they all sound thin.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1040
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,564
My plonking noises are getting slightly better. According to Steam i've played rocksmith for 140 hours now.

2 hours this particular session.

I can no longer tell if im hitting th keys when i type with my left hand. well with everything except the pinky, which appears to be too short to play anything but the high e string.

And for the first time in my life i can actually hear and understand when something out of tune. Not which way its out yet, but i'm working on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #1041
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
My plonking noises are getting slightly better. According to Steam i've played rocksmith for 140 hours now.

2 hours this particular session.

I can no longer tell if im hitting th keys when i type with my left hand. well with everything except the pinky, which appears to be too short to play anything but the high e string.

And for the first time in my life i can actually hear and understand when something out of tune. Not which way its out yet, but i'm working on it.

I still need to get that game for messing around on a yet to be bought guitar
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #1042
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
This cracked me up in Sweetwater's description:

So the tradition is to weight-relieve... or not?

I've played several of the weight-relieved LPs and they all sound thin.
The Signature T isn't the same as the Traditional. The Les Paul Traditional is actually the old spec Standard. Pre- 2008 spec, IIRC.

By, "traditional weight-relieved body" they mean the 7-hole Swiss cheese which started around 1983. I guess you could call 30 years a tradition. But the Les Paul's everyone considers the pinnacle are the 1958, 1959 and 1960 guitars. These are solid body guitars with no wood removed for the sake of making them lighter. All of the Reissue/Historic's (ie., Gibson Custom Shop) are still built this way.

I really like my 2012 spec. Standard. They are weight-relieved but not chambered. It's a different process then the older 7-hole though. Sounds nice and full. I don't really like the chambered LP's. They removed too much wood and they sound thin as you said.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #1043
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
So, the more I post on here, the more you guys are gonna figure out that I've got it bad...if you haven't already!

Anyhow, thought I'd share another "amp" I just got that is pretty darn cool. AmpliTube for iPhone and iPad.

While not the absolute best sounds I've ever heard from a headphone amp, the sheer number of amps, effects, cabinet and microphone selections make this one a keeper. I have my phone with me all the time. Now, I have a studio with an awesome assortment of amps as well! On the down side, it is not a universal app. One would have to buy the app for the iPhone and again for the iPad. I was kinda pissed about that but, whatever. It didn't stop me.

I didn't get the iRig to run the app. I'm using the Griffin GuitarConnect Cable works like a charm!

Not sure if there is an android alternative.

EDIT:

There is no Android alternative as far as I can find.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:10 PM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #1044
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
So, the more I post on here, the more you guys are gonna figure out that I've got it bad...if you haven't already!

Anyhow, thought I'd share another "amp" I just got that is pretty darn cool. AmpliTube for iPhone and iPad.

While not the absolute best sounds I've ever heard from a headphone amp, the sheer number of amps, effects, cabinet and microphone selections make this one a keeper. I have my phone with me all the time. Now, I have a studio with an awesome assortment of amps as well! On the down side, it is not a universal app. One would have to buy the app for the iPhone and again for the iPad. I was kinda pissed about that but, whatever. It didn't stop me.

I didn't get the iRig to run the app. I'm using the Griffin GuitarConnect Cable works like a charm!

Not sure if there is an android alternative.

EDIT:

There is no Android alternative as far as I can find.
I have Fender's Ampitube for my Mac but I have never really used it. I think it's available for PC as well. I still prefer to play through a tube amp with no pedals though.

There is also Apple's GarageBand.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #1045
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Quote:
I still prefer to play through a tube amp with no pedals though.
Well, yeah. I'm talking about for when that's not an option...Like at 3 in the morning when the kids are asleep, etc.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #1046
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Well, yeah. I'm talking about for when that's not an option...Like at 3 in the morning when the kids are asleep, etc.
That's the best time! Actually, my amp has an out so I can use headphones.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1047
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,735
Quote:
I'm using 5w ( Blackstar Tube amp) and it's too loud for my house. I'm sure 22w is something you could gig if you want to. Does it have a master vol? That would make a huge difference. My HT-5 doesn't have one so to get the tubes to sing you have to crank it.
5w?

I have a 60w (with powerbrake) practice amp and a 120w tube half-stack.

....Well ok both are really to loud, I just don't care.

Quote:
Without spending a TON of money on something like a Parker Fly or PRS P22 there is no way to accomplish that with one guitar.

What price range are you looking in? A lot of electrics guitars have humbuckers with taps that you can make either single pick-up or dual operation which give a HUGE variety in what you can do with them.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #1048
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

There is also JamUp Pro XT I'll be checking it out later. One thing I like better about it already is one app for both iPhone and iPad.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #1049
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Getting acoustic and electric sound is tough, so I was going to recommend an Epiphone Les Paul. They're cheap and good.

But then, I realized, you can still peg that acoustic sound with an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. I think they're on the 3rd generation now, but the older ones could go cheap, and have an acoustic sound. Here's the newest one:

Now you'll need an amp or two to go with it. I'd recommend finding an Ultra or Ultra II and getting a decent little Fender amp, maybe the Mustang ones people like nowadays. Huge variety of sounds that way. The only issue is you won't really have an acoustic for campfires and such. But a modeling amp and an Ultra II would've kept me happy for years.

assquatch20 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 10:05 PM
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #1050
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
5w?

I have a 60w (with powerbrake) practice amp and a 120w tube half-stack.

....Well ok both are really to loud, I just don't care.
I'm getting a little tired of my HT-5. It's a really good amp for the money but I'm looking for something different. Too Marshally, I guess. (Blackstar was started by a bunch of ex-Marshall engineers.) I'm thinking about building a Blackface Vibro Champ. 5w but all tube Class AB. Fender's EC Vibro-Champ is really nice but not $2000 nice. Especially when an amp kit is only $400 and has better parts.

Jeffy screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 10:10 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: