User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #1351
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Wow, I can't believe I've been on Advrider as long as I have and I'm just now finding this thread. I had a bit of an addiction with buying and selling guitars until just recently. Actually, I played for 20+ years with basically the same two guitars until 2008, and then I got caught up in the guitar forums. Since then, I've bought, sold, or traded nearly 40 guitars. I typically never have more than say five at a time; I just move one on and try something else. The past few years have been very fun, but I'm finally starting to settle down. Here are some highlights of what I've owned. Sit down and grab a coffee or a beer, this could take a while!

1960 Gibson LG-0: My first guitar ever. It was my mom's guitar since she went to college. Lovely little lap guitar, and one of 3 that I will never sell.

1991 American Standard Strat: Another of the three I'll never sell. My first electric, it was my absolute dream guitar when I was 12 (still is, actually) and my dad surprised me with it for my 13th birthday.

This Benedetto Bambino was my "gateway drug". It was the first guitar I lusted after in over 20 years, and it opened the flood gates to all the others that would follow.

This Taylor 214E was my first nice acoustic (the first of many!):

This Gretsch Setzer came soon after:

Collings D1Mh (all mahogany dread). This thing was awesome and I miss it.

1990 Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue pictured with my number 1 electric:

John Mayer Strat that sounded great, but didn't compare with my '91:

At some point, I traded the Bambino above for this Martin CF-2:

I bought this Collings City Limits to compare to the Les Paul with the intention of only keeping one of them. The Collings won that fight.

I don't miss many of the guitars I gave up, but this Grosh Tele is one that I do:

This is a very old and rare "family photo" that I took. I have far less guitars now, but the ones I have are VERY good.

My four year old daughter's Daisy Rock guitar. It actually sounds pretty good, and I've thought about using it for a song or two at a gig to make her smile!

A cool all-mahogany Vox I owned for a bit:

A beautiful Warmoth project Strat that I never finished:

Some amps. The Peavey 410 in the middle was my first good amp, and is the only one that remains. Something about it is perfect for me. I bought maybe 4 or 5 boutique or high end amps, and none of them ever sounded better than the Peavey to me, so luckily I avoided a major amp addiction.

A cheap partscaster that I bought. I really can't remember why.

A very nice angled Strat neck I bought at one point. Never did anything with it!

Eastman AR-904 acoustic archtop:

1967 Martin D-18. I sold it, and when it arrived at the new owner's house it had a cracked headstock. Damn shippers!

An Epiphone Elitist Broadway that I bought. It showed up with 7” cracks on both “F” holes. The shippers strike again!

Bourgeois OMC - beautiful guitar that I just didn't like the sound of.

A Collings D1SB that I owned with the D1Mh for a while:

A stunningly gorgeous Bourgeois LC-4 limited edition archtop:

Nice back!

Which I traded for this equally beautiful Applegate SJ in Brazilian RW:

Another nice back!

The 2nd Benedetto Bambino I owned, after I modified it with TV Jones Filtertrons and a Bigsby:

A gorgeous Benedetto Bravo that I bought on eBay. The deal fell through. I can't remember why, I think I got a weird vibe from the seller and cancelled. Too bad, it looked like a great guitar:

A beautiful redwood/walnut Lowden:

Yet another amazing back!

Eastman E10 OM:

A 1996 Martin 000-28EC Eric Clapton. This one surprised me - it had such a beatifully lush sound, it's one of the ones I miss too.

AMAZINGLY gorgeous 1933 Gibson L-7. Another of the very few that I miss. I keep in touch with the new owner though, and he'll give me first right of refusal if he ever sells.

Paragon MJ:

Can you tell that I like nice backs?

Gretsch Setzer # 2, a purple Hot Rod. I liked the orange one much better.

Eastman AR-371 (ES-175 copy) with a cool old Gibson GA-20 amp that belongs to my grandfather, but is on loan with me. The pair sounded phenomenal together!

Ahhhh, the Benedetto Frank Vignola model. I have mixed feelings. It was so gorgeous and fun to play, and I truly wanted to love it, but it just didn't fit me somehow. She resides in Australia now.

Collings D2HA - phenomenal guitar. I would miss it, if I didn't have a Collings acoustic that I like even more now.

A Tom Bills Genesis that I lusted after for years upon years. Finally got a great deal on a used one, and alas, it's just not right for me. For sale, if anyone wants a really cool acoustic!

Just look at that bracing! It's art!

And finally, the two guitars that are my current go-to’s, the 22 year old Strat and a Collings CJ:

The sad thing is, that wasn’t even all of them!

Yep, I’m definitely a recovering addict….

EDIT - I knew I was forgetting a few!

Collings D1A:

Eastman AR810CE:

Thorell Frank Vignola model:

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 01:47 PM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1352
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Did some new tolex on this one recently. Sounds nice with a Les Paul plugged straight in

Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #1353
LPcreation
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Awesome guitars Backdrifter! You have a great eye for those beautiful backs!

One little thing that I don't even want to comment on, is that I'm pretty sure that Les Paul is a "Classic", and not a "1960" reissue. The unconvered pickups, greenish inlays, and top hats knobs with thumbcutters are all standard on the Classics.

Regardless, awesome post! Loved seeing all those beauties!
LPcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #1354
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPcreation View Post
Awesome guitars Backdrifter! You have a great eye for those beautiful backs!

One little thing that I don't even want to comment on, is that I'm pretty sure that Les Paul is a "Classic", and not a "1960" reissue. The unconvered pickups, greenish inlays, and top hats knobs with thumbcutters are all standard on the Classics.

Regardless, awesome post! Loved seeing all those beauties!
Thanks much! Yes, I believe you are correct. It was not an "R0", as the new reissues are called. It had "1960" on the pickguard, and I think I got myself confused on lingo - too many damn guitars! The gentleman I bought it from used to work at Gibson and had owned it since new. He told me that it predated the custom shop R0, but was very similar in specs. It was a really nice guitar for sure, but ultimately not a keeper for me.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1355
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
I'll give a $100 for that guitar where they put the sound hole in the wrong place.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #1356
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I had a bit of an addiction with buying and selling guitars until just recently.
None of those look like they've ever been played
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #1357
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
None of those look like they've ever been played

Oh come on! The 1960 LG-0 has very clearly been played!

To be fair, I owned most of the guitars pictured for a few months at the most, so they weren't played much - by me anyway! I am definitely anal about my guitars, but I also play pretty mellow. I play out, but mostly at low key bars, wineries, etc. Never any rocking clubs. And beyond that, I'm a couch guitar hero. It's a lot easier to keep guitars looking new in those kinds of atmospheres. Not a lot of mosh pits going on while I'm playing jazz standards!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #1358
PolyrhythmFX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm relatively new to the forum. Just recently picked up my first bike.

I've been into guitar for about 6-7 years. My second job consists of audio repair to PA systems, guitar amps, home stereos, etc. I also occasionally build/mod guitar effects pedals as well. One of the best results is its opened my ears to music I wouldn't have given a chance before and I've made some friends in the process of buying/selling/repairing/modding gear.

As far as guitars:
1994 Gibson LP Classic Plus
1997 PRS CE 24
Agile 3100

Amps:
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Mesa Rect-O-Verb
Laney GH100L
Laney AOR 50 Series II
Roland JC-77
Line 6 Spider Valve 1X12 (works better as a doorstop)

Cabs:
2 - Mesa Rectifier 4X12's
Mesa Stiletto 4X12

Synths:
Moog Taurus 3
Access Virus kb
Yamaha DX-7 II

The PRS belonged to Aaron Turner of ISIS. It was his main guitar for the band's first 2 EP's and was used on the "Celestial" tour.

PolyrhythmFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #1359
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Wow, fantastic stuff Backdrifter!

My personal favorites are the Benedetto, the Borgouis, the orange Setzer (I just saw him play his Christmas show and my girlfriend loved the purple Gretsch like yours!) and being the owner of a doghair-finished Collings 290 and getting ready to order a D2 of course I really loved your City Limits Deluxe, and that D1 with the western sunburst! That flamed maple Paragon was also gorgeous! I would love to find a great deal on pretty, flamed maple dreadnought, just because I think it's one of the prettiest instruments made, but I've never been able to fall in love with the sound of an all-maple dread. The all-mahogany D1 was also pretty cool, and something you just don't see very often. I just got a deep-body Martin OO in all mahogany, and I love the mellow, woody tone it has. I've never heard an all-mahogany D1 and I'm guessing it has more of that woodiness that the spruce-topped D1, which have such great volume and articulation. I'm a sucker for a big sound, so right now I'm leaning toward a D2 with a german adirondack top. If I didn't already have a Martin with a pretty sunburst I'd also go for that western sunburst, but I think I'm going very traditional on my D2, no neck binding and a very simple headstock. As much as I love a little bling, I want my first really nice dreadnought to be a very simple instrument. After that will be a blonde City Limits Deluxe with a quilted maple top, and a flamed I-35 with a root beer sunburst! Given the style of music you play and your obvious love for Collings' instruments, I'm kind of surprised I didn't see an I-35 on your list!

I've was surfing eBay today looking at original '57 Les Paul Jr's, and that's never a good thing, especially since I did my taxes the other day and I'm actually getting a decent and unexpected refund!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Josephvman screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 10:20 PM
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #1360
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Man I want a triple rec.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #1361
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Thanks again Chuck.

How about another. '03 Gibson J-45 RW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlGzM3E4EY
Nice! So when are you going on tour?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #1362
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Thorell Frank Vignola model:

I see you have had a couple Frank Vignola models. Have you ever seen him perform? I saw him a year ago with Tommy Emmanuel, it was an amazing show.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #1363
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Wow, fantastic stuff Backdrifter!

My personal favorites are the Benedetto, the Borgouis, the orange Setzer (I just saw him play his Christmas show and my girlfriend loved the purple Gretsch like yours!) and being the owner of a doghair-finished Collings 290 and getting ready to order a D2 of course I really loved your City Limits Deluxe, and that D1 with the western sunburst! That flamed maple Paragon was also gorgeous! I would love to find a great deal on pretty, flamed maple dreadnought, just because I think it's one of the prettiest instruments made, but I've never been able to fall in love with the sound of an all-maple dread. The all-mahogany D1 was also pretty cool, and something you just don't see very often. I just got a deep-body Martin OO in all mahogany, and I love the mellow, woody tone it has. I've never heard an all-mahogany D1 and I'm guessing it has more of that woodiness that the spruce-topped D1, which have such great volume and articulation. I'm a sucker for a big sound, so right now I'm leaning toward a D2 with a german adirondack top. If I didn't already have a Martin with a pretty sunburst I'd also go for that western sunburst, but I think I'm going very traditional on my D2, no neck binding and a very simple headstock. As much as I love a little bling, I want my first really nice dreadnought to be a very simple instrument. After that will be a blonde City Limits Deluxe with a quilted maple top, and a flamed I-35 with a root beer sunburst! Given the style of music you play and your obvious love for Collings' instruments, I'm kind of surprised I didn't see an I-35 on your list!

I've was surfing eBay today looking at original '57 Les Paul Jr's, and that's never a good thing, especially since I did my taxes the other day and I'm actually getting a decent and unexpected refund!
Thanks! It's been a fun ride. There are very few guitars that I've wanted that I can't say I've owned. It's a good thing I'm not a hoarder - I could never afford to own all of these at once! A few things in response to your comments:

The orange Setzer was great. I too saw the BSO Christmas Show, I think in 2009 in Nashville. It was phenomenal! What a way to kick off the Holiday. That guy can still play, it was really, really good.

The D1 was actually a "Style 3" sunburst. It looks like a western shaded top because it was so bright out that day. It was a nice guitar.

As you can tell, yes, I love Collings guitars. I've owned many, and every single one has been amazing sounding and perfect in fit and finish. They are my absolute bar when it comes to fit and finish. I've had guitars that cost two or three times as much, but to my ear the Collings guitars always sound better. They're certainly not cheap, but when you factor in what you get, they are a bargain in my book. Yes, an I-35 or a Soco Deluxe would be a welcome addition to my stable at some point, and I still wouldn't rule the possibility out in the future. I'm just taking a break for now because my guitar lust started to overbear my practicing. I became more worried about getting a new guitar then learning a new song - the tail was wagging the dog and it shouldn't be that way! By the way, if you get the chance, take the Collings tour. I've done it three times now - fantastic people, great shop. You'll only come away from it liking them even more!

The 00 deep body sounds really cool - did you by chance get it from LA Guitars? They have some nice custom all-mahogany Martins available. I love mahogany tops. They are bit more mellow with less overtones than spruce guitars. The D1Mh was a monster. Mahogany is not always quieter just because it sounds fatter. That guitar was LOUD and strong. I miss it - it was my first Collings. I had a chance to buy it back recently, but the CJ is really working well for me so I passed.

Spend that refund on guitars, my friend! It is up to you to stimulate the economy through purchases, and what better purchase than a shiny new (or old) guitar?

My wife and I have our second on the way, so I'm taking it easy for a while - however, the thought of having a custom build made to commemorate the new baby HAS crossed my mind!

By the way, my D2HA was another beast of a guitar. With clarity. And projection. And tone for days. A great all-rounder. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with a D2/German. And I'm with you, I'm actually not big into the bling (despite what some of the guitars above seem to suggest) - a nicely appointed traditional looking dread is perfect. There's a reason most flat tops still resemble prewar Martins - Martin got the aesthetics right!

Thanks for the comments!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #1364
LPcreation
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Thanks much! Yes, I believe you are correct. It was not an "R0", as the new reissues are called. It had "1960" on the pickguard, and I think I got myself confused on lingo - too many damn guitars! The gentleman I bought it from used to work at Gibson and had owned it since new. He told me that it predated the custom shop R0, but was very similar in specs. It was a really nice guitar for sure, but ultimately not a keeper for me.
No problem! You are correct in that the early models of the Classic pre-dated the R0's and their prices are reflected on the market! The 1990-1993 LP Classics are the creme of the crop in that line (btw - totally agree Gibson has way too damn many lines). The had really slim tapered necks, white inlays, and the headstock said "model" instead of "Classic". Really great guitars and very collectable. An LP Classic from 90-93 easily goes for over $2k.

I had a 91 honeyburst and my #1 is 96 Goldtop that's heavily modded. Both Classics and great guitars. Thanks again for showing us your collection.
LPcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #1365
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
I see you have had a couple Frank Vignola models. Have you ever seen him perform? I saw him a year ago with Tommy Emmanuel, it was an amazing show.
Hi Charles,

Yes, sir. Frank is one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite guitarist ever. I've seen him live four times now. The first was for the Mel Bay recording of "Frank Vignola Live at the Sheldon" in St. Louis (a great DVD well worth owning if you haven't seen it). I had recently purchased my first Benedetto, and at the time, Frank was still playing his Benedetto. I saw his name on Benedetto's website as one of their endorsers, so I asked my dad if he wanted to go see him with me. We knew nothing else of him, and had no idea what to expect. Holy crap were we floored! Since then, we've both become HUGE Vignola fans, and we see him every time he comes close.

Last time he came through he was at a little jazz club in STL called Jazz at the Bistro. We sat at a table right up against the stage. It was just him and Vinny, and as always, man, did they put on a show!

Even better, that same day Frank lead a guitar workshop at a local store. I signed up and expected it to be a classroom of 40 or 50 people - basically a cluster. But, it was only $20 ($5 less than tickets to the show) and I wanted the opportunity to learn from Frank, so I went. I showed up and there were SIX people total, plus Frank and Vinny! We sat in a small circle and jammed together. It was one of the best guitar experiences of my sad existence. Truly phenomenal! I still had the Benedetto Vignola guitar at that point, and it was fun to hear him talk about the model. He was pretty surprised when i walked through the door with it!

I also saw Frank with Tommy Emmanuel - that was another great one, and Tommy is no slouch either. Actually, I think Tommy is a much more flexible player than Frank, but overall I gravitate towards Frank's playing more.

I always try to turn people on to Frank. Even people that aren't into guitar or jazz or gypsy jazz, or whatever. I tell them to go to just one of his shows. Him and Vinny are so entertaining and put on such a great show that I think anyone would become a fan after seeing them live.

1973 BMW R60/5:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: